Author Topic: New Player  (Read 1195 times)

Offline DuraniumCowboy (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
New Player
« on: May 22, 2014, 11:47:51 AM »
Hey yall, I just started playing this a little while ago.   I was pretty familiar with Star Fire pen and paper, so a lot of the mechanics make sense.   I had a few basic questions that I can't find in the wiki:

1)  What does the standard NPR Chance = to 30 signify?  Is that 30% of the systems with potential systems with subject worlds have an NPR?  I just want to get an idea how soon I should expect to encounter an NPR.   In this case, I am doing a modified conventional start, and have scouted two systems in every direction.   With no contact, I am pausing to build up my home sector and getting some better tech prior to moving through any more way points.

2) Does jump gate efficiency make a jump drive smaller for a set tonnage?  I think so, but just wanted to make sure.

3)  I was doing TF training with my home defense fleet and they didn't get any benfit, other than breaking a bunch of crap.   I assume what I did wrong was not having a TF Command team assigned to the TG's that were training, but wasn't sure.

Offline Haji

• Captain
Re: New Player
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »
1) It's 30% chance of a NPR appearing on a planet where a NPR can appear, which means the planet in question has to satisfy certain conditions, such as having either nitrogen-oxygen (or nitrogen methane) atmosphere of certain density and composition and so on. I'm not exactly sure what conditions (and in what way) have to be satisfied, but generally less than one system in ten has an NPR race. In fact, considering some of my games, less than one in fifty has a NPR that can built starships.

2) I'm assuming you mean jump drive (not gate) efficiency. And yes, the higher the efficiency, the smaller the engine needed for a given jump tonnage.

3) You need to assign an officer with 'fleet training' trait as a staff officer - commander for a task force (not task group). You can do that via the "officer corps" screen. (note: other positions on staff, like intelligence officer, will be filled automathically, but the commander must be selected manually)

Offline Lamandier

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Joker, Smoker, Midnight Toker
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 12:19:24 PM »
According to the tooltip on the starting screen, 'suitable planet' means a planet with no ruins, atmospheric oxygen between 7% and 40%(though the game can also generate methane-breathing races as well as oxygen-breathing ones), temperature between -40 and 60, and gravity between .4 and 2.5.

As far as jump drives go, from what I can tell, the formula is max ship size = (efficiency * jump engine size).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:21:25 PM by Lamandier »
"In doing so, you will see things no human has ever seen before! It will be... fun! Assuming you're not vaporized, dissected, or otherwise killed in an assortment of supremely horrible and painful ways! Exciting, isn't it?"

Offline DuraniumCowboy (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:25:08 PM »
Thanks, with the TF training, I only have two officers senior enough fill in as TF commander and they were tied up.   I appreciate the replies.