Author Topic: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0  (Read 25747 times)

Zed 6 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Suggestions Thread for v2.4.0
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2024, 10:00:53 PM »
The ability to SM create NPR minor races, right now it seems like when creating a new race through the system screen, the moment I tick NPR, the option for neutral race gets blocked. Interestingly trying to just create a neutral race results in all of the installations and stockpiles all default to 0.

Edit: How do you tell in the DB if a race is minor? On further inspection I now see that its got nothing to do with a race being marked neutral.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 10:51:17 PM by Droll »

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #286 on: March 03, 2024, 04:58:49 AM »
A very minor request, split the "Commander Health" message category into "Commander dying" and the rest ... so we can color them differently.

Offline DawnMachine

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #287 on: March 03, 2024, 05:30:37 AM »
Perhaps it has already been suggested. A "Modify" button is required in the GU Training tab

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #288 on: March 03, 2024, 08:17:25 AM »
The ability to SM create NPR minor races, right now it seems like when creating a new race through the system screen, the moment I tick NPR, the option for neutral race gets blocked. Interestingly trying to just create a neutral race results in all of the installations and stockpiles all default to 0.
Neutral and minor are two different things.

Neutral race is a completely passive population, usually on the same body as the actual player race. It exists to simulate non-aligned countries in multi-faction game and allows all active factions to utilize that population to simulate immigration to bring in extra colonists as needed. Neutral race has no AI code, cannot have any installations and will never do anything except grow its population.

Minor race is an alien race that is created when a player race enters a system, just like a normal NPR and it will grow and expand like a normal NPR, but it will never leave its home system. It exists to create an option between a full-blown NPR and a low-tech/conventional 'NPR' which will not do research or build industry - this last option exists to simulate low-tech alien populations that can be civilized through the power of superior firepower.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #289 on: March 03, 2024, 08:47:53 AM »
Neutral and minor are two different things.

Neutral race is a completely passive population, usually on the same body as the actual player race. It exists to simulate non-aligned countries in multi-faction game and allows all active factions to utilize that population to simulate immigration to bring in extra colonists as needed. Neutral race has no AI code, cannot have any installations and will never do anything except grow its population.

Minor race is an alien race that is created when a player race enters a system, just like a normal NPR and it will grow and expand like a normal NPR, but it will never leave its home system. It exists to create an option between a full-blown NPR and a low-tech/conventional 'NPR' which will not do research or build industry - this last option exists to simulate low-tech alien populations that can be civilized through the power of superior firepower.

Yeah I realize that now, my suggestion still stands though, as there doesn't really seem to be a flag I can see (not on the GUI nor on the DB) to designate an SM created race as a minor NPR.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2024, 09:48:41 AM »
Just a quick suggestion: Could there be logic implemented for civilian movement of colonists, similar to civilian installation movements?  ie, could the UI on the Civilian/Flags tab include a target population, for supply or demand, after which the population is set to stable? 

Just had my civilians completely drain one of my mining colonies of settlers.  Kind of frustrating when I still want people there, just not as many as I had.

Thank you! 

Hope you are enjoying the travel life, Steve!

I think what you want is already implemented.
In the economics window, under the civilian/flags tab, at the top there are 3 radio buttons.
Stable or destination should prevent civilians from taking colonists (although I expect it will not change currently assigned orders).
When a colony is created, it is set as a destination. I think there is a population level (probably 10 million) where the setting is automatically changed from a destination to source, it sounds like that changeover affected your colony.

As a possible alternative to one of my earlier suggestions (being able to sort the minerals window by total accessibility), I would also be amenable to the ability to export/copy the text in that window.

I can more-or-less brute-force that functionality by OCR'ing screenshots of the window, but that's obviously not ideal.

On a system by system level, you can get the mineral deposits in text form.
In the main window, in the left hand box, there is a tab called "Min Text", which has the body, mineral, and accessibility for the present system.
You can copy and paste the contents into a text file or spreadsheet.

Offline RagnarVaren

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #291 on: March 04, 2024, 03:14:35 PM »
Please add another check for civilian colony pick up after arriving at the source colony. 45 years into my game and the excessive amount of civilian colony ships means that the civilians can easily pick up all 30 million colonists in a colony and then I'm stuck for days dealing with "Pickup Failed" events since there aren't anymore colonists on the colony. 

