Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 1402 times)

Offline quintin522 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • q
Some questions
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »
1. What are magazines for?

2. I keep hearing about anti-ship missiles. How do I build them, and how do I use them?

3. CIWS? What are they exactly?

4. Do shipyards really only build one kind of ship? Heard something somewhere about it being able to build any ship of a class, is that true?

5. Do I have to make a new class for each ship I design, or can I make ones that are of an existing class? How?

6. Whats the exact process of building PDC's, OWP's ? Of moving them where you want them and putting them together?

7. Sensors. Active, thermal, em. What do I need to know about their sizes? Have seen talk about needing different sizes, as some can only detect large ships far away and some small ships up close.

8. How useful are tractor beams?

9. What exactly is a jump-tender?

10. Lasers, Mesons, Carrodes, Torpedoes, what does each one do?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
Quote from: "quintin522"
1. What are magazines for?

Storage room for your missiles. You realy don´t want to run out of ammo in the middle of a battle

2. I keep hearing about anti-ship missiles. How do I build them, and how do I use them?

F2 screen, hit "Missiles". After designing, research them, then built them (F2, Industry)
Design a launcher for the missiles (preferably same size)
Put launcher and magazins and missile targeting system and active sensor on ship or PDC --> blast your enemy

3. CIWS? What are they exactly?

Close In Weapon System. Defends ship mounting it against enemy missiles. Uses Gauss Cannon Launch Velocity, Gauss Cannon Rate of Fire, Beam Fire Control Range and Fire Control Speed Rating. Does not need any Sensors/Targeting Systems/Power Plants

4. Do shipyards really only build one kind of ship? Heard something somewhere about it being able to build any ship of a class, is that true?

Yes, but you can retool a shipyard for another class (F2, Manage Shipyards, Retool for selected Class)

5. Do I have to make a new class for each ship I design, or can I make ones that are of an existing class? How?

Yes, hit the "New" button on the class design screen (F5)

6. Whats the exact process of building PDC's, OWP's ? Of moving them where you want them and putting them together?

Just design them, like any other ship. (For PDCs, select PDC instead of Ship) OWPs are simply ships without engines.
PDCs are build by your industry, OWPs in your shipyards.
PDCs are not moveable, once build. You can build prefabed PDCs (F2, Industry) which can be shiped out and assemled where needed. Once assembled, they too ar no longer moveable.

7. Sensors. Active, thermal, em. What do I need to know about their sizes? Have seen talk about needing different sizes, as some can only detect large ships far away and some small ships up close.

Well, the bigger the better, but also the more resources and space required.
Thermal and EM are passives, Actives are, well, active (think radar)
Actives have a sensor strength (depends on your techlevel and size) and a resolution.
Resolution means, what size a sensor is optimized to detect. A sensor optimized to see 30.000t battleships (resolution 600) will have a very _very_ hard time seeing a tiny missile (size 1)
An active can see a target the size of its resolution or larger out to its maximum range, but smaller ones only at significantly shorter ranges. The formula goes something like this:
(Target size / resolution) ^2  x  max range, so a res 100 sensor, optimized for 5.000t ships with a range of 100 million km, can see a 1.000t FAC (size 20) only at  ((20 / 100) ^2) x 100 mkm = (0.2 ^2) x 100 mkm = 4 mkm

8. How useful are tractor beams?

Used to move
a) OWPs around
b) wrecks/cripples/Terraformer Platforms/Fuel Harvesting Platforms around

9. What exactly is a jump-tender?

Jumpships can carry additional ships through a jumppoint. Put a few in a fleet and the fleet has jump capability. Of course, loos those jump-tender and your fleet is suddenly stranded out in no-mans-land
Main travelrouts can also have a jumpship parked on the jumppoints, acting as a sort of "poor mans jumpgate"

10. Lasers, Mesons, Carrodes, Torpedoes, what does each one do?

Shoot at the enemy :)

Look here: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=1962#p18706

PS: You realy should work through the tutorials viewforum.php?f=101
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
6. OWP (Orbital Weapons Platform) is just a name.  Most people only give that name to ships without engines, but there's nothing stopping you from calling any unit you build an OWP - just like you could call any unit an 'Enterprise-class Supercarrier' whether or not it actually carries any fighters.

7. The power of an individual sensor is a result of antenna size (ie hull space devoted to the antenna) and sensor strength (a technology) - and, in the case of active sensors, chosen resolution (ie the size of target the sensor is

8. In combat?  No use whatsoever.  For moving around slow, damaged, or engineless units?  Quite useful.  Of course, you can repair damaged units in situ, and not build slow or 'immobile (actually 1 km/s) units, which puts tractor beams back to 'not really'.  Your choice.

9. Whatever you want it to be; again, jump tender is just a name.  For most people, it's a ship whose primary purpose is to provide jump point transit to other units, and store extra fuel, munitions, and/or maintenance for other ships.  May also mount powerful, long-range sensors to act as the 'eyes & ears' of other ships.

Offline quintin522 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • q
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 01:07:44 PM »
I had been reading the tutorials in the wiki, which were not up to date  :(

Just to clarify, can a PDC be built out in space, away from a planet? I was hoping to be able to use one as a kind of refueling/maintenance base

Is there a way to turn off civilian ship names?

The one other thing is what is an anti-missile missile? Not so much what it is, but how to build and use one

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 01:49:12 PM »
The tutorials on the wiki are the same tutorials on this site.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:38:48 PM »
Just to clarify, can a PDC be built out in space, away from a planet?

No, only on a system body (including tiny asteroids).

I was hoping to be able to use one as a kind of refueling/maintenance base.

You can build ships with no engines (they end up with a speed of 1km/s due to 'station-keeping thrusters') and tow them (with a ship-mounted tractor beam) to wherever you like, but they will not be maintenance-free.

Is there a way to turn off civilian ship names?

Not that I know of.  (Assuming you are referring to the "<civilian line name>  <class name>  <ordinal number>" automatically generated name.)

The one other thing is what is an anti-missile missile? Not so much what it is, but how to build and use one

One MSP, consisting of 1-point warhead, 0.01 to 0.05 fuel (depending on range of anti-missile sensors), and the rest engines & agility (tweak to give highest 'to hit' chance against expected enemy missile speed).