Author Topic: Update on Progress (Post-release)  (Read 38231 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Update on Progress (Post-release)
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »
Busy few hours :). In fact, a busy few years :)

In general, the release seems to have gone well. Many minor bugs as expected but nothing game-breaking. The only one causing me some concern at the moment is the Random Systems, Multiple NPR problem. I am still trying to track that one down. Thanks for all the bug reports.

I'll create a v1.1 either tonight or tomorrow with various bug-fixes. This will include database changes so it won't be compatible with a v1.0 save.

I expect the next week or so will be primarily bug-fixing. After that I will start adding in tool tips, hot keys and new functionality. This is only the start for C# Aurora, especially with the motorhome grounded for a while.

I'm glad its out and generally working and I can finally relax a little :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Update on Progress (Post-release)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 02:01:31 PM »
I've opened a bottle of wine (I need one), so no patch today :)

I am going to take a break and start again in the morning. Patch will probably be out tomorrow afternoon my time and it will break saves. So, don't start anything major tonight :)

BTW there is a problem with system generation in random stars games so avoid those until the patch. I'm working on a fix.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 03:56:00 AM »
Quieter day today as I actually have to work :)

I'll check the bugs thread later. Please can everyone check the bug posting guidelines before posting bugs. It is hard to find bugs without the context or the error text (not just the function number). Thanks.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10663.0

The following users thanked this post: Marski, bro918, Vizzy, joansam, Warer, Protomolecule

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 07:07:09 PM »
No immediate catastrophic bugs in v1.4 (so far) so I'm off to bed :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 11:06:49 AM »
I seem to have spent the little free time I have had today reading mod discussions, instead of bug-fixing.. Please can we avoid mod discussions on these forums so I don't get distracted due to low willpower :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »
There probably won't be a patch tonight. A combination of work and distractions has meant I haven't had much time for coding. I've fixed a few bugs in the last couple of hours but now I actually need to spend time with my family, if I plan on staying married :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 01:20:37 PM »
BTW i just had a personal message asking that I upload the code to Github in case I die. I am assuming that is a creative way of asking for the code rather than a death threat :)

I do have plans in place for that situation, but they don't involve a public release, so call off the assassins :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »
There won't be a patch tonight as I am only about 2/3rd of the way through the 1.5.1 bug thread. I should be putting out a v1.6 patch by tomorrow evening though.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 12:33:26 PM »
OK, I am going to take a break from bug-fixing and actually play Aurora, which I haven't done for over a week :)

If I see anything catastrophic I will jump on it, but otherwise I probably go back to bug-fixing tomorrow.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 02:43:33 PM »
Right, I am leaving my PC for a while so no bug-fixing in the next few hours. So much for my plans to actually play :)

Hope v1.6.3 is relatively stable in the meantime  :)

The following users thanked this post: Elouda, JacenHan, V1D0, BAGrimm, Warer, Ektor, Migi, Pedroig

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 05:23:23 PM »
I've just read that the person creating the resolution and colours mod is going to add the ability to switch on designer mode via the mod. Obviously, the resolution-related function was the thin end of the wedge (who could have guessed?). That mod will obviously cause the type of complete chaos in terms of bug reporting that was I was hoping to avoid. Therefore I will need to take a more active approach with regard to modding for future releases.

Unfortunately, while this new approach won't affect my own campaigns, it will have a few side-effects for players. The most annoying aspect from a player perspective will be that all future updates will be database updates. This will also prevent any form of player-created utility for updating previous databases to a newer version. I was really trying to avoid this step but I am not left with much choice at this stage. Its obvious from the Reddit threads that a few people are pretty much determined to ruin it for everyone else unless they get their own way.

This is the least invasive method I can use and still keep the game available for everyone.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 02:21:33 PM »
That is probably it for me tonight. No immediate game-breakers in 1.7, so food & wine await :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 06:38:08 AM »
I have converted the Mineral Search window to be culture-independent. In other words, you can use either comma or period decimal separators. It will also handle commas or periods used to separate thousands if they are used (although they don't need to be). The new function also checks for non-numeric characters and will flag to the calling function not to process the input if they exist, which will avoid the various errors caused by this in the past.

I intend to extend this to every window in the game, although that may take a while. The downside to this is that a lot of copying and pasting is going on so, despite my best efforts, I am probably going to add errors in the process of preventing errors.

Therefore, in the next version or two please watch for situations where the game is either not accepting input, or accepting it from the wrong place.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:43:00 AM by Steve Walmsley »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »
There probably won't be a v1.9 patch today as I am working on setting up a new campaign so I can do some more in-depth testing. I'll try to do the patch Mon/Tue.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 12:10:28 PM »
As you can see by the changes post, I am starting to work on new features. I've implemented the Ancient Constructs and the Aether Rifts, but I haven't yet coded the aliens that will appear through the latter. It is likely to be a while before 1.10 is out because this will require quite a lot of coding and testing. I will fix some bugs as I go as well.

I have played through the first 2-3 years of my Knights Templar campaign, but it is now hard to see how I avoid another WH40k campaign in the near future :)