Author Topic: Surveying question  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Saibot (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
Surveying question
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:02:46 AM »
If the ship survey turns up no minerals, that means there's no minerals, or could a ground survey possibly find some?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Surveying question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:23:18 AM »
A ground survey can always find either more minerals or different minerals or a different (higher) abundence of the minerals.

It is never a bad idea to do a ground survey.  I don't notice that the ground survey team often finds minerals that a space survey missed (so usually they find nothing) but from time to time they strike it big.  The only thing is that the time required to do the ground survey is extremely variable so you often need patience.  Or perhaps much better survey people then I have.  But I've got a serious officer shortage at the moment. 

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:29:54 AM »
The only thing is that the time required to do the ground survey is extremely variable so you often need patience.  Or perhaps much better survey people then I have.  But I've got a serious officer shortage at the moment. 
Isn't the time required for a survey (both ground and space) directly linked to planet/moon/asteroid size?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:20:03 AM »
Alex,  my feeling is that it is...but on the other hand I've had variable times even surveying asteroids, and moons.  It took several months to survey hestia for example.  This could be related to my not wonderful survey score...I think it is like 85-95 or so.  I have found it extremely variable is all I can say.  But my overall impression has been the smaller the body the faster the survey.