Author Topic: 3e Unified Rules  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Caplin (OP)

3e Unified Rules
« on: March 25, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »
Hi All,

I'm just wondering whether anything ever came of the 3E unified rules beyond the tantalizing bits in the uTM? I realize the development was stopped at some point, but was hoping, perhaps, that some way might be found to release them now that SDS has been selling 3E itself for a while. The UTM has new sections on communications, survey and a few other things, and I was wondering how those integrated into the whole of the rules.

I've been enjoying a new game with SFA for a while, and would love to have an easier rules reference as compared to the mishmash of 3E material that exists now.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: 3e Unified Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:07:57 PM »
Hi All,

I'm just wondering whether anything ever came of the 3E unified rules beyond the tantalizing bits in the uTM? I realize the development was stopped at some point, but was hoping, perhaps, that some way might be found to release them now that SDS has been selling 3E itself for a while. The UTM has new sections on communications, survey and a few other things, and I was wondering how those integrated into the whole of the rules.

I've been enjoying a new game with SFA for a while, and would love to have an easier rules reference as compared to the mishmash of 3E material that exists now.

The Unified Rules project was 99%+ completed. I think the only outstanding item was the numbering on the contents page. I have a copy (as do about 30 other people from the third edition design group) but unfortunately I am not allowed to distribute it. Happy to send you a copy (or post on here) if you can get Marvin Lamb to agree to it.

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
Thanks, Steve. I've emailed Marvin in hopes of arranging something. :)

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 07:15:16 PM »
Well, it looks like that permission probably won't be forthcoming. I'm not interested in provoking old flame wars, but I'm still disappointed. I will muddle through with the rules as they stand, I guess.

Thanks,Steve, for all the work you did on SA. It's a great program, in service to a game I wish I'd found sooner.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:25:20 PM by Caplin »

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »
er we should have probably warned you the reaction you might have got there, sorry.
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:11:49 PM »
I wasn't expecting such an, erm, cold reception. It wasn't as if I wanted the thing for free… Ah well.