Author Topic: Refuel/Resupply orders without joining fleet  (Read 6769 times)

Offline skoormit (OP)

• Rear Admiral
Refuel/Resupply orders without joining fleet
« on: April 23, 2020, 10:11:01 AM »
I have tanker/supply ship that I want to give repeating orders to for moving to and refueling/resupplying space stations in Sol.
But I can't do it.
I can only give it orders to Join & Refuel/Resupply.

But I don't want it to join the target fleet.
I just want it to move to the target fleet, Refuel/Resupply the target fleet, and move on.
(If it joins the target fleet, I have to babysit the transfer, then detach the ship and re-enter the orders. But I want this to be automated.)

Am I overlooking another option that allows this to be automated?

The following users thanked this post: Napier, redivider

Offline sisso

• Leading Rate
  • s
Re: Refuel/Resupply orders without joining fleet
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 12:32:08 PM »
I have a similar issue, I have 6 survey fleet without fuel.  The only way I found is to join the fleet, select a random target and order refuel from own tanks, detach, send tanker to the next.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline skoormit (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 01:47:17 PM »
I have a similar issue, I have 6 survey fleet without fuel.  The only way I found is to join the fleet, select a random target and order refuel from own tanks, detach, send tanker to the next.

When the tanker arrives at your fleet, you can have your survey fleet target the tanker and use the "Refuel from stationary ship" order.
I can do the same thing in my situation, but again, that makes the process not automatable.

The following users thanked this post: sisso

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 04:41:05 PM »
Now that sounds like a worthy suggestion.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 05:45:47 PM »
It would be nice if we could have the same order such as "Refuel from stationary ship" for both Supplies and Ordnance as well.

The best way that I have found to deal with this so far is to have my Collier/Supply ship set to automatically load any Sub-Fleet. I then can joint any fleet as a Sub-Fleet and then it will be automatically supplied and rearmed... after it is finished you can detach the Sub-fleet again and issue a new order.

It is not automated but at least I don't have to move ships around doing it that way and I keep the Names and Hierarchy of the fleets in general.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:02:10 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 12:20:06 AM »
Establish forward refueling hubs, then give the survey fleet an order to refuel at colony/hub at 40% fuel or w/e

Offline skoormit (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 05:59:34 AM »
Establish forward refueling hubs, then give the survey fleet an order to refuel at colony/hub at 40% fuel or w/e

That is an entirely separate issue.
I'm wanting a way to easily refuel the hubs themselves (when the hub is a station, not a planet).

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 06:24:40 AM »
Tried that with a ship with a refuel module. You need the fuel hub for that - otherwise the tanker is not recognized as a refuel place.

Online Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 08:13:22 AM »
Tried that with a ship with a refuel module. You need the fuel hub for that - otherwise the tanker is not recognized as a refuel place.

That is what is being suggested.  A "super-tanker" with a Refuel Hub module on it.
si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline skoormit (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 08:57:41 PM »

This is not an issue of the tanker not being recognized.
This is an issue of I can't order the tanker to give fuel to another fleet (without joining the fleet first). I can only order another fleet to take fuel from the tanker.

Offline cool_hc

• Leading Rate
  • c
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 10:09:30 PM »
Hi.
On this topic, is it possible to set max amount of fuel to refuel.
E. g.  if i build some fuel harvesters, i'd like to set max 10% fuel, before moving to gas giant, so it has just enough to arrive at destinations.
There is an option for 'minimum' fuel, but is missing the 'maximum' setting

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 11:17:21 PM »
Hi.
E. g.  if i build some fuel harvesters, i'd like to set max 10% fuel, before moving to gas giant, so it has just enough to arrive at destinations.

Ticking the "tanker" box for a ship causes it to load only 10% fuel from planetary stocks when built.

Offline cool_hc

• Leading Rate
  • c
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 11:15:07 AM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=11039. msg127808#msg127808 date=1587788241
Quote from: cool_hc link=topic=11039. msg127795#msg127795 date=1587784170
Hi. 
E.  g.   if i build some fuel harvesters, i'd like to set max 10% fuel, before moving to gas giant, so it has just enough to arrive at destinations. 

Ticking the "tanker" box for a ship causes it to load only 10% fuel from planetary stocks when built.

Thanks.  This is fantastic.

But i guess this only happens when the tanker is first built. 
Is there a method to refuel to 10% or set max fuel value for tankers already built?
E. g.  if i already have fuel harvesters on a gas giant, i want to periodically send an almost empty tanker there to collect the harvested fuel.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 12:06:56 PM »
Thanks.  This is fantastic.

But i guess this only happens when the tanker is first built. 
Is there a method to refuel to 10% or set max fuel value for tankers already built?
E. g.  if i already have fuel harvesters on a gas giant, i want to periodically send an almost empty tanker there to collect the harvested fuel.

The tanker can refuel from the harvester (default fills the tanker), then 'unload 90% fuel' somewhere else, but a lot of people have been reporting problems getting this to work.  I guess the movement orders aren't particularly intuitive.

There isn't currently any sort of 'fill to only this level' setting.  You might -- with the correct order delays to the correct units -- start the refuelling process then interrupt it by ordering one side of it to move away, such as:

A -- refuel from fleet B

B -- delay ten hours
B -- Move to {somewhere}

thus causing the refuelling to fail & stop after ten hours, but I expect that will throw an interrupt event and stop time.  You'd probably have to 'fix' the orders to make Aurora happy.

Offline logancapitalist

• Leading Rate
  • l
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 09:59:44 PM »
Can I refuel a ship without any kind of special equipment.  I have a survey ship that fell short of Earth but cannot seem to figure out how (if possible) to transfer fuel.