Author Topic: Peaceful Contact possible?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Schwam (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
Peaceful Contact possible?
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
Is it possible to make a peaceful first contact with an alien species? Every time i find an alien race, it ends with a salvo of missiles hitting my survey vessel. The closest I've come is having my survey ship blasted away, then my second ship not being fired upon. I left it in system to establish communications, and an alien fleet marked neutral sat near my ship. It stayed that way for about a month, then they blasted my ship again. So can I make contact with a race without my ships being blown away?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Peaceful Contact possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 11:01:55 PM »
Quote from: "Schwam"
Is it possible to make a peaceful first contact with an alien species? Every time i find an alien race, it ends with a salvo of missiles hitting my survey vessel. The closest I've come is having my survey ship blasted away, then my second ship not being fired upon. I left it in system to establish communications, and an alien fleet marked neutral sat near my ship. It stayed that way for about a month, then they blasted my ship again. So can I make contact with a race without my ships being blown away?

Go read the "Diplomatic Rules" link on the "Useful Posts" thread in the Tutorials board viewtopic.php?f=101&t=1963

Four things that are relevant to your situation:

1)  Some aliens will be hostile on sight - there's not a lot you can do about them.

2)  If you've got a ship in a system where they have a population, and they're picking you up on active sensors they're going to become more and more hostile towards you.

3)  You don't need to stay in the same system to attempt communications/diplomacy.  Once you've picked them up on an active sensor (or any sensor in 5.0, I believe), then they should show up in the Diplomacy screen and you should be able to do diplomacy stuff with them (like attempt to open communications and assign a diplomatic team).

4)  The most important thing you can do to make them like you (other than actively p***ing them off :-) ) is to assign a high-bonus dimplomatic team to them.  This will slowly bias them towards liking you.  For early game, you should be able to scrape together 5 commanders with bonuses of ~20 or more - you should use the best 5 in your fleet.  Note that you can train diplomats up before you meet aliens by assigning them as Public Affairs Officers on task force staffs - I tend to make sure my top diplomats (that aren't in teams) are filling all such slots.

John

Offline Schwam (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »
Ha Ha... guess that makes sense. I guess flying my survey ship straight at their homeworld and expecting a hug wasn't exactly a smart idea... I ended up conquering them anyways, and used their maps to exploit all their discoveries. I guess it worked out after all.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:28:30 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Note that you can train diplomats up before you meet aliens by assigning them as Public Affairs Officers on task force staffs - I tend to make sure my top diplomats (that aren't in teams) are filling all such slots.

John
You can also train them up by assigning a team to the Precursors or Star Swarm. They won't accomplish anything, but their diplomacy skills will go up anyway. (This is probably a bug.)

Offline Schwam (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »
Quote from: "Vanigo"
Note that you can train diplomats up before you meet aliens by assigning them as Public Affairs Officers on task force staffs - I tend to make sure my top diplomats (that aren't in teams) are filling all such slots.

John
You can also train them up by assigning a team to the Precursors or Star Swarm. They won't accomplish anything, but their diplomacy skills will go up anyway. (This is probably a bug.)

Star Swarm? I've encountered precursors before and even killed a few of their ships, but Star Swarm reminds me of pretty much every evil all consuming race I've ever encountered in Science Fiction... tell me they aren't like Replicators.

Offline Venec

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 03:41:12 AM »
They're just basically space roaches  :mrgreen:

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 06:19:03 AM »
!!!! SPOILER BELOW !!!!!

[spoiler:3n4exafa]I belive they grow over time, so the longer you leave them alone, the harder the fight afterwards.

I encoutered two of them in systems adjectet to Sol _very_ early. They had some 50 to 70 of their dreaded FACs.
It´s now 10 years later and I am finally getting my military ready. I send a throwaway probe in and it encoutered 250+ FACs.

Seems like I have to step up military expenditure even more.[/spoiler:3n4exafa]
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Schwam (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
!!!! SPOILER BELOW !!!!!

[spoiler:292rtqnc]I belive they grow over time, so the longer you leave them alone, the harder the fight afterwards.

I encoutered two of them in systems adjectet to Sol _very_ early. They had some 50 to 70 of their dreaded FACs.
It´s now 10 years later and I am finally getting my military ready. I send a throwaway probe in and it encoutered 250+ FACs.

Seems like I have to step up military expenditure even more.[/spoiler:292rtqnc]

I think I may have encountered them before on one of my "Roman Empire in Space" Games. Do they attack in [spoiler:292rtqnc]masses of 800 ton gunboats with mesons that go incredibly fast?[/spoiler:292rtqnc]

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 02:56:35 PM »
Yes.

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 06:22:54 PM »
For early game, you should be able to scrape together 5 commanders with bonuses of ~20 or more - you should use the best 5 in your fleet.  Note that you can train diplomats up before you meet aliens by assigning them as Public Affairs Officers on task force staffs - I tend to make sure my top diplomats (that aren't in teams) are filling all such slots.

John

I've actually noticed that a diplomatic team will raise its own skill over time, whether they are assigned or not. Whenever I start a new game, I create a new Diplomatic team and just have them sit on Earth and, I assume, practice with themselves.
(@)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 10:42:15 AM »
In earlier versions of Aurora, every officer was like this - they would increase their skills over time; if they had an assignment, they would increase their sills in the assignments area.  Steve is slowly moving to an 'only improve through doing' model, but it's taking a few versions to get all officers / administrators / scientists switched over in all situations.