Author Topic: Jump Gates and Jump Points  (Read 1839 times)

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
Jump Gates and Jump Points
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:15:48 PM »
There have been several different suggestions as to changes to the jump gate mechanic.  Most of these involve a means of closing a jump gate, so as to avoid giving a means of invasion.  The most recent is here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3269.0.html.
I'm trying to find out what various people think about this topic.  There have been different suggestions about how to close a jump gate, ranging from weapons to construction ships.  The construction ships seems the most common, and it's the view I hold, with disassembly probably taking about 1/2 to 1/3 the time of assembly.
Also, some people have suggested closing jump points.  I'm not sure that's a good idea.  However, there is an idea I'd like to propose: interdiction.   A JP interdictor is a device that, when emplaced at a jump point (a fairly long process), affects any squadron transits, either inbound or duplex.  It could either delay emergence while giving the defender notice of the arrival, reduce squadron size, or (my favored solution) reduce the jump distance.  These would make the defender's job easier, but (particularly if it required specialized ships and a lot of time) it wouldn't be a huge tactical advantage.  Plus, if it's duplex, you'll also hinder your own attacks.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
Re: Jump Gates and Jump Points
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »
I've always thought of a advanced civilisation capable of creating jumpgates would likely have their own computer network, software setup and electronic security protecting the use of said jumpgates. I'd be a big fan of expanding the value and uses of espionage and electronic warfare to gain access to alien jumpgate networks.