Author Topic: 4.2 Bugs  (Read 6248 times)

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
4.2 Bugs
« on: August 08, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »
Just realized we're up to 4.22, so starting a new thread (since there's already 7 pages in the 4.1 thread :) ).

On the Manage SY tab of the F2 screen, Civie fleets are showing up as potential "target" task groups in the "Create Task" area.  In other words, you can accidentally send your new construction into a civie fleet.

John

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: 4.2 Bugs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
Similar Issue:  On the Task Group (F12) screen, "civilian shipping" shows up in the "Task Force" pull-down to which task groups can be assigned.

John

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 03:53:38 PM »
I think there may be a subtle sequencing bug in orbital motion.  Two things I've noticed on the Earth-Mars run:

1)  My civies sometimes end up where Mars was, rather than at Mars.  One possibility (non-bug) is that the update length was just a hair too short, so that the fleet didn't quite make Mars orbit, then Mars moved away.  The other possibility is that it made it to Mars and did stuff, but wasn't properly flagged as being in Mars orbit and so didn't move with Mars.  I had thought it was the former, but....

2)  I just got a new error message "Colony 01 failed to Load Colonists Earth.  Any additional orders will be on hold until this problem is resolved" on my colony ship, which I've got on a repeat loop picking colonists (and fuel) up at Earth and unloading at Mars.  It had already made several circuits, so this was something unique, but on this one it looks like it didn't get unloaded at Mars - there were still 50K colonists on board when it tried to execute the load at Earth.  I think (but am not sure) that it might have been in the "Mars moved out from under me" situation when it last was at Mars - this leads me to suspect some sort of glitch where it arrived at Mars, cycled to the next order in the queue, but when it tried to unload Mars was gone.  The only other thing I can think of is that the colony ship refused to offload at Mars because off overpopulation relative to infrastructure (but I didn't see any warning about that).

I'll post more if I see it again and get better info.

John

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 07:02:50 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
I think there may be a subtle sequencing bug in orbital motion.  Two things I've noticed on the Earth-Mars run:
[SNIP]
I'll post more if I see it again and get better info.

Ok, a little more infor that I think is related - it's a good news/bad news thing....

The good news: Mars has produced a load of export news (chemicals) that are wanted at Earth!!!

The bad news: the freighter that loaded them, "Roberts Wheelbarrow 002" seems to have gotten confused and is trying to offload them at Mars, which already has a surplus.  So it keeps moving to Mars, not offloading them (presumably because Mars is an exporter of chemicals rather than an importer), and waiting for Mars to move out from under it on a 5-day update so it can repeat the cycle.  I suspect that the freighter in question hit whatever glitched my colony ship (a repeat of which I've not seen in probably a year of game time) and the freighter is now hitting the "can't offload" error and getting stuck.

This leads to two suggestions:

1)  Set up an error handling routine so that when a freighter reaches a population which doesn't want its cargo, it looks for someplace else that does and heads there.  If it can't find such a location, it ditches the cargo at a lost and goes back to an empty state.

2)  Allow editing of destinations and/or cargo of civie lines in SM mode.  Even a "clear cargo" and/or "clear destination" buttons on the shipping lines screen would probably do the trick.

John

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 08:56:34 PM »
This is on a fresh installation.

I created a new game, selecting USA as Racial and Commander Themes but it looks like the Commander Theme has been set incorrectly.

The ranks are R1 through R8 and have Rear Admiral (lower half) plus Rear Admiral (upper half). The R7 (Admiral) is called Aura Gupta and none of the other commander names look 'American'.

Pretty sure the USA Commander Theme is only R1 through R7?

*edit*
The database shows my themeID as 5 and nameThemeID as 3 if that helps.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 10:28:26 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
This is on a fresh installation.

I created a new game, selecting USA as Racial and Commander Themes but it looks like the Commander Theme has been set incorrectly.

The ranks are R1 through R8 and have Rear Admiral (lower half) plus Rear Admiral (upper half). The R7 (Admiral) is called Aura Gupta and none of the other commander names look 'American'.

Pretty sure the USA Commander Theme is only R1 through R7?

*edit*
The database shows my themeID as 5 and nameThemeID as 3 if that helps.

I saw the same thing, and googled for USN ranks.  Lo and behold, those actually are the ranks http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=266

This actually cleared up something that's been confusing me for the last while - I was trying to assign ranks to stars, and I was having a lot of trouble with two and three stars since I could only remember with 3 ranks of admiral (rear, vice, and admiral).  I suspect Steve saw a similar reference and fixed it.

And yes, the old US theme only went up to R7.  The differences are:

New theme starts at Lt Commander (O4) - old them started at Commander (O5). +1

New theme doesn't have a Commodore rank, while the old did. -1

New theme has two flavors of Rear Admiral.  +1

So there's a net increase of one rank.

