Author Topic: Mass Drivers?  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Cavgunner (OP)

• Lt. Commander
Mass Drivers?
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
Hi there. . .  first time poster here.   I started playing Aurora about a week ago and nearly quit, I was so frustrated.   But I stuck with it and now I'm starting to understand SOME of the basics, and even have my first tiny colonies outside the Sol system.   :)  Anyway, my question is this: I understand that the Mass Driver rating reflects the tonnage that a driver can SEND. . .  but how many mass drivers do you need to receive "X" quantity of material?  Thanks!

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
Re: Mass Drivers?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »
one is enough

Offline Cavgunner (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 07:40:18 AM »
Each MD can recieve 5000 tons a year.  The F2 colony summary will show you the total tonnage each colony can recieve per year before the inbound packets start doing damage. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 08:34:23 AM »
Each MD can recieve 5000 tons a year.  The F2 colony summary will show you the total tonnage each colony can recieve per year before the inbound packets start doing damage. 

I'm 99% sure that this is not the case - the tonnage rating is for sending packets, not receiving.  You only need 1 driver on the receiving end to catch any amount of incoming.  In my most recent game I've had times when I had 1 driver on earth, and 10s of them on mining operations throwing packets.

John

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »
I'm 99% sure that this is not the case - the tonnage rating is for sending packets, not receiving.  You only need 1 driver on the receiving end to catch any amount of incoming.  In my most recent game I've had times when I had 1 driver on earth, and 10s of them on mining operations throwing packets.

John

Your right.  I keep forgetting that Steve set it up that way. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
Because of the problems that can occur when you pull the last mass driver off of a planet, I usually put 2 mass drivers on every major populated world.  If I mess up and pull one by accident I still have one available. 

Brian

Offline Grunden

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:42:29 AM »
In one of the more recent builds Steve added a warning dialog when you attempt to pull the last mass driver off a colony that is receiving packets.  Can't really do it accidentally anymore.

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:47:11 AM »
I was searching some other info and I noticed that the wiki is not up to date with this.
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Mass_Driver

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »
One mass driver can catch an unlimited amount of minerals

Steve