Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 173905 times)

Offline Psawhn

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • P
Re: Semi-Official 7.0 Suggestion Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »
Quote from: Sirce
One nice adjustment I would like to see is the event message for scientist that improve their skill have a shorthand for what field they are in. 

Current: Through experience as a project leader, Scientist Steve Wamsley has increase his Research Bonus to 30%

Suggested (using Construction and Production for example): Through experience as a project leader, CP Scientist Steve Wamsely has increase his Research Bonus to 30%. 

This will be nice to have for events update.
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8107. msg85576#msg85576 date=1454241894
Added for v7. 2

Would it be easy to change all officer updates to gender-neutral language? It's just peculiar to see obviously feminine names be attributed with "his. "

"Through experience as a project leader, the Research Bonus of PP Scientist Elena Ivanova has increased to 30%. "

"Although not currently assigned to a project, the Research Bonus of LG Scientist Janine Richards has increased to 20% via hard studying. " or ". . . LG Scientist Janine Richards has studied hard and now has an increased Research Bonus of 20%. "

"Through training or experience, the Mining Bonus of Civilian Administrator Nathaniel Sisto has increased to 45%. "

Offline Thineboot

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2016, 03:02:17 AM »

Accidentally stumbled upon

Through experience as a project leader, Scientist ___ ___ has increased his Research Bonus to __%

Ok, that's normal but when he gained Bonus he had 0 research labs because of temporary push another project.
After testing this behavior it seems Scientists only need to be pretend to work on a project.
Maybe I'm wrong and they raise even without this, maybe it's working as intended.
Please check it and if necessary add a proper query.

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2016, 04:03:07 AM »
In the Mining Tab of the Population and Production window There is an average shown of all availabilities which looks to be calculated as the sum of all non-zero availabilities/ # of non-zero availabilities.  While that stat  has some merit another one might be even more useful. That is the sum of all non-zero availabilities / 11.

Assume that your home world has 5 resources all with huge quantities but at .2 availability The screen would currently show an average of .2

Now assume that an asteroid has supplies of only two elements (probably in lesser quantities)  but with an availability of .4 for each The screen would show an average of .4

Using the revised calculation the home planet would show .09 while the asteroid would show .07

Since moving a single automated mine from the home world would decrease overall mining production there is some validity to the second method of calculation.
Perhaps one or both could be displayed in the header area or in side by side cells?
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2016, 04:57:44 AM »
Accidentally stumbled upon

Through experience as a project leader, Scientist ___ ___ has increased his Research Bonus to __%

Ok, that's normal but when he gained Bonus he had 0 research labs because of temporary push another project.
After testing this behavior it seems Scientists only need to be pretend to work on a project.
Maybe I'm wrong and they raise even without this, maybe it's working as intended.
Please check it and if necessary add a proper query.

That is normal it was added in to help with micromanagement issues, you used to always have to assign someone to a project to get experience. This led to essentially exploiting the system by giving a scientist one lab and a project so they could get better, the main reason being otherwise you would get your main scientist retire or die and suddenly have no one able to field more than 5 or 10 labs in a project. This way you still get a drop in admin rating but it is not quite so severe so the desire to do silly 1 lab projects is taken away.

The following users thanked this post: Thineboot

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
Could we have missile armor scale with size somehow?  It seems a bit bizarre that the same amount of armor provides the same protection to a size 20 missile as a size 1 missile.
My impression is that Steve is really unhappy with missiles having armor/HTK at all;  on a per-ton basis it doesnt make alot of sense even as is.  Ofc, you can handwave it as 'surviving near misses'.

I did start sketching out an idea where missiles would have an ecm/decoy 'htk' at one point.  Like, a missile salvo of ten missiles where the individual missiles have 1 point of decoys would have 2 'htk'; an incoming attack would roll against that sorta like how missiles work now. The difference is that a 'miss' would reduce the Decoy value by 1 point, so the salvo would now have 19/10 or 1.9 'htk'. 

Offline Thineboot

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2016, 09:56:08 AM »
Please add a "Double Click" on "Select Team" in "Task Group Orders" to add move.
At the moment you can only "Add Move" (click or shortcut).

