Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 187157 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #720 on: March 29, 2020, 01:06:51 PM »
It would be really cool to see a wider range of diplomatic options. Although the current system is way more fleshed out than VB6, all interactions still basically amount to adding or subtracting relations points. It'd be really cool to have the ability to have more involved interactions, peace treaties, and trading of systems, resources or information.

I'm playing the first few months of 1894 in my current campaign and it is very different now. I feel like I am jockeying for position with other races so I can make my claims stick when I make them, while watching for claims coming from other races. So far (7th March), no one has made a claim yet, although everyone is using Diplomatic ships to improve relations at least in the short term. The next phase of heavy code walk through will happen when I or one of the NPRs decides to push it.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #721 on: March 29, 2020, 01:47:47 PM »
Do NPR's understand proportionality?  I mean, do all conflicts, no matter how minor they start, result in total annihilation for the loser?  If I blow up a survey vessel for getting to close to me, will they try to glass my homeworld?

Most of the time, probably not :)

It's worth reading the various Diplomatic updates in the changes log. Here is Part #1 of 8.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg118258#msg118258

"If there is no contact at all, even via civilian ships, then Diplomacy Points will move toward zero, from either direction. The annual rate of change is the Xenophobia of the viewing race when the starting point is positive and 100 – Xenophobia when the starting point is negative. For example, the view of a race with 25 Xenophobia will only fall 25 points when the starting point is positive but will rise by 75 points when the starting point is negative. Low Xenophobia races are quicker to forgive transgressions and vice versa."

This means that a relatively minor incident will be forgiven within a reasonable time. If you wipe out a whole fleet, that would be a different situation but even then after a prolonged period without contact the situation will stabilise. Eventually, I may add some additional ways to reduce tensions - perhaps giving up systems for example.
I don't think avoiding contacts is enough to reduce tensions, in terms of balance.  If an NPR is winning a war, they will be on the offensive, actively seeking more contacts.  It seems like you may be able to end a war you are winning before annihilating your foe, but your foe will never show mercy if they're winning.  Maybe they need some sense of a war goal which, once achieved they'll stop/slow their assault.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #722 on: March 29, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »
I don't think avoiding contacts is enough to reduce tensions, in terms of balance.  If an NPR is winning a war, they will be on the offensive, actively seeking more contacts.  It seems like you may be able to end a war you are winning before annihilating your foe, but your foe will never show mercy if they're winning.  Maybe they need some sense of a war goal which, once achieved they'll stop/slow their assault.

Yes, I will add something on those lines eventually. Not for launch though or I will never get this done :)

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #723 on: March 30, 2020, 01:19:59 AM »
In terms of war the NPR should have some form of war exhaustion meter that it uses in conjunction with how successful it is. If it is conducting a war and keep throwing assess without making much headway it should be inclined to stop the war.

So having a primary goal seem appropriate form many reasons so the NPR can measure its success both in terms of what it want but also in terms of losses. Depending on how advanced the NPR it could even care about both material and people losses differently.

The NPR should be way less likely to accept many losses in a skirmishing war than if it decides it is fighting a total war... so some sort of war intensity should also be part if the picture as well.

When we look at history... intensity and the willingness to accept losses usually go hand in hand.

There also should be a point when losses don't worsen relation ship... once the NPR commit to hostilities it should accept losses as part of that commitment so we don't end up in death spiral relationships too often.

But these are all things that can be done as the new version of the game evolves. I understand that these things are complex and need to be tested and we need to find a god balance through experience to get the best and most interesting results.

The following users thanked this post: obsidian_green

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #724 on: March 30, 2020, 01:31:03 AM »
I have not followed all of the latest Diplomacy updates but how about cooperative deals with the NPR... can you make deals to build colonies on the same worlds and system when and if you have good relations with each other. I mean, we could even build colonies on the same worlds if relations is good enough?!?

Even at neutral or slowly building up good relations we might be able to build colonies in the same system but perhaps not on the same planets?

