Author Topic: Unrest despite enough planetary defense  (Read 1625 times)

Offline harry the koala (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • h
Unrest despite enough planetary defense
« on: March 24, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »
On Mars, I have an unrest problem.  I have a population of 624. 42 million people, and a requested protetion level of 375 (which appears to make sense = 6 protection per 10 million population) My actual protection level is 480.  Despite having had 480 protection since Mars was much less populous, unrest has been continually rising:

Unrest is rising on Mars because the population believes the central government is not providing sufficient military protection.  Unrest increased by 0. 0695%

That % number has been slowly rising as the population rises.  Mars is now at 70. 30% political stability, which is less than great.

Any ideas on what's wrong? I can't find any suggestions of what is at fault here, so my best guess is that the actual protection level is in fact wrong? Mars actually has 6 PDCs (each with 30 PPV) while earth has 4 PDCs (with 30 PPV each). 

Offline hyramgraff

• Chief Petty Officer
  • h
Re: Unrest despite enough planetary defense
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 12:12:57 PM »
Your 10 PDCs have a combined PPV of 300.  Where is the other 180 PPV coming from?

Offline harry the koala (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • h
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »
Quote from: hyramgraff link=topic=8468. msg88333#msg88333 date=1458839577
Your 10 PDCs have a combined PPV of 300.   Where is the other 180 PPV coming from?

That is the question, isn't it (I have no other ships in the system that contribute to PPV)

And almost inevitably, now that I've posted, I think I know what is going on.

The system has a total of 10 PDCs, providing 300 PPV.   However, after taking a few measurements of the rate of unrest increase at various populations and extrapolating backwards, it seems that the rate of unrest increase would hit zero at very close to 480 million population.

So it seems that the 'Requested Protection Level' (of 375 (actually 377 now)) is right, and that my calculation that I have 300 PPV is right.  And the 'Actual Protection Level' is not in PPV despite appearances, but in million population.  So I actually have 300 PPV which keeps 480 million population happy, and everything then seems to be consistent with that view.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »
You need some ground troops as well. Just toss some Garrison and Replacement Battalions down and it should solve itself.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:12:50 AM »
So it seems that the 'Requested Protection Level' (of 375 (actually 377 now)) is right, and that my calculation that I have 300 PPV is right.  And the 'Actual Protection Level' is not in PPV despite appearances, but in million population.  So I actually have 300 PPV which keeps 480 million population happy, and everything then seems to be consistent with that view.

If this is the case (that Actual is displaying population, not points), then it's probably worth a post in Bugs.  Please be sure to use the official bugs thread, rather than starting a new one (see "Where should I post" in FAQ for details).

Have fun,
John