Author Topic: Getting Reacquainted  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Jumpp (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • J
Getting Reacquainted
« on: October 30, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
Having set the game aside for a few years, I'm back. And to get reacquainted with the game, one of the things I've done is to re-read a bunch of my old posts to refresh my memory about how I used to do things.

Some years back, I wrote this:

"I suggest using a 25HS engine at 1.20 power mod for your main warship drive.  That's a 960-EP engine, and one of those will push an 8,000 ton hull at 6,000 kps, a perfectly respectable speed.  That's a 2500-ton engine, and with 610 tons of fuel it'll have a range of around 25 billion km, which doesn't sound like a lot but turns out to be easy to live with once you try it.  Spending 3110 tons of an 8,000-ton ship on fuel and engine isn't bad."

And so I started a new game, bought Magneto-Plasma with my starting points, and tried to construct this engine. I've found that a 25HS engine with 1.20 power mod isn't 960EP as I then wrote, but 480EP.

Was I wrong when I wrote this recipe? Have I made some error in trying to reproduce it now? Have the rules changed since then?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Getting Reacquainted
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 09:28:09 AM »
I don't think any major changes have been made to engines since 6.0, and I'm pretty sure you weren't using an earlier version because that wouldn't let you design engines in the same way anyway.
You must have been mistaken XD
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Getting Reacquainted
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »
What you did was you used a 25HS engine when you retried it. "I suggest using a 25HS engine at 1.20" "That's a 2500-ton engine" 25HS = 1250 tons while 2500 tons = 50HS. I went and tested this and that is what it was. OR you used 2.4x power instead of 1.2x, I cant test this atm for reasons (I don't want to/don't have the tech).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:00:12 AM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.