Author Topic: Ground Unit Armor  (Read 1811 times)

Offline ranger044 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
Ground Unit Armor
« on: August 13, 2020, 04:57:37 PM »
So I get how racial armor is calculated and I rather like the system, but is there a way to lower it? I'm doing an RP play through and I wanted to make some slave/prisoner battalions that I can mass produce.  I wanted them to be basically naked with bombs strapped to them lol.  Do I just need to make designs well in advance while my tech is low? Or can I lower their armor rating somehow?

First post on the forum, please direct me to better places to post this if I'm messing up :)

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Ground Unit Armor
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 05:04:13 PM »
So I get how racial armor is calculated and I rather like the system, but is there a way to lower it? I'm doing an RP play through and I wanted to make some slave/prisoner battalions that I can mass produce.  I wanted them to be basically naked with bombs strapped to them lol.  Do I just need to make designs well in advance while my tech is low? Or can I lower their armor rating somehow?

First post on the forum, please direct me to better places to post this if I'm messing up :)

I am not 100% sure, however, the ground design retains the specs of the original designs which is causing a lot of grief to many people which would like to be able updating all designs without actually create new units.

So if you do have created a unit with lower level of armour every time you are producing that unit it should be produced with that tech; if you do instead design exactly the same unit after have discovered the upgraded armour tech you'll end up with the upgraded armour.

Offline ranger044 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • r
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 05:08:47 PM »
I am not 100% sure, however, the ground design retains the specs of the original designs which is causing a lot of grief to many people which would like to be able updating all designs without actually create new units.

So if you do have created a unit with lower level of armour every time you are producing that unit it should be produced with that tech; if you do instead design exactly the same unit after have discovered the upgraded armour tech you'll end up with the upgraded armour. 

Thanks for the quick reply, I actually don't mind having to research the new stuff everything I tech up.  It makes sense to me, the US is still using Vietnam era squad automatic weapons after all.  If it ain't broke don't fix it is the way I look at it. 

I was just hoping for a way to manually lower the values.  I'll just make a template for slaves in advance "in case" my empire decided to *ahem* volunteer some xenos.

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 05:22:50 PM »
While you cannot intentionally design worse units than your tech allows, you can build forced labour camps to make use of xenos.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 05:30:05 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply, I actually don't mind having to research the new stuff everything I tech up.  It makes sense to me, the US is still using Vietnam era squad automatic weapons after all.  If it ain't broke don't fix it is the way I look at it. 

I was just hoping for a way to manually lower the values.  I'll just make a template for slaves in advance "in case" my empire decided to *ahem* volunteer some xenos.

That u cannot do currently

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 10:05:41 PM »
As a side note, I had been assuming that it auto-updated itself with new tech and that there was no point in putting out new designs.  I actually kindof like the idea of rolling out periodic upgraded units and will do so in the future.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »
Your only option is to create the unit and formation templates at game start - you'll also have to do conventional start without researching any of the improved conventional armors. Then you can keep building those templates and their armour will always be 2 which is the minimum. It's still not exactly naked but you can RP it that way.

Offline Dawa1147

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 08:02:35 AM »
Îf you are willing to play around with SM mode (backup your saves!), you can undo research you did (research tab, view completed projekts, delete weapon/armor tech). Then design the ground units wich SHOULD have the new lower armor values. Once you have your units designed, you SM back the research projects you already completed.