Author Topic: Constant Low Fuel Warning on PDC  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Tssha (OP)

• Petty Officer
Constant Low Fuel Warning on PDC
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:45:21 PM »
So I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I've made a mistake in the design.   I've tried to revise the design a little but every time the game goes through its 5 day cycle it reminds me that Viper Nests 001 and 002 are out of fuel.

Design below.

Code: [Select]
Viper Nest class Planetary Fighter Base    6,650 tons     154 Crew     691 BP      TCS 133  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 8-31     Sensors 5/10     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Hangar Deck Capacity 5000 tons     

Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range N/A
Active Search Sensor MR11-R500 (1)     GPS 5000     Range 11.2m km    Resolution 500
Active Search Sensor MR5-R100 (1)     GPS 1000     Range 5.0m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH1-5 (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  5m km

This design is classed as a Planetary Defence Centre and can be pre-fabricated in 3 sections

I've tried manually adding fuel to the ships, but it never works.   They're based on Earth, so there's no supply issues.   I changed the number of fuel tanks but that didn't fix it.   All the other PDCs have fuel tanks and no issues whatsoever.   Am I missing something?

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
Re: Constant Low Fuel Warning on PDC
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:09:16 AM »
Manually transferring fuel through the ship miscellaneous tab in the ship details screen has previously solved the problem when I built PDCs and accidently left the default fuel tank in there. When I first did this I got very confused with the transfer fuel to / from boxes because of the top box being pre-populated which meant I was not actually moving any fuel at all. From memory you need to change that pre-populated box to say 10000 and then you should be fine. You can tell if you have actually managed to transfer fuel as it will instantly show in the stats in the top right corner of that screen.

For new builds make sure they have no fuel tanks.

Offline Tssha (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:40:08 AM »
Look, I appreciate you're trying to help but. . . this is bothering me, I've gotta say it.   You come off as a little condescending.

Now, if you didn't intend that, I apologize.   I just had to say it, since it was bothering me.   It's bothering me a lot less now.

Lastly, I've fixed the problem, no more fuel messages.   Also, I'll put as many dang fuel tanks on my PDC as I like.   Doesn't matter that they don't do a damn thing, I don't care!  None of my other PDCs complain. . . and I mean that literally, only this design was giving me messages.   I've got three other designs that don't complain.   Ever.

. . . I may be making something out of nothing.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 04:05:14 AM »
. . I may be making something out of nothing.

In this case, I think you may be.  Tone is often difficult to ascertain on the intertubes, but the response was pretty clearly worded and helpful. 

Offline Tssha (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 04:59:12 AM »
Quote from: Thiosk link=topic=3617. msg35291#msg35291 date=1306487114
In this case, I think you may be.   Tone is often difficult to ascertain on the intertubes, but the response was pretty clearly worded and helpful.  
I think I'll wait for him to say that thank you.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 05:16:45 AM »
Gonna have to agree here, you asked for help and someone attempted to help you, not sure what other response could have been better there.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32:02 AM »
Sorry, but that is a bit of a harsh reaction, I was just trying my best to help you with a problem by trying to clearly take you through the two ways I have dealt with it. Everyone on these forums knows what a complicated game this is and how relatively simple items can be far from obvious. We also all know how rewarding this game can be once you break through that initial layer of working out how to do stuff.

This forum has been a life saver for me in getting great helpful answers to questions Ive had and I would hope I can do the same for others. Think in those terms and hopefully you won't leap to any further inappropriate conclusions.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:35:07 AM »
When I first did this I got very confused with the transfer fuel to / from boxes because of the top box being pre-populated which meant I was not actually moving any fuel at all.
There's actually a small, subtle bug there too, which I've never bothered to log.  The screen doesn't update after a transfer, it updates before a transfer.  So when you try to transfer 10,000 fuel from ship A to ship B (which only needs 6,666), you'll find that when you click the transfer button once it will look like nothing happened.  If you click it a second time, then you'll see the transfer (of 6,666) appear to take place.  In reality, the first click did the transfer and the second click did nothing, but the screen didn't refresh.

This can be confusing. :)

For new builds make sure they have no fuel tanks.

I think the fuel tanks might have been intentional.  The design said it was a fighter base - I suspect he wanted the fighters to refuel automatically from the base when they landed (or he was role-playing storage tanks at the base).

John