Online xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #292 on: March 04, 2024, 09:00:06 PM »
It is currently impossible to make a turret in a multiple of five.

Could we get a quintuple turret option?

Offline Silvarelion

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2024, 07:50:22 AM »
Just a quick suggestion: Could there be logic implemented for civilian movement of colonists, similar to civilian installation movements?  ie, could the UI on the Civilian/Flags tab include a target population, for supply or demand, after which the population is set to stable? 

Just had my civilians completely drain one of my mining colonies of settlers.  Kind of frustrating when I still want people there, just not as many as I had.

Thank you! 

In the economics window, under the civilian/flags tab, at the top there are 3 radio buttons.
Stable or destination should prevent civilians from taking colonists (although I expect it will not change currently assigned orders).
When a colony is created, it is set as a destination. I think there is a population level (probably 10 million) where the setting is automatically changed from a destination to source, it sounds like that changeover affected your colony.

Well aware of this functionality.  The problem is when I want to bring the population up from 50 M to 60 M, for example.  Or if I want 10 M colonists picked up, but no more.  Right now, I can have a full blown industrial colony have all 50 M population set to "Source", wanting to move the extra 5 M pop that's there, and the whole 50 M pop will be resettled very quickly when there are too many civvies.  It would be awesome to have something a little more granular than what is already available.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2024, 11:24:43 AM »

Thank you! 

Well aware of this functionality.  The problem is when I want to bring the population up from 50 M to 60 M, for example.  Or if I want 10 M colonists picked up, but no more.  Right now, I can have a full blown industrial colony have all 50 M population set to "Source", wanting to move the extra 5 M pop that's there, and the whole 50 M pop will be resettled very quickly when there are too many civvies.  It would be awesome to have something a little more granular than what is already available.

Maybe a reserve level for population would work?

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2024, 08:56:43 PM »
Currently, when a body runs out of minerals, it'll throw a message "Deposits of X have been exhausted on [BODY]", which is great, if the colony on whatever body that just ran out of something's name hasn't been changed (either because it's a civilian mining operation or because you like naming things). If Ross 128's Asteroid #77 is actually called Bob's Mining Consortium, it can be a bit of a pain to locate.

My suggestion would be to change the message to "Deposits of X have been exhausted on [BODY] / [COLONY NAME]", and , in the possible situation where there's multiple colonies on a single body, have additional " / [COLONY NAME#2]", etc.

The following users thanked this post: Sparkles546

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #296 on: March 06, 2024, 06:26:43 PM »
As a possible alternative to one of my earlier suggestions (being able to sort the minerals window by total accessibility), I would also be amenable to the ability to export/copy the text in that window.

I can more-or-less brute-force that functionality by OCR'ing screenshots of the window, but that's obviously not ideal.

On a system by system level, you can get the mineral deposits in text form.
In the main window, in the left hand box, there is a tab called "Min Text", which has the body, mineral, and accessibility for the present system.
You can copy and paste the contents into a text file or spreadsheet.
In case anyone was curious: this works, but actually getting the text into something that Excel can work with was rather a pain - nearly as much as the OCR route, although without the worries of incorrect characters (and with the bonus of getting an entire system in one shot, rather than 42 planets at a time).

I ended up breaking the mineral amounts and accessibility out into their own rows, then manually dragging down the name of each stellar body and combining that with the mineral name - so on each column I ended up with (for example) "Asteroid #100Sorium","3,025","1". After I finally got that working, it was a short VLOOKUP to populate my chart.

TL;DR: Being able to just export the entire Minerals window remains on my wishlist.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #297 on: March 07, 2024, 05:06:45 PM »
In the Galactic Map, in the Overview tab, it would be nice to have also information about the Lagrange Points in the selected system: at least the number of them in the summary of the system bodies, and hopefully their positions in the mini system map, together with the JPs.

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #298 on: March 08, 2024, 03:11:28 AM »
Ability to delete prototypes tech (P) from Ship Design Window.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee, Sparkles546

Offline RagnarVaren

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #299 on: March 08, 2024, 07:40:03 AM »
Ability to delete prototypes tech (P) from Ship Design Window.

You can either set them to be obsolete or if you create a research project for them you can then delete them from the research tab.