Same for "Select Ground Unit" aso.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:38:07 AM by Thineboot »

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline Kirkegaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2016, 11:17:22 AM »
I have two minor suggestion for improving the "Geological Survey Report"

1) Add an "Ignore colonies" option. Since it would be rather nice to remove already existing colonies from the search and should be rather easy to do.

2) Add an all or totals to the list of minerals. So you can search for total number of all minerals.

Offline Cargus10

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »
OK, maybe this has been mentioned before, but there's a lot of board messages out there :)

1.  Automation

- A separate tech area under C&P
- reduces crew requirements for ships
- eventually reduces population requirements for everything.
- need at least 1 level for Automated Mines

2.  Crew Replenishment

- Have  a "personnel" module ant gets filled from population.
- when ordered to "rotate crews", can take a low-morale crew off a ship, and replace with a new, rested crew.
- if done on military ships, crew grade should suffer considerably.
- regular shore leave should also lower crew grade slightly (retirees, awols, etc. )

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline jiduthie

• Chief Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2016, 03:14:50 AM »
A check box for "don't interrupt on completion" order would be handy for tankers or freighters that are stationed on a pop for quick runs to nearby planets/moons. Sometimes I purposely leave a single freighter or tanker on a population and I'm not particularly worried if he's not doing anything productive at any given increment.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2016, 04:38:01 AM »
In the Technology Report window. Please add a default "category" All, which will be useful early on or for those who don't employ many simulations designs. Those who do will still be able to pick a specific mask.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2016, 01:02:02 AM »
Cryological spaces on PDCs, with the explicit use as a "fallout shelter" for civilians. Would likewise take largely the same amount of time to load and unload as normal cryo ships do, though, so you'd best load them if you know you're going to have a large risk of oncoming planetary bombardment.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2016, 05:26:32 AM »
It would be nice if when boarding ships you could get POW's, I was under the false impression this happened already but it seems not to be the case, but if you board a ship and get "61 survivors for interrogations" then the ship should have 61 POW's on board.

Offline firsal

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • f
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2016, 07:55:24 AM »
Hi all! I'm a long time lurker on these forums, and i absolutely love this game.  Seeing that ground combat has received some attention lately (i lost my smeg when i saw the post detailing titans), I'd like to throw in a succession of my own :D

Artillery has been a major part of warfare for most of human history and i find it weird that these types of units are not properly represented in game.  While one could disregard the issue by assuming that artillery is already a part of existing unit types, such an assumption is totally unrealistic as modern-day heavy artillery are usually organised into battalions at the very lowest level.

What I'm proposing is that Steve will add a new type of unit, the Artillery Battalion, which will have the following characteristics:

-can be researched for 5000RP. 
-50%-75% of race combat power on the attack, zero defence
-instead of attacking like other ground units, it bombards them.  This bombardment attack can be directed at opposite units like a regular attack, but the Artillery battalion does not take any damage from the engagement.

Seeing that Steve has implemented a bombardment mechanic for Titans, i do not think that it would take much work to add this unit type in (although i may be mistaken since I'm not a programmer)

Also, sorry for my bad grammar and lack of capitalised i's  ;D i typed this all up on my mobile

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2016, 01:11:24 AM »
Looking at the above thread, can we get a combat intensity setting for ground combat (similar to MOO3)?

Low intensity fighting when you don't want the titan's artillery blasting a hole where the enemy (or your) factories are. High intensity fighting for all out assaults without a care for damaged factories, or scorched earth tactics when fighting on your own soil.

MOO3 and Galactic Civ also had special bonuses you could select such as Chemical Weapons, Bio Weapons, Nuclear Weapons, Rods from God and so forth, although I'm not sure that would mesh well with Aurora.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:07:57 AM by swarm_sadist »

Offline drejr

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • d
« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2016, 01:31:23 AM »
Low-intensity titan warfare?  ???

The one thing I would like to see in ground combat is NPRs who aren't purely reactive. I have no idea how difficult it would be to program an NPR to perform invasions, but even if they could attack ground forces on their planet it may make combat drops an essential tool for planetary assault as well as boarding.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:44:17 AM by drejr »