Author Topic: How to Use Mines  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Adseria (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
How to Use Mines
« on: March 30, 2021, 09:30:36 AM »
How exactly do I deploy mines (As in blowing stuff up, not digging stuff up)?

I'm trying to lay mines on a jump point, but, whatever I try, it doesn't seem to want to work; the mines either don't launch and just vanish, or launch but then immediately vanish.

The mines I'm using are fairly standard; an active-sensor buoy with two active-sensor missiles on the second stage. No boost stage or anything.

How should I set the fire control? Where should I launch them from? How should I launch them?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
Re: How to Use Mines
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 11:27:43 AM »
Not; they're broken in the current version, as you found out.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 12:01:29 PM »
I believe Steve has them fixed in the next version, but in my experience, they've never worked in the C# version.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 12:38:58 PM »
I use fighter hulls with box launchers as 'mines' for this version. Not exactly hands off auto kill - but it works for cheap long lasting JP defense. Not too hard to get 100+ years deployment time. Civ Carrier to deploy, so no military logistics needed.

Offline Adseria (OP)

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 02:55:36 PM »
Ah. Wish I'd known that before I built a dedicated minelayer, but anyway...  ;D

Thanks for letting me know.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 04:10:06 PM »
I believe Steve has them fixed in the next version, but in my experience, they've never worked in the C# version.

This was my assumption on the changelog discussion based on some of the fixes reports from Steve and I can see a few users are now actually taking that for granted. However, such a fix was referring to the 2nd stage detection and Steve never confirmed or acknowledged that a problem with mines actually exists. From what we know he could even not want mines and I don't want to be wrong here but I actually remember him saying something on this back on Aurora VB6.

The problem with mines is that it opens to a very cheesy exploit. One could design a buoy to be launched at a waypoint (out of the MFC range) then launch missiles to use such buoy to acquire targets again out of MFC range making MFC completely useless and long-range (very long) artillery easy to use. Obviously, the players can limit themselves in using such tactic but it would still be a "design" flaw.

I am just saying this because detection alone would not sort entirely the mines issue as there were also other factors involved such as the above.

I will be the first to test mines again as soon as 1.13 will be out though.

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 08:02:13 AM »
Is it possible to make a civillian station on a jump point in a stable orbit and then just put military vessels (Like fighters, facs and corvettes) in its hangar bay? It seems like a win-win to me. There is no deployment, you would be able to make it massive, the costs are low and you can have a big ass defence fleet orbiting it because of the orbital habitats, so no need to worry about deployment time.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 08:25:53 AM »
Is it possible to make a civillian station on a jump point in a stable orbit and then just put military vessels (Like fighters, facs and corvettes) in its hangar bay? It seems like a win-win to me. There is no deployment, you would be able to make it massive, the costs are low and you can have a big ass defence fleet orbiting it because of the orbital habitats, so no need to worry about deployment time.

Not possible, I'm afraid. Hangar bays make a ship military. There are commercial hangar bays which don't, but they don't make the maintenance timer stop for the vessels inside it.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 08:41:31 AM »

Not possible, I'm afraid. Hangar bays make a ship military. There are commercial hangar bays which don't, but they don't make the maintenance timer stop for the vessels inside it.

this is possible if you put maintenance modules on the station as well, as they maintain the vessels within the hangar as well.

heres an example station i use.

Manchester class Starbase      200,000 tons       1,867 Crew       9,284 BP       TCS 4,000    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 300      Sensors 5/5/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 10,029    Max Repair 200 MSP
Hangar Deck Capacity 25,000 tons     Magazine 2,000    Cryogenic Berths 10,000    Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 10   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Flight Crew Berths 500   
Maintenance Modules: 25 module(s) capable of supporting ships of 40,000 tons
Gym Facilities    Internal Bulkheads    Internal Sensors    Main Shuttlebay    Physics Lab    Security Office    Stellar Cartography    Target Range   

Fuel Capacity 11,083,000 Litres    Range N/A
Refuelling Capability: 50,000 litres per hour     Complete Refuel 221 hours

Ordnance Transfer Rate: 40 MSP per hour     Complete Transfer 50 hours
Whisby Electronic Systems Basic Thermal Detection System (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  17.7m km
Whisby Electronic Systems Basic Navigational Sensor Array (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  17.7m km

Offline DNAturation

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 08:59:42 PM »
Maintenance modules require maintenance supplies.  I was trying to set up a permanent station off a jump point for my jump point carronade monitors, they were still running out of supplies and having malfunctions until I realized that.  Now I have to send supply ships there to dump off maintenance supplies every now and then.

Offline TurielD

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 03:04:41 PM »
But are mines actually working?   ???

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »
    No. There was a fix to missile targeting in an earlier patch but they were affected by other bugs too. There's another fix coming in 1.14:

• Fixed bug that caused 2-stage buoys without targets to self-destruct.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 01:38:10 AM »
    No. There was a fix to missile targeting in an earlier patch but they were affected by other bugs too. There's another fix coming in 1.14:

• Fixed bug that caused 2-stage buoys without targets to self-destruct.

SWEET! That should help me with some spoilers problems i am soon to have.
Thanks for the information man![/list]

Offline Norm49

• N
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 05:22:37 PM »
Ah. Wish I'd known that before I built a dedicated minelayer, but anyway...  ;D

Thanks for letting me know.

I tend to use mine layer as buoy tender. To deploy buoy at jump gate to monitor them. You can probably use that ship for that role with out massive refit.