Author Topic: Dumb things you've done  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Peter Rhodan (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Dumb things you've done
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:55:39 PM »
Given the learning curve there is always dumb things at the early stage - but after you've been playing a while sometimes you just have a brain fade...

I build 5 big fast sorium harvester/tankes to fix any fuel problems and stopped building refineries on my colonies  when they started to come of the slipways. Worked great until I sent 2 of the 5 tankers to the system I discovered a rich gas giant in - Gilese 884- had [JG] after name and so I jumped them in and started filling up - the first got to 90% full and then I discovered that there was no JG on their side... derrrr forgot to build that side and my nearest Gate builder was 6 months away (my JG builders are old and slow) and like 1 year and 3 weeks later 2/5ths of my refuelling capacity is still busy building a fuel dump on Gilese 884 AII...........

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
Re: Dumb things you've done
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:58:44 PM »
I tend to create designs and leave them half finished usually when i'm researching components i intend to put on them. After a day or two of doing this (real life time) I often forget the design is half done and order yards to retool for them.  :-\

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
I have put active sensors on freighters and colony ships.

Making them classified military vessels.

Everything is fine and dandy like sour candy... until they all explode from maintenance failures.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:13:18 AM »
I have put active sensors on freighters and colony ships.

Making them classified military vessels.

Everything is fine and dandy like sour candy... until they all explode from maintenance failures.
As long as the sensors are not individually larger than 1 hull space (50 tons) they still count as commercial.

Brian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:18:53 PM »
I built an entire squadron of missile boats 9kT - 8,000 speed with Magneto drive (level 4) which is pretty quick for that tech I feel - 6 size 1 launchers with reload 3 tech I think - the best I had anyway - plenty of missles - AMM fire command out to about 1mk (size limitiation thingy there didnt have a better one) and then forgot a long range scanner on all 12 of them.......

realised my error when the 20 something size 8 missiles started arriving......

I can be real good at creating space junk....

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »
I have another one - built my first Orbital Habitat at Earth and assigned one of my Tractor equipped transports to tow it to Venus - speed 20k - ETA 121 days - hmm OK ..

never looked at the Sol System map - jut the TG page - so some time later I checked - ETA 71 days - beauty - then ETA 34 Days - alright..  ETA 9 days - yes.... ETA 32 days  WTF

At 20ks Venus moves faster - what had happened was my transport had cut across the orbits toward Venus but hadn't quite connected and then Venus had sailed away with my Transport vainly tugging the Orbital behind it.......
Am trying a new tactic of waypoint on the orbital path and waiting for Venus to arrive.... only have 1st gen engines which isn't helping

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:53:25 PM »
here she comes, here she is, there she goes.

That venus is a fickle harlot

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 06:37:30 AM »
Lost an entire battlegroup (18 Ships including 10 with 12 or 20cm laser batterries) to 1 precursor ship in close combat. I launched missile salvo's from my missile ships but mistakenly targeted two salvo's on the same ship. I then to avoid interrupts forced 100 increments allowing the precusor ship to fly up to my fleet and shoot me to pieces before I could retarget my weapons . OOps