Author Topic: Save Game File Question  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Griswel (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
Save Game File Question
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
I can play on my laptop - thanks altmove. exe - but it's awkward in some respects (three moves to see the latest news instead of one, I'm lazy).   So I'd like to transfer my game to the desktop when it's available.   It looks from the thread in the FAQ section like the save is simply an update to stevefire. mdb.   Great, but that file hasn't been updated since 2012.   Is that update information just wrong, or have things changed since the FAQ thread in 2011?

Thanks

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Save Game File Question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:18:14 PM »
Just about everything is in the stevefire.mdb file.   Either the modification date is wrong or you're looking in the wrong aurora folder

Offline Griswel (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »
FYI I just clicked the Aurora. exe directly from the folder I was looking at and the save game is there, but the stevefile. mdb is dated 2012 still.   Not important, but anyone seeing this apparently (at least for me) the modification date does not change.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:59:33 AM »
FYI I just clicked the Aurora. exe directly from the folder I was looking at and the save game is there, but the stevefile. mdb is dated 2012 still.   Not important, but anyone seeing this apparently (at least for me) the modification date does not change.

Just to be sure that's the one you're using, you should try renaming it, then click on the same Aurora and see if you get an error.  IIRC, you can set a path to a stevefire.mdb that is not necessarily in the same directory.

John

Offline andrewas

• Leading Rate
  • a
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 08:12:35 AM »
If you're using Windows Vista or newer, and have Aurora installed in Program Files, then look in c:\users\[user]\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files (x86)\aurora

Offline Griswel (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »
Quote from: andrewas link=topic=6869.   msg70517#msg70517 date=1394543555
If you're using Windows Vista or newer, and have Aurora installed in Program Files, then look in c:\users\[user]\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files (x86)\aurora

Thanks for the information.     I'll check, which unfortunately I cannot do right now (I'm hoping to play off a flash drive and make my saves portable).     An install to program files just makes the second last directory \programfiles instead of programfiles(x86), right?  Or would a change keep the save in the main directory?  I've had issues with "you don't have the rights to do that" (me: "you don't have the rights to tell me I don't have the rights to do that!") in program files(x86) so I stopped using it.  

If I want to play from a flash drive I need to copy the install to a directory on the drive, then copy just stevefire.   mdb from the appropriate version of c:\users\[user]\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files (x86)\aurora?  or would there be other steps/files I'd need to copy each time?

Quote from: sloanjh link=topic=6869. msg70516#msg70516 date=1394539173
Just to be sure that's the one you're using, you should try renaming it, then click on the same Aurora and see if you get an error.   IIRC, you can set a path to a stevefire. mdb that is not necessarily in the same directory.

John
I'll try that too, I saw my save, but obviously the program had access to the other directories.  

Update - There is no /appdata directory in my users directories, and when I clicked on the .exe on my flashdrive, the laptop saves were there.  So it appears my saves are in the unchanging-mod-date-stevefire in the game directory.  It's a little slow off the flashdrive, so I may have to copy the directory and save onto the desktop and re-copy the save back onto the flashdrive to get what I want, but this will work fine I think.

Update 2 - on the other hand, I renamed the file and got no error.  So I searched for stevefire and found it in ... users/user/eppdata etc  When I clicked on open folder, it said the shortcut pointed to something which was gone.  The mod date was correct, though, last night.  Is appdata a hidden folder?  I have to head out and can't keep looking (ooh, the suspense), and I hope you don't mind the details as some other people might not know how to keep backups of data and transfer saves.  If there's a spot for that let me know and I'll let this thread die.  I didn't see one.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:53:47 PM by Griswel »