Author Topic: Sol System Icy Bodies  (Read 1421 times)

Offline plek (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • p
Sol System Icy Bodies
« on: May 16, 2020, 09:25:25 PM »
I don't know if this has been brought up somewhere before, I didn't see anything when searching.   

I noticed that there's only a couple bodies in the sol system, in game, that has a hydrosphere listed at all.   There are a at least a couple fairly prime examples missing, and a few that are probably less know - Europa and Enceladus are both ice rocks, both effectively 100% ice coverage with the latter being cryovolcanic and having an atmosphere.   In fact most of the bodies with volatiles like ice will have at least a trace atmosphere.   Pluto has a bunch of ice, most of the outer bodies are likely to be composed at least partially of ice of some sort.   

It'd be kinda great if some of that could be added in at some point.   It's not critical or anything but it'd make colonizing the sol system a little more interesting for those of us who are reaaaaaally slow about leaving it :D

e: on top of the ice stuff, some of the planets have more tectonic activity than is generally known.  Venus is a great example, because it has a huge number of volcanoes and we're pretty sure some of them are active.  Europa's ice acts similar to Earth's crustal plates as well.  Mercury is active, and Pluto shows signs of plate activity.  Hah, maybe I'm just begging for a full on Sol system pass, as we've learned a lot of new stuff over the last decade.  Juno, New Horizons, and others has been a boon.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:44:29 PM by plek »

The following users thanked this post: Gabethebaldandbold, serger, Ehndras

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
Re: Sol System Icy Bodies
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 10:42:53 PM »
Funny, I never noticed, probably because I practically never colonise past Mars (if at all) in Sol. You are right, at least the big moons should get water, if they have it. Great RP, realistic and mechanically interesting too for Terraforming.

Offline Ehndras

• Voidwalker
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 12:13:38 AM »
True! We've definitely discovered a lot about the solar system since Aurora originally came out :) Updates to Sol would rock!
"Boop!" goes the thermonuclear missile salvo

Offline plek (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • p
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 09:19:46 PM »
Yeah I've seen a few LPs that revolve around Sol and having more flavor would always be welcome.  I'm playing the Sol increasing heat by 1% every year and wanted to flee to the outer system but there's few good options really.  Not that they should necessarily be 'good' but there are some quirky options. 

Offline Treahblade

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 04:22:12 PM »
I usually if I remember or if those bodies have anything useful on them, SM the hydrosphere back onto the correct moons in sol. Its one way to fix them but it would be nice for them to be updated by default as there are several in the solar system that have frozen water on them.

Offline greatmustachio

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »
I would actually love if ice in the outer planets would be usefull in terraforming. Adding condensed water to an atmosphere is fine, i guess, but mining ice blocks from asteroids or outer objects and bringing them to Mars would be sooooo much cooler.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:33:41 PM by greatmustachio »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 11:05:02 AM »
I would actually love if ice in the outer planets would be usefull in terraforming. Adding condensed water to an atmosphere is fine, i guess, but mining ice blocks from asteroids or outer objects and bringing them to Mars would be sooooo much cooler.

Well, that's exactly what my terraformers do.

- - - - -

Given that the Sol system has the values it does because Steve researched what humnas know about it, I fully expect that at some point in the future it will be updated when he gets the time.