Author Topic: Medical module  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Mr.Nap (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Medical module
« on: April 28, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
I was thinking of a medical module, which we could integrate into our Naval and Ground forces? And have a bonus like the other modules? Such as: Scientific, Auxiliary Control, etc…? For example, a ship equipped with this module would have less loss in combat? Same for the ground units?
What do you think ?

Offline Silverkeeper

• S
Re: Medical module
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 09:25:10 AM »
It`s a good idea, I always use cryo to simulate a med bay.

Offline Mr.Nap (OP)

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 09:29:18 AM »
It`s a good idea, I always use cryo to simulate a med bay.

Yes me too, but even beyond the bonus, we would , have something more realistic, and I think even more immersive.
But, it remains to be seen whether Steve can integrate this kind of module. Because the calculation or the algorithm of losses, must not be easy.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:43:15 AM by Zirplay »

Offline Mr.Nap (OP)

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 11:02:04 AM »
The module can be searched, for example in the technological branch: Biology's / Genetics?
Finally, you have to see, because, given, Steve's titanic work ...  :o

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:53:41 PM »
This has been suggested in the past, multiple times. So far nobody has been able to give good answers to:

Ground units do not have personnel - single infantry can be a single soldier or it can be a group of soldiers or robots or whatever. There is no population cost for building ground units nor is there any connection between population and a ground unit. How would a medical module interact with vehicles? Should there be a separate battlefield recovery module only for vehicles? Or is this a magic TN module that works with everything?

Does the module double the actual HP of units? Or does it provide you with a random roll of saving X number of units per combat round? Should there be a tech line that improves the number of units saved? Should there be a different tech line that improves the odds of saving a unit? Should there be a third tech line for the amount of HP bought back per combat round? If it only interacts with HP, then regular infantry cannot gain any advantage - only genetically modified super soldiers can.

How many GSP should it consume per combat round? Does it need a fourth tech to modify that supply consumption? Should there be an additional cost, because this might alter how ground combat works radically?

As for ships, there it can work a bit easier since Crew both per ship and per race is tracked. Still, you should think about the tech line associated with it and what sort of percentages are we talking about - is it reducing the number of crew killed when a component is destroyed or does it bring back X number of crew from death after combat? What happens if the module itself gets hit - does that cause double or triple casualties to simulate the wounded being treated there? Should this require a new leadership bonus for naval officers or is this another use for Science officers?

Offline Mr.Nap (OP)

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 05:54:52 AM »
This has been suggested in the past, multiple times. So far nobody has been able to give good answers to:

Ground units do not have personnel - single infantry can be a single soldier or it can be a group of soldiers or robots or whatever. There is no population cost for building ground units nor is there any connection between population and a ground unit. How would a medical module interact with vehicles? Should there be a separate battlefield recovery module only for vehicles? Or is this a magic TN module that works with everything?

Does the module double the actual HP of units? Or does it provide you with a random roll of saving X number of units per combat round? Should there be a tech line that improves the number of units saved? Should there be a different tech line that improves the odds of saving a unit? Should there be a third tech line for the amount of HP bought back per combat round? If it only interacts with HP, then regular infantry cannot gain any advantage - only genetically modified super soldiers can.

How many GSP should it consume per combat round? Does it need a fourth tech to modify that supply consumption? Should there be an additional cost, because this might alter how ground combat works radically?

As for ships, there it can work a bit easier since Crew both per ship and per race is tracked. Still, you should think about the tech line associated with it and what sort of percentages are we talking about - is it reducing the number of crew killed when a component is destroyed or does it bring back X number of crew from death after combat? What happens if the module itself gets hit - does that cause double or triple casualties to simulate the wounded being treated there? Should this require a new leadership bonus for naval officers or is this another use for Science officers?

Indeed, the questions you raise gives the measure, perhaps of the impossibility of carrying out such a module. I imagine very well, that nobody could give a satisfactory answer, so much the complexity of the calculations, to perhaps review certain codes, etc ... I also asked myself questions, but with less analysis and precision that you Garfunkel.

Am I think, if it had been possible, Steve would probably already have created it.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 06:57:51 AM »
I won't say that it is impossible, just that it's a bit more complex topic than it seems on the surface.

If you're keen on the idea, then brainstorming it further with other people can hash things out to a point where it's a much more fleshed out proposal, making it likelier for Steve to take it on board.

Offline Mr.Nap (OP)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 07:29:02 AM »
I won't say that it is impossible, just that it's a bit more complex topic than it seems on the surface.

If you're keen on the idea, then brainstorming it further with other people can hash things out to a point where it's a much more fleshed out proposal, making it likelier for Steve to take it on board.

Why not, it's true that I like the idea (and I think I am not the only one) but you are right to point out, that with all these parameters to take into account, it will not be easy.
It is true that I saw this module with a more childish eye than with a pragmatic look.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 11:30:00 AM »
Honestly at some point I wouldn't mind seeing more fleshed out manpower mechanics for ground combat in general, though that's something thaat's probably only worth thinking about a few full versions down the line.

Offline Mr.Nap (OP)

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 12:50:40 PM »
Honestly at some point I wouldn't mind seeing more fleshed out manpower mechanics for ground combat in general, though that's something thaat's probably only worth thinking about a few full versions down the line.

Yes, I totally agree with you, that's why all ideas are welcome.
So the real question, I think, is not whether it is possible to do it, but "HOW" to do it.
With all the parameters mentioned by Garfunkel, there may be food for thought, ideas to take.