Author Topic: Any other suggestions on a resolution workaround?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Dilrek (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • D
Any other suggestions on a resolution workaround?
« on: February 27, 2010, 07:32:36 AM »
I'm currently attempting to play from my 18.4" widescreen laptop.  I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit edition on an Acer Aspire 8930.  Unfortunately the maximum resolution that I can seem to assign is 1680x960 which is just a smidge too short.  I would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer any suggestions on workarounds, outside of what I have tried:

• Forcing a higher resolution.  Computer doesn't seem to like it as it fails at the attempt immediately and swaps the screen size to 800x600.  I am trying this through the Nvidia Control panel for my GEForce 9600M video card.
  • The 360 panorama view.  I didn't download it because someone told me it only extends the desktop horizontally.  If I received some bad information please let me know and I'll be happy to give that a try.
  • Window Resizer.  It horrifically garbles the text even if I'm expanding the window horizontally.
  • sdesk (I believe that's the file name mentioned in the installation helpfile for working around the resolution requirement).  It isn't listed as Vista compatible.  If anyone has tried it on Vista and had some success I'll give it a try now, otherwise I'm saving this one for later.
  • Getting another monitor.  I'm working on getting an external monitor hooked up which should fix my problem, but I'm still interested in possible workarounds for playing on the go.

Right now I'm looking for virtual desktop programs in general through Google, but mostly what I am finding are Linux-esque multiple desktop applications.

EDIT: I've gotten it working.  Found a post here: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2033 that explained using sdesk and window resizer for XP and the method works equally well in Windows Vista.

Offline VariousArtist

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
Re: Any other suggestions on a resolution workaround?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:34:38 AM »
Cos youve mentioned linuxeque desktop, have you tried to give KDE for Windows a try? http://windows.kde.org/
I havent used it so not sure if it can help you.