Author Topic: Automated Supply Management  (Read 1091 times)

Offline consiefe (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • c
Automated Supply Management
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:47:38 AM »
If we have lots of colonies, especially deep space stations like jp defence stations with maintenance modules, making sure they have ample MSP supplies can be a logistic nightmare.

What I propose is very simple. We need a detach standing order and assigning to pop ability. If we add a supply ship into the same fleet with deep space station, total MSP can be tracked at fleet level and then when its under %30, supply ship detaches and get sone supplies. Similarly a population without the capability of producing MSP but hosting bunch of security ships also need some solution. If we assign a supply fleet to the pop and keep track of  MSP level we can solve this with a standing order as well.

For now I am reluctant to make space stations because its too micro to manage. It's already hard to keep shipping MSP to the colonies.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
Re: Automated Supply Management
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:04:59 AM »
It is almost like the game wants one to manage logistics...

If you are not trying to make the majority of your colonial systems self-sufficient, you are doing it wrong.

You say stations need MSP so you are making military ships without engines?  Nothing wrong with that, but they should only be put up over colonies which can more than cover their MSP usage.
si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline consiefe (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 08:13:58 AM »
Simple commands which can manage shipments of MSP takes out nothing from the game, inversely it adds to it in my opinion.

I did Orbital Defences for all my colonies and like you said I always put them on orbits. But making all colonies aelf sufficent is out of question as this time you would need to manage mineral shipments. Nothing wrong building right fleets, producing enough MSP,  mineral hunting and transfering them to a central production place but at least shipping MSP when needed can be tracked by automated commands of our supply fleets.

And why not military stations in deep space. Whole idea is built around that. Steve made it like that. When you put maintenance stations there, you don't use it to serve your main fleet which is essentially served by main colonies. You want to put some threatening weapons there as a strategic place.

Edit: And there are more than one reason to create colonies. Maybe it has alien outpost for research boost, maybe it's strategically important, maybe it's a chokepoint etc. You can not expect from all systems can cover the mineral needs to be self sufficient.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:32:11 AM by consiefe »

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 08:56:02 AM »
General logistics orders are something I've been asking for for years.  While I hope Steve gets to them eventually, I understand that he has more pressing issues to deal with.

The following users thanked this post: consiefe