Author Topic: Can't Load Ground Troops  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Shipright (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
Can't Load Ground Troops
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »
So I on a conventional start and created the following basic troop transport to move the start units from Earth to my first colonies now big enough to start clamoring for protection.

Everest class Troop Transport    13 750 tons     84 Crew     384.65 BP      TCS 275  TH 125  EM 0
454 km/s     Armour 2-51     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 17    Max Repair 40 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Spare Berths 1    
Troop Capacity: 4 Battalions    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5    

ESL 62.5 EP Trekker COM Nuclear Thermal Engine (2)    Power 62.5    Fuel Use 13.26%    Signature 62.5    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 250 000 Litres    Range 24.7 billion km   (628 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

So it says it has a capacity of 4 battalions but when order it to load just one ground unit I get the following in the log:

Can not pick up ground unit as the fleet has insufficient space

Am I missing something? The tutorial says that each troop transport can carry one battalion and each of the starting ground units (either Low Tech Armor or Low Tech Infantry) is size 50 so whats up?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Can't Load Ground Troops
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »
Am I missing something? The tutorial says that each troop transport can carry one battalion and each of the starting ground units (either Low Tech Armor or Low Tech Infantry) is size 50 so whats up?

Yes, you are :)  The "one battalion" is really "one (high tech) battalion".  Low tech units are a LOT bigger.  This also shows up in the barracks space they occupy in PDC.

John

PS - Moved to "The Academy" - FAQ is for questions to which the answer is known.  Please read the "Where should I post" thread in FAQ for more details.  Have Fun!!

Offline Shipright (OP)

• S
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »
Well then how do you know? The ship design window displays troop capacity in battalions and the troop training window in size (for Low Tech units it's 50). What is the size capacity equivalent of the troop transport components "one battalion" capacity?

That ship has a 4 battalion capacity, your telling me high tech ground units are 1/4 the size of starting ones?!?

Edit: I found the chart at the bottom of the tutorial that gives all unit sizes to confirm what you said. The issue is that at the beginning of the tutorial under "troop transport modules" it explicitly states all ground units are the same size except engineering brigades and use one troop transport module each. You may want to change that to reflect reality.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:58:18 PM by Shipright »

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »
I believe most of the tutorials are written from the POV of a Trans-Newtonian (i.e., not conventional) start.  Since TN starts do not have Low-Tech units (and please note that low-tech units are described as divisions, compared to TN battalions), probably the tutorial writer was not considering them in its statement.  I agree the tutorial should probably be revised.

Offline doomsought

• Leading Rate
  • d
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
You can see the size of a unit in the Ground Units pane, and you can see the capacity in ship design. Standard holds 5 unit size, small holds 1 unit size.

Offline Shipright (OP)

• S
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Like I said the design screen shows capacity in battalions NOT size, and as I was working off the tutorial I had no idea there was a size difference as it states all ground units are the same size.

I get it though, there is an intended break between pre game historic militaries and the high tech future.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »
Doubt your where working from a tutorial,  wiki page is more likely from your description.

It is a little counter intuitive, but the units that require more space than a single battalion have id's of brigade or division.  Both formation sizes are larger than battalions.  So the name should have been a clue that more space would be required.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Shipright (OP)

• S
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »
It was the wiki yes, and I noted the name difference but who am I to doubt the wiki when it states they are all the same size?

Not a problem, I'll just build modern battalion size units :)