John

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 10:49:17 PM »
Weirdness with cycling orders:

I have a freighter taking infrastructure from Earth to Mars on infinite loop.  Orders are

Refuel at Earth
Load infrastructure at Earth
Unload infrastructure at Mars

in that order (with the cycle button checked).  On the system map (F3) the ship shows at about 1/2 way back to Earth, and both F3 and F12 claim 2:11:05 as an ETA.  I wanted to change over to carrying construction factories, so started to delete the last two orders.  The first time I hit the Remove button though I get a pop-up "The current order is still being carried out and has & 0:00:49 time remaining.  Are you sure you wish to delete it?"  Note that I just restarted Aurora after going out to dinner, so whatever's messed up is probably in the DB.

My prime suspect here is that Aurora is mixing up orders between my freighter and one of the civies (there's one at Mars right now).

John

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »
Forgot to take a note of the error message for this one and the event window won't list it even though I check the error message flag.

I was retooling a commercial shipyard that had no assignment. I clicked once and it set the task to retool correctly, but then I clicked again (I'm polishing off a bottle of wine ...) and it threw an error whilst trying to set a retooling task for the exact thing thing.

I blame the wine *hic*  :shock:

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »
Two things in the "Manage SY" tab of the pop (F2) window that are deadly in combination:

1)  Some of the actions in the window cause the selected SY to pop back to the first one in the list.  This is not very noticable, and leads one to give commands to the wrong (first) SY

2)  Giving an "add capacity" order to a SY that's already working on adding capacity stomps the order that's in progress without popping up an "are you sure" box.

In combination, this means that I'm regularly (every few days of real time) stomping "add capacity" tasks on my first SY, losing all progress on the task.

I think similar things happen with retooling, e.g. "add capacity" will stomp a retool that's in progress.  I remember that there is  at least one action that pops an "are you sure" box in this dialog, but I don't remember what it is - maybe changing what you're retooling to.

John

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 03:43:39 PM »
I am getting game freezes after after a minimum of 10days increment.

That is to say, that at the 11th 1 day increment it has hung and became 'not responding' with 1 CPU core running at 100%.

No error messages and I can't think of anything that I am doing that may be causing it. So probably an NPR?

Offline rdgam

• Chief Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 08:03:28 PM »
I gave a fleet the conditional order to join parent fleet when in the system (my favorite way to add new ships to cargo, colony groups).
However, when it generated the order it was in error.  It just said 'join' on the order list like it was to a null fleet.

I repaired a ship with battle damage and the event said it added the lost crew, but the ship details still had the losses.  I fixed the record in the ship table manually.

Entered a new system and the program went into an endless loop.  I killed it with the task manager.  When I restarted the new system (planetless) was there but no WP links.  I deleted it and forced a new system from the system generation window.

Another new system generated a new NPC with a race name of 35 characters.  I got an error about field too long to fit and then several about null race entries.
I would even get the message bringing up my galactic map (Error in LoadRaceData).  I fixed this by deleting the race.

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 09:46:13 PM »
Formatting on "Shipping Lines" page needs some tweaking:

The "close" button is almost completely hidden by the edge of the page.

When more Shipping lines are active than will fit in the panel, a scroll bar doesn't appear.

John

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 10:49:05 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I am getting game freezes after after a minimum of 10days increment.

That is to say, that at the 11th 1 day increment it has hung and became 'not responding' with 1 CPU core running at 100%.

No error messages and I can't think of anything that I am doing that may be causing it. So probably an NPR?

I just got a hang (in the econ update) 12 years into my game.  I'm fairly certain it's due to an NPR running out of Duranium.

John

Offline Manekaalecto

• Leading Rate
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 05:03:37 AM »
Multi stage missiles error. After releasing second stage error pops out:

Error in SecondStageSeparation
Error 3265 was generated by DAO.Fields
Object not found in this collection.

(Third line is approximate translation).

Second stage is travelling with a speed 1000 times less than it should. (E.g. Anti ship missile with 17 000 km/s speed moves with speed 17 km/s when released as second stage).

Every time step (until the first stage runs out of fuel) the same error pops out and first stage tries to release second stage once again.

That results in new missile contact, consisting of  0 second stages, e.g. "0x Enforcer Anti-ship Missile released by Salvo #937"

This was tested on single and multiple second  stage release with release distance 999 000 km and 83 000 000 km, on two separate games.

Aurora was version 4.22 on laptop with US regional settings in Windows and forced 1280 X 1024 screen resolution.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 10:15:39 AM »
Steve in 4.22 I created a Xenological team then a new officer came up that I wanted to assign to it.

First I tried to assign one of the existing officers to "not assigned" in the officers window under the assignment section team and this didn't work, he remained in the team.

Second I tried "disband team" thinking I would just remake the team with the new person in it.  This does not work as the old team members no longer show up as assignable to the new team in the team creation window.

Is there no way to make them so you can assign who you want and change them over time?