Author Topic: Official v5.10 Bugs Thread  (Read 25753 times)

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Official v5.10 Bugs Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2010, 06:10:13 AM »
1.  Yes noted before - it appears to be a side effect on the way that VB6 updates colour schemes.  Chance of Microsoft doing something about it?  Nil.
If steve ever moved his development work to another application it may resolve the issue, but I'm not holding my breath on this. I thought this was in the FAQ.

2. Not seen this before.

3. Artifact of the construction cycle - if you dont trigger a contruction cycle then no work is added to any of the items you mentioned, so of course the work still to do will remain the same, however the calendar will have advanced one day, so of course the "completion date" will also advance by one day.  If it really bothers you set the construction cycle time to a smaller number its usualy set to 400000 which works out as 4.63 days (ish).  You could try 100000 (1.16 days) or 86400 (1day), but be aware that this may cause performance issues. You can find this field on the Game details screen (1st screen you see when starting up, or Ctrl-I)

4. you have resolved yourself

5. Not seen this problem (but I'm still on 5.02)
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Soralin

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2010, 09:31:56 AM »
1. I figured it was something like that.  Although, if it's possible to read or save the current color scheme rather than just overwrite it(which I'm not sure that it is), it could read the current color scheme, and then apply that again as the program is exiting, so that it doesn't last beyond the program's end at least.

3. True, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to fix, it would just need to know the current date, and the date of the last construction cycle (or the next construction cycle and the construction cycle length).  Those will give you the time that's passed since the last construction cycle, which could simply be subtracted from the estimated date, and it should produce the correct result.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2010, 05:54:21 PM »
Quote from: "Soralin"
Just started playing, haven't seen these bugs listed yet in the newer threads, although they might be older ones, but these are all in v5.14:

1.Aurora seems to semi-permanently change the style of menus, everywhere, in all windows programs.  If the last screen I had selected was the small bar that comes up with a game, then the right click menu will be gray everywhere.  If the system or galaxy map is the last one that I had selected, it'll be the yellow text on a black background.  This isn't just for the game, but instead seems to apply to everything in windows.  Right click menus on the desktop, dropdown menus on folders or firefox, etc.  And this change seems to persist after the game exits, and remains until the system is restarted, or until I go to the themes menu for windows, and apply a change over the top of it. (Running under windows XP at least).

Reproducing this is easy enough, just start a game, quit it, and notice that your menu backgrounds are different now.
)
I think this is a weird setting on your pc problem. I get the same effect while Aurore is running but once I close it the problem goes away. Could be Firefox as I am not running that. I also do not get your error 5, this suggests to me that there may be a problem with the vb installation on your PC. I seem to remember that MS is not alway good about updating vb6 but its a long time since I had my training on this.
Do you have MS Access installed or are you just running the provided program? as I think that updates of VB come from Access (could easilybe wrong its just thats where I encounter VB when using MS Stuff)

Offline Soralin

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »
Quote from: "Andrew"
I think this is a weird setting on your pc problem. I get the same effect while Aurore is running but once I close it the problem goes away. Could be Firefox as I am not running that. I also do not get your error 5, this suggests to me that there may be a problem with the vb installation on your PC. I seem to remember that MS is not alway good about updating vb6 but its a long time since I had my training on this.
Do you have MS Access installed or are you just running the provided program? as I think that updates of VB come from Access (could easilybe wrong its just thats where I encounter VB when using MS Stuff)
Nope, no MS Access installed on this computer, just whatever the installer installed, minus the stuff that I didn't let it overwrite with older versions.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2010, 04:41:54 AM »
Quote from: "Andrew"
Just started playing, haven't seen these bugs listed yet in the newer threads, although they might be older ones, but these are all in v5.14:

1.Aurora seems to semi-permanently change the style of menus, everywhere, in all windows programs.  If the last screen I had selected was the small bar that comes up with a game, then the right click menu will be gray everywhere.  If the system or galaxy map is the last one that I had selected, it'll be the yellow text on a black background.  This isn't just for the game, but instead seems to apply to everything in windows.  Right click menus on the desktop, dropdown menus on folders or firefox, etc.  And this change seems to persist after the game exits, and remains until the system is restarted, or until I go to the themes menu for windows, and apply a change over the top of it. (Running under windows XP at least).

Reproducing this is easy enough, just start a game, quit it, and notice that your menu backgrounds are different now.
)

I only experienced this in WinXP. Under Win7, it doesn't show.

Offline DatAlien

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »
Im not sure that Im rigth here, but I couldnt find a "v5.14 Bugs Thread".

