Author Topic: 2.41 Bugs  (Read 8903 times)

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2008, 08:32:17 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Not sure if this is a bug or feature, but it looks like trade convoys aren't taking distance into account when calculating payoff.  I've been running a 1-jump convoy and getting 10% of the smaller population's wealth as a payoff.  When I switched to a 3-jump convoy, it was still just 10% (rather than the 30% I expected).

Its a feature. I originally had 2% per jump but changed it to 10% per trip of any length that included at least one jump. This was for a couple of reasons. Due to enemy held systems or just creating unnecessarily long trade routes, a trade run could be made more profitable than it should be. Secondly, the real measure should be distance rather than jumps, as two systems could be closer together in terms of time and distance than a second pair but much further apart in terms of jumps. I decided to go for the 10% one-off instead as the real payoff is finding high value populations with which to trade, regardless of distance. The requirement is at least one jump to distinguish from intra-system trade, although maybe I should add some type of lower trade value for automated civilian traffic between two pops in the same system.

In fact, going further I wonder if I should start adding more civilian elements, such as small private sector spaceports that can spring up by themselves and support intra-system traffic such as trade convoys to other pops in the same system, prospecting ships, maybe even civilian-generated colonisation and mining colonies. Hmm! - Intersting :)

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
(No subject)
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2008, 10:10:53 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"

In fact, going further I wonder if I should start adding more civilian elements, such as small private sector spaceports that can spring up by themselves and support intra-system traffic such as trade convoys to other pops in the same system, prospecting ships, maybe even civilian-generated colonisation and mining colonies. Hmm! - Intersting :)

Steve

If you did that, then perhaps you could eventually have them go to interstellar civilian things as well?  Imagine the fun if the Slaaz Empire suddenly has a colony in a system I claim, but their excuse is that it's just civilians and not an "official" venture.  Of course they wouldn't let you just drive them off, though...

You could let the empire set "rules" on what the civilians are allowed to do, or mark systems or certain bodies as "nogo" areas.  For grins, marking a valuable moon as "nogo" might only reduce the chance, and unless you ran a ship by to check on them you might not see one of your own civilian companies mining those resources you were saving for a rainy day.

Laurence
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Laurence »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »
Quote from: "Laurence"
If you did that, then perhaps you could eventually have them go to interstellar civilian things as well?  Imagine the fun if the Slaaz Empire suddenly has a colony in a system I claim, but their excuse is that it's just civilians and not an "official" venture.  Of course they wouldn't let you just drive them off, though...

You could let the empire set "rules" on what the civilians are allowed to do, or mark systems or certain bodies as "nogo" areas.  For grins, marking a valuable moon as "nogo" might only reduce the chance, and unless you ran a ship by to check on them you might not see one of your own civilian companies mining those resources you were saving for a rainy day.

Good idea!

(thinking out loud and rambling now)

The interesting question becomes whether civilian traffic is visible to the 'owning' player. Is that sensor contact an alien invader or an intrepid civilian mining expedition. Players might get used to the regular trade convoys but the sudden appearance of a civilian-financed colony expedition might send a few shivers through the equivalent of NORAD. It also raises the question of how 'civilian' colonies interact with state-sponsored colonies. An easy option would be for civilians to only migrate to existing colonies (using 'civilian' colony ships rather than the Empire's own colony ships) and then immediately become part of that population. Another option is independent colonies that are not under player control (although they might share a planet with an state-sponsored colony) and are treated almost like alien empires, except the player gets some tax income, perhaps trade income and maybe some sensor data if the colony has sensors. Players could 'nationalise' the colonies but there would have to be some penalty for doing so. A civilian colony expedition might decrease unrest as dissatisfied citizens leave their current planet and 'nationalising' a colony, or even attacking it, would raise unrest across the Empire.

Perhaps the chance of colonisation is determined by government type with democracies having a much greater chance of spawning civilian traffic and colonies than say a Stalinist Communist regme.

I guess this could also become the basis of 'pirates' if a new, out-of-the-way colony built a shipyard and a few raiders :). It would probably take a long time for that though under the regular rules so there have to be some coporate financing involved so the 'pirate base' could be established reasonably quickly.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2008, 12:44:53 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
How many research points did your planet produce that increment?  I have a suspicion that wealth for research is getting charged twice when you complete a project (once for the project you complete, and again for the new project you start).  Or maybe it's just the portion spent on the new project that is getting doubled.

I.E. If your 30-day increment generates 243 research points, and it takes 112 to finish your current project, I think Aurora might be charging you either 486 wealth, or (243+112) 355 wealth.

I have found the problem. When you completed a project partway through the increment you were getting charged an amount equal to research for the whole increment. Any queued research was then being charged for the remaining time. So if you completed a project 12 days into a 30 day increment, you were charged 30 days research for that project and then 18 days for the second project. Fixed for v2.5

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2008, 04:11:50 AM »
OK, this is not really a 2.41 bugette but a 2.5 one but anyway...

On selecting the SM race two errors are reported in  GetSpeciesPercentage, error 94 (invalid use of Null) and error 6 (Overflow).

Slainthe

Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ZimRathbone »
Slàinte,

Mike