Author Topic: Creating a Universe  (Read 1236 times)

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Creating a Universe
« on: March 11, 2010, 05:56:55 AM »
Well, I guess I askred this question somewhere already, but can't quite remember.
So, I was fiddling with the SM functions a little, creating Systems, Empires and so on, thought about a little RP stuff whenever I get bored with my current game.

So, I got a few questions, some of them I fear could require official input.

1. Is it possible to create or delete a system in a specific place? Like, build a system without Jumppoints and then create some in a system to link them together. So far I only managed to just create a system, but I can't modify them, nor can I see where they actually are.

2. Can races only breath Oxygen or Methane? I mean, when SM-Creating an Empire, I figured it would be nice to just set it to whatever gases are available.

3. Is there a way to make NPRs ignore a specific system altogether? To simulate a dangerous environment that obviously isn't existant in the game atm, like, a black hole.

4. Can there also be nebulas without stars in it, like, after a Supernova? I know thats recreateable by just deleting the friggin star, but is it technically possible, or will it lead to problems?

5.Is it possible to modify files to have stuff like a 200cm laser? Would make for a much more threatening 'bossfight'^^

Thanks in advance.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Creating a Universe
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:31 AM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
Well, I guess I askred this question somewhere already, but can't quite remember.
So, I was fiddling with the SM functions a little, creating Systems, Empires and so on, thought about a little RP stuff whenever I get bored with my current game.

So, I got a few questions, some of them I fear could require official input.

1. Is it possible to create or delete a system in a specific place? Like, build a system without Jumppoints and then create some in a system to link them together. So far I only managed to just create a system, but I can't modify them, nor can I see where they actually are.

2. Can races only breath Oxygen or Methane? I mean, when SM-Creating an Empire, I figured it would be nice to just set it to whatever gases are available.

3. Is there a way to make NPRs ignore a specific system altogether? To simulate a dangerous environment that obviously isn't existant in the game atm, like, a black hole.

4. Can there also be nebulas without stars in it, like, after a Supernova? I know thats recreateable by just deleting the friggin star, but is it technically possible, or will it lead to problems?

5.Is it possible to modify files to have stuff like a 200cm laser? Would make for a much more threatening 'bossfight'^^

Thanks in advance.
1.)  You can create a system, delete all existing jump points.  On the System display screen (F9) there is a tab for jump points.  You can add, modify and delete jump points.  You can also break the link between two jump points and have the point in the system go to another system.  I have noticed that even if the jp is not explored I sometimes have to click the break link button before I can assign it to another system.  If you have explored the system with the current default race then the system name will show up.  If not then you will see the system number.  Either will allow you to pick what systems you want to connect to.  As far as modding them you will either want to start the game as a random start with a SM race, or remember to survey the system.  There is a button to do this if you are in SM mode.

2.)  The only two choices currently are Oxygen and Methane breathing races.

3.)  There is currently no way to have an NPR that is computer controlled ignore a specific system.  You can however put a limit on what system numbers they will discover as they explore outwards.  On the Race Info screen (cntl+F2) there is a box for the range of system numbers they can access.  This is a way to let them develop without automatically running into them.  That is as close as you can get.  If their is an open jump point between two systems they can find it and explore through it even if the limit on systems is still in place.  That only applies to going through a jp that no one has ever explored before.

4.)  Don't know if you will have problems.

5.)  Yes you can mod the database if you can hack it.  If you do run into problems though Steve is a lot less likely to be able to help, and if it is a major problem he probably won't want to take the time if it is related to the changes you made.  For your idea of a 200cm laser you will probably run into problems on the damage template to use.

Good luck with your ideas

Brian

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: Creating a Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:19:08 AM »
Thanks for the quick answers. That certainly makes stuff a lot easier.
Guess I'll have to suggest more breathable gases, then ;)