Author Topic: What's the deal with these aliens?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
What's the deal with these aliens?
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:13:57 PM »
Early on I encountered a ship in Sirius which blew my scout to pieces.  The game labeled them as "Sirius Aliens" and I assigned a diplomacy team to them.  The team decided that communication was impossible and I fought a handful of skirmishes in Sirius over the next few years.  I finally got the upper hand and wiped out the enemy ships. So for the first time I got to look carefully around the Sirius system and found...nothing. No population, no suggestion that there was a civilization there. These are the first (and only) aliens I've encountered so I'm not sure what's going on.  Is there something special I have to do to detect a population? Is their homeworld elsewhere and they just happened to leave a fleet in Sirius for six years?  Were they Precursors (does the game tell you when you meet those)?  Any thoughts?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: What's the deal with these aliens?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Early on I encountered a ship in Sirius which blew my scout to pieces.  The game labeled them as "Sirius Aliens" and I assigned a diplomacy team to them.  The team decided that communication was impossible and I fought a handful of skirmishes in Sirius over the next few years.  I finally got the upper hand and wiped out the enemy ships. So for the first time I got to look carefully around the Sirius system and found...nothing. No population, no suggestion that there was a civilization there. These are the first (and only) aliens I've encountered so I'm not sure what's going on.  Is there something special I have to do to detect a population? Is their homeworld elsewhere and they just happened to leave a fleet in Sirius for six years?  Were they Precursors (does the game tell you when you meet those)?  Any thoughts?

Most likely Precursors.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »
Where there escape pods? If not you probably ran across one of the spoiler races Precursors, The Swarm, and Invaders all do not leave life pods, and Swarm doesn't even leave wrecks.

If there were escape pods, then you likely just had a fight with a normal NPR, they sometimes do leave fleets in place for years at a time, especially if skirmishing is happening regularly, and yes if you meet them outside their home system the game assigned name will not reflect their true home system even if you later discover it.

If I had to guess I would say you have a spoiler race though, especially if they significantly out-teched you.

To answer your other question there is nothing special you need to detect populations, they generate EM and Thermal signatures that are easy enough to pick up if you survey the system at all. Assuming you have EM and/or Thermal sensors.

It is possible to miss small bases though, a single DSTS and missile stockpile that is commonly left by one of the spoiler races only has a Thermal Signature of like 5, I often miss those until the geo survey ships come in.

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:53:49 PM »
Thanks folks.  No escape pods, and I was definitely out-teched, so sounds like Precursors (does that need to be under spoilers?). That actually makes me feel much better about how hard I had to work to take them out  :)

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 11:49:01 PM »
Another telltale sign is that their ships don't stream atmosphere when their hulls are pierced

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
Surprise! I found a "Population TH 15" on an asteroid in Sirius.  Could it still be Precursors? How can I find out what is actually on that colony (eg, are there colonists, installations, etc.)?

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:07:30 AM »
Surprise! I found a "Population TH 15" on an asteroid in Sirius.  Could it still be Precursors? How can I find out what is actually on that colony (eg, are there colonists, installations, etc.)?

Thermal signatures are usually indicating the presence of industrial machinery e.g. mines, industrial facilities or missile storages, etc.
EM signatures indicate the presence of life.  :)
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Victuz

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:30:41 AM »

I'd guess maybe industrial ruins? Or maybe some other race did come around there.
Spoilers from what I noticed seem to have a much higher thermal signature from any other race that you may encounter and because of that they tend to completely miss your ships.
When I got blown up by them it was only because my early tech geo-grav-survey ship wasn't equipped with any sensors and literally got next to them to scan a planet. Than they blew it to bits.

As for the matter of should you cover it up or not... I don't know, I'm new here as well and from what I've seen it's kinda like Dwarf Fortress, cotton candy and clowns in a circus. Most people know what's up but it's considered common courtesy to not name things for what they are.

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »
So how do I see what is actually there?  I've already done a geological survey.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 09:52:53 AM »
Drop some troops and take their base away from them, then inspect what you got  :)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »
Drop some troops and take their base away from them, then inspect what you got  :)

Really? There's no way to tell what's on the surface without an invasion?

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
Pretty much no.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
My hunch is it's a passive listening post. Probably has a minimal (but non-zero) number of defenders. You should be able to take it fairly easily, and grab yourself a new listening post in Sirius. But be careful- I've had Precursors return and completely destroy a colony of theres that I've conquered on one or two occasions.
Living up to my username. . .

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
No way to know what is there without dropping troops, the Thermal signature is quite low so I wouldn't expect much probably a tracking station with a missile stockpile, even odds that it is defended at all.

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 08:39:16 AM »
Turned out to be 3 DSTS.  Thanks for your help, folks.