Every time I double click on a colonie in "Population and Production" or click System View I get alot Errors like

Error in cboControlRace

Erro 76 was generatet by Aurora
Path not found: 'Planetjpeg\ha.jpg'

Other missing Files are b13.jpg

Finaly I get

Runtime Error '76':

and Aurora closed.

I also get a lot of 76 and 53 Errors if I open Galactic Map, it want Ships/EnterpriseA.gif and Flags\

and if I open View Race Detail  get:

Cannot find the hull design for the Solar Union and Colonial Territories. The last known name for this file was EnterpriseA.gif. Please try reselecting it.
Cannot find the race picture for the Solar Union and Colonial Territories. The last known name for this file was race1068.bmp. Please try reselecting it.

If I click "Select Hull" I get

Run-time error '76':
Path not found

and Aurora closed
Per se ad astra

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2010, 01:16:58 PM »
Quote from: "DatAlien"
Im not sure that Im rigth here, but I couldnt find a "v5.14 Bugs Thread".

Every time I double click on a colonie in "Population and Production" or click System View I get alot Errors like

Error in cboControlRace

Erro 76 was generatet by Aurora

Other missing Files are b13.jpg

This looks like you have not correctly installed.  Please re-read the instructions for installation - there's a big initial install zip file that has directories for flags and planets etc.

Also, please read the FAQs, in particular the "Where should I post?" one - we ask that people post new user questions like this in The Academy to avoid user-error noise in the bugs thread.

Thanks,
John

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »
Gauss Cannon Rate of Fire 8 gives Gauss Cannons a rate of fire of 10 shots every 5 seconds.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2010, 08:43:37 PM »
v5.14

couple of these:

Error in SetClassObsolete
Error 3021 was generated by DAO.Recordset
No current record.

followed by couple of these:

Error in CreateDesign
Error 3201 was generated by DAO.Recordset
You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'TechSystem'.

Presuming an NPR.

Also, I get an error when I explore a new system and a Wormhole is generated along with the new system. I think it was in function 'CreateSystem' but can't remember and can't find it in logs.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »
I think that this is a 'bug/feature' that shouldn't be fixed ...

I performed a Geological Survey using a Team on Earth a couple of years into my game when the team was at about 170 points - I had them do about 6 surveys on other smaller bodies to up their points before hand.

Recently, I started to create more Martians on Earth to increase their total percentage in the Empire and stop having them get antsy about being a minority. This creates a new 'Colony' on Earth, and at the same time it resets the 'Geological Team Survey - Completed' flag! So, I took that as an opportunity to resurvey Earth using the old team that is now over 200 points. It is finding some nice stuff :)

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2010, 07:35:04 PM »
You don't have to research Minimum Cloak Size 25 to be able to make a cloaking device.

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2010, 02:02:13 AM »
Hitting ctrl-F3 on the economics window opens the systems map and the event log instead of just the event log.

Offline Soralin

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2010, 04:20:27 PM »
It seems that many of the windows don't properly change when activated from another screen, if they're already open.  For example:

On the Galaxy map and system view screens, if I click to open the system map when the system map is closed, it will correctly open it in that system, however if the system map is already open, it won't switch it to viewing the selected system.

Also, if I open up the system view screen by pressing the button on the system view, it correctly opens it up to that system, but if I use the hotkey F9 to open it, it brings up the Sol system instead.  In addition, clicking the buttons for system view or geological survey while those windows are open, won't update them for the current system.

It's not a major bug, but it'd be convenient not to have to track down a system through a drop-down menu, or close and then re-open a screen to get it to go to the right system.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »
It seems that many of the windows don't properly change when activated from another screen, if they're already open.  For example:

On the Galaxy map and system view screens, if I click to open the system map when the system map is closed, it will correctly open it in that system, however if the system map is already open, it won't switch it to viewing the selected system.

Also, if I open up the system view screen by pressing the button on the system view, it correctly opens it up to that system, but if I use the hotkey F9 to open it, it brings up the Sol system instead.  In addition, clicking the buttons for system view or geological survey while those windows are open, won't update them for the current system.

It's not a major bug, but it'd be convenient not to have to track down a system through a drop-down menu, or close and then re-open a screen to get it to go to the right system.
IIRC  the Refresh All button at the bottom of the F2 screen should do what it says on the tin and refresh the active windows.  The F7 window is an exception to this.
Welchbloke

Offline Soralin

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2010, 07:31:55 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
IIRC  the Refresh All button at the bottom of the F2 screen should do what it says on the tin and refresh the active windows.  The F7 window is an exception to this.
It refreshes them, but that doesn't result in the system map changing to the system that was selected on the galactic map when the system map button was pressed.  It seems that only currently happens if the system map was closed when the system map button was pressed on the galactic map.  Nor does it redirect any of the other windows, it just refreshes them on what they're currently pointing to already.