Author Topic: UpdateAllSensors - anybody find a workaround?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
UpdateAllSensors - anybody find a workaround?
« on: August 02, 2009, 03:51:10 PM »
This is already reported in the 4.0 bug thread so I didn't want to add to that threads post count with redundant chat. But I was wondering if anybody had managed to figure out a workaround?

I am invading an NPR system with 17 ships, 14 of which have active search sensors and then either a missile fire control or a beam fire control.

The NPRs had about 30 ships on the Jump Point and on every 5seconds increment I would get the UpdateAllSensors - subscript out of range error, so I would just hold down the enter key to clear all the messages away. I didn't count them, but there was a lot! I saw the note in the 4.0 bug thread that Steve had set the array to 500 and that he suggested you switch off some sensors so I tried that but it made no noticeable difference :(

It took a few hours of real time to finish the fight on the gate because of having to clear the warning messages after each increment, but I persisted and finally wiped them away. I probably would not have won the fight though because they were throwing massive salvos of size 1 missiles at me but they had a strength of 0 so were not doing any damage. Maybe their missiles had active sensors?

Even after winning the battle on the gate I was still getting the warnings and then I ran into another of the NPR's fleets on the way to their planet, this one is bigger than the last!

I am dreading the fight ahead due to the warnings and having to hold down enter at the end of every turn to clear them up.

Am I stuck with the errors? Or do you think there is a way I can work around them? Maybe I can go into the DB and remove the active sensor from the missile design if it has one and at the same time give it a strength of 1?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: UpdateAllSensors - anybody find a workaround?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
This is already reported in the 4.0 bug thread so I didn't want to add to that threads post count with redundant chat. But I was wondering if anybody had managed to figure out a workaround?

I am invading an NPR system with 17 ships, 14 of which have active search sensors and then either a missile fire control or a beam fire control.

The NPRs had about 30 ships on the Jump Point and on every 5seconds increment I would get the UpdateAllSensors - subscript out of range error, so I would just hold down the enter key to clear all the messages away. I didn't count them, but there was a lot! I saw the note in the 4.0 bug thread that Steve had set the array to 500 and that he suggested you switch off some sensors so I tried that but it made no noticeable difference :)

I hope within a few days, v4.1 will be out and that will resolve the issue.

Steve

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »
The AlienClassSensor table has 61972 entires but they do not have anything entered in the GameID column, could that be an issue?

I went into the DB and found this NPR's AMM and changed all its stats to the 1st generation AMM that I had created so it would have a strength of 1. While I was editing the row I noticed that it had 40k of these missiles in stock .... ooooohhhh sheeeet!!

I might go into the DB again and remove some older records from other tables.

I am also currently running away from the NPR fleet that I detected enroute to their homeworld, it is a bigger fleet with newer model ships and I just noticed a massive salvo of 200 ASM heading my way. I have used up over half my own AMM already and have no ASM missiles left. But, I do have all 6 destroyers with there triple turrets so I may yet survive if I can get to the Jump Point.

The NPRs are only 2 systems away from my homeworld but they haven't attacked yet. If they had then I m pretty sure that I would have been clobbered even though they appear to have a lower tech level they have way more numbers. What kind of likelyhood to you give NPRs for expanding and attacking neighbouring empires? They definitely know about the system between us but they might not have a jump capable grav survey ship yet.

I take it that v4.1 has a DB that is incompatible with v4.0 so we will need to start new games?

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:05:08 PM »
I cleared out the AlienClassSensor table but still got the errors. The table started populating itself ok afterwards.

I also removed any reference to old games/races that were not cleaned out of the DB on delete of the old games.

A Precursor back tracked a civilian geo survey ship to Sol, which gave me a fit, but I think it was out of ammo because it was very easy to destroy - returning none of my fire. There were no errors during this engagement.

I guess there is no real point in spending time on this since you have completely redone the way this works, but I wanted a record here on the off chance that somebody has same issue and does a forum search.

As an aside, I have completed the design of my first BC which is going to be the Big Mean Older Brother to the current generation of DD. It has 5 triple turrets instead of the DDs 1 and has twice the armor with 5 times the shields. I'm hoping to get it into production and jump it into the NPR system before I switch over to 4.1 when released. It will most likely die a glorious death, but it should survive long enough to allow the rest of the fleet time to engage active sensors and fire control.