Author Topic: assigning civilian administrators and building ships  (Read 3575 times)

Offline glawen (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • g
assigning civilian administrators and building ships
« on: September 25, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
Hi,

I'm very new at this game, started playing today, and i have 2 problems (until now)

1.  I don't know how to assign a specific civilian administrator to a colony, i tried selecting an officer and the colony (in my case there's only earth) then clicking on the 'Assign' button on the bottom right corner, but nothing moved and 'Governor of Earth' is still Unassigned

2.  I don't know how to build ships.  I think i understand how this should work, i've created a new ship class with the appropriate tool, but in the 'Manage Shipyards' tab, in the 'Create Task' section, the New Class dropdown list is empty, and when i press the 'Add Task' button, nothing happens (which seems logical since i have not specified a ship class)

Do i miss something obvious ?

Joined the relevant screenshots

TIA

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: assigning civilian administrators and building ships
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:55:18 PM »
Hi,

I'm very new at this game, started playing today, and i have 2 problems (until now)

1.  I don't know how to assign a specific civilian administrator to a colony, i tried selecting an officer and the colony (in my case there's only earth) then clicking on the 'Assign' button on the bottom right corner, but nothing moved and 'Governor of Earth' is still Unassigned

2.  I don't know how to build ships.  I think i understand how this should work, i've created a new ship class with the appropriate tool, but in the 'Manage Shipyards' tab, in the 'Create Task' section, the New Class dropdown list is empty, and when i press the 'Add Task' button, nothing happens (which seems logical since i have not specified a ship class)

Do i miss something obvious ?

Joined the relevant screenshots

TIA

On the officer screen, where it says "warships" change that to civilian administrators.

Did you retool your yards to build the selected ship? You need to do that prior to being able to build ships in the yard.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
- In the officer window screenshot, you actually have "unassigned" selected, not Earth.

- Yes, you need to set the shipyard task to "Retool". The "New Class" dropdown is only used when a shipyard can build different (but rather similar) classes without retooling. Note that a new shipyard gets one retooling "for free", i.e. it doesn't take any time.

Offline glawen (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
Thanks both of you for the quick responses :)

Erik Luken, you solved my second problem, i was missing something obvious, i should have though about that.
Zook, you solved my first problem, which was even more obvious, but which i know i would never have thought about, because i was totally sure the administrator name would have replaced the 'Unassigned' whe he'd be assigned.  I seem to suffer of severe UI comprehension failure ;)

So, again, thanks a lot