Author Topic: How does Genetic Modification work?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline blue emu (OP)

• Commander
  • b
How does Genetic Modification work?
« on: December 27, 2011, 01:02:49 PM »
Suppose that in a normal game, I want to develop a sub-race of Humans who can colonize low-gravity environments (Moons, etc). My people are usually limited to 0.3g worlds or higher. I research the first couple of -g Bio techs, enabling a -10% gravity tolerance modifier.

Now what? Can I now colonize worlds with 0.27g? Or do I need to build and operate Genetic Modifications centers? Where? Not on the destination world, presumably, because I can't COLONIZE it. On the source world for the colonists? How do I ensure that only modified colonists are embarked on my Colony Ships?

I'm confused... :(

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: How does Genetic Modification work?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »
The GMC need to be on the world that will be the source of the colonists. The new race should show up as a different selection (if I recall, it's been a while since I used those).

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: How does Genetic Modification work?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »
Well they can be done on the world to be colonized, you just need to put a few orbital habitats to hold the ambulatory biomass untransformed colonists.

You also need to design your new species through the tech design window and research it before you can start using the GMC's to convert the feedstock populace.