There could actually be some trust built up between species that build in the same system as if economies intertwine with positive trade and species start living side by side they will trust each other more and more over time.

It obviously should also depend on xenophobia of both races involved if this is possible or not, but given low enough xenophobia this should be possible.

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #725 on: March 30, 2020, 02:12:34 AM »
Steve, is there a species-level modifier for wealth produced per million workers or mining rate at gamestart? There's a modifier for factory production, but that only affects factories, refineries and shipbuilding. For high production modifiers (200%+), we'll run out of wealth and mineral resources really really quickly.

Offline Protomolecule

• Leading Rate
  • P
« Reply #726 on: March 31, 2020, 06:42:37 AM »
Long-time lurker here.  About Particle lances, I saw that you unlock them when you reach Strenght-6 in particle beams, but can we build smaller particle lances? Or is the 12 damage the smaller one?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #727 on: March 31, 2020, 07:01:22 AM »
Long-time lurker here.  About Particle lances, I saw that you unlock them when you reach Strenght-6 in particle beams, but can we build smaller particle lances? Or is the 12 damage the smaller one?

You can build smaller ones.

The following users thanked this post: Protomolecule

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #728 on: March 31, 2020, 07:02:15 AM »
Steve, is there a species-level modifier for wealth produced per million workers or mining rate at gamestart? There's a modifier for factory production, but that only affects factories, refineries and shipbuilding. For high production modifiers (200%+), we'll run out of wealth and mineral resources really really quickly.

There isn't a wealth modifier at the moment.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #729 on: March 31, 2020, 07:48:25 AM »
Was just reading back through the changes list and noted the open point on coding combat air patrols for fighters. Did that make it in and just not get refreshed? Also can ground attack equipped fighters target STOs specifically as with AA units or does that just come through the general ground attack order?

The following users thanked this post: Kristover

Offline totos_totidis

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #730 on: March 31, 2020, 08:27:43 AM »
In vb6 invader and precursor ships did not have crew and were easy to steal and reverse engineer. Is that also the case for c#?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #731 on: March 31, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »
Was just reading back through the changes list and noted the open point on coding combat air patrols for fighters. Did that make it in and just not get refreshed? Also can ground attack equipped fighters target STOs specifically as with AA units or does that just come through the general ground attack order?

No, not in yet.

Fighters can only attack STO directly in normal naval combat.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #732 on: March 31, 2020, 08:49:46 AM »
In vb6 invader and precursor ships did not have crew and were easy to steal and reverse engineer. Is that also the case for c#?

No invaders yet. Precursor ships have 'crew' in the same way as normal ships.

The following users thanked this post: totos_totidis

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #733 on: April 02, 2020, 12:37:28 PM »
I assume the basic premise from when starting on Earth is still true, that is less resources in Sol system than in average system of similar dimensions to push you out exploring and expanding? If so, could we maybe get a toggle that would disable this and apply the usual calculation for resources when starting a new game (assuming it would not be too much work and there would be demand for it). 

I always wanted to play Earth start but having to set up my mining elsewhere in quite short amount of time always made me play custom systems instead.   Especially knowing my enemy wouldn't have this disadvantage.   

Edit:
Long time lurker, finally decided to register, seems like I might have some input now.   8)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #734 on: April 02, 2020, 12:39:54 PM »
I assume the basic premise from when starting on Earth is still true, that is less resources in Sol system than in average system of similar dimensions to push you out exploring and expanding? If so, could we maybe get a toggle that would disable this and apply the usual calculation for resources when starting a new game (assuming it would not be too much work and there would be demand for it).

I always wanted to play Earth start but having to set up my mining elsewhere in quite short amount of time always made me play custom systems instead.  Especially knowing my enemy wouldn't have this disadvantage.

Sol uses normal mineral generation (same as any other system) and Earth uses the normal Home World mineral generation. That is true for both VB6 and C#.