Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 185662 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #570 on: February 04, 2020, 12:39:53 PM »
Could be like this:

Spinal -> Twin Spinal -> Advanced Spinal -> Advanced Twin Spinal

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #571 on: February 04, 2020, 01:30:00 PM »
I'll be honest I don't totally understand the rationale of that.  Why limit it in that way?

As other said... regular weapons are already hull mounted like a spinal weapon... the difference is that the spinal weapon runs through the ship. The only scenario where I see that you could add multiple spinal weapons to any ship is by having a size limitations on them.

I have considered adding a 'Twin Spinal' tech in the Spinal & Advanced Spinal tech line.

But are you considering spinal mount rail guns as well, or will they stay 'laser-only' for now?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #572 on: February 04, 2020, 01:46:56 PM »
From previous page:

Spinal railguns will make an appearance in C#. I just haven't decided how to implement them. Leaning toward similar rules for lasers, with higher calibre available. However, I am also considering some form of weapon that has a higher chance of shock damage.
Hey Steve, has your thinking vis-a-vis Spinal Rail Guns evolved since 2018? Since it seems we're in the final stretch before C# release and I'm starting to grow fond of the idea of Really Big Frigging Guns  :D

Yes, I still plan to come up with some form of spinal railgun, although maybe not for initial release.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #573 on: February 04, 2020, 11:53:13 PM »
I'll be honest my main basis for griping about the single-beam limit for spinals is the fact that I tend to imagine spinal weapons as things that go on really big ships, not something reserved for tiny ones (such as fighters).

I do however fully grasp the arguments against doing that for railguns since they apparantly already cannot be turreted.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #574 on: February 05, 2020, 04:32:11 AM »
Yes, I still plan to come up with some form of spinal railgun, although maybe not for initial release.

Spinal railguns would be awesome to see one day!  ;D

If you could turret railguns, then missiles would be obsolete :)

I have considered adding a 'Twin Spinal' tech in the Spinal & Advanced Spinal tech line.

Along similar lines of thought what I would love to see is a "Weapon battery" component you can design ( for all weapons including missile launchers ), which works alot like a turret but without having any ability to speed up targeting.

Basically by grouping X weapons together permanently already in ship design you trade away flexibility ( since all must be connected to a single fire-control ) and redundancy ( since they are destroyed as a single unit ), to gain survivability ( they can be armored ) and efficiency ( savings with less size and crew needed due to weapon proximity ).

The following users thanked this post: Jorgen_CAB, Viridia, BigBacon

Offline Akhillis

• Chief Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #575 on: February 05, 2020, 07:51:26 PM »
Quoting from this post http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg103849#msg103849

..any Admin Command with fleets directly attached requires a higher rank than the highest-ranked ship captain in those fleets.

Does this mean a fleet with a (full) Admiral acting as Fleet Commander from a flagship can be attached to a Commodore-level Admin Command?
The Sorium must flow

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #576 on: February 06, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »
I would think so because this is what Steve wrote about Flag Bridge in here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg101818#msg101818

A fleet that includes a ship with a flag bridge can assign a 'fleet commander' senior to the commander of the ship...

And so, putting it together with your quote, it would seem that you can have a full Admiral as Fleet commander, and then have that fleet assigned to an admin command commanded by a Commodore, as long as that ship commander is at least 2 ranks above racial minimum AND at least 1 rank below Commodore.

Only reason to do that is if you have an Admiral with really good Reaction Bonus but really crappy all other fields, making them best suited for combat command.

Offline rcj33

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #577 on: February 06, 2020, 04:56:50 PM »
Along similar lines of thought what I would love to see is a "Weapon battery" component you can design ( for all weapons including missile launchers ), which works alot like a turret but without having any ability to speed up targeting.

Basically by grouping X weapons together permanently already in ship design you trade away flexibility ( since all must be connected to a single fire-control ) and redundancy ( since they are destroyed as a single unit ), to gain survivability ( they can be armored ) and efficiency ( savings with less size and crew needed due to weapon proximity ).
IIRC this is already a “feature” for all turret-able weapon types. Just set the tracking speed of your desired battery to 0 km/s. You can even use any multiple of two and/or three weapons, since any researched turret-able weapon with 0% turret gear is eligible to be turreted!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 05:17:01 PM by rcj33 »

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #578 on: February 06, 2020, 09:12:43 PM »
He was requesting to do that to all weapons ineligible for turrets
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #579 on: February 11, 2020, 07:10:13 AM »
The last time I cruised a fleet to (0,0) -- i.e. the heart of a star -- nothing happened.  Will flying into the corona (or even the heart) of a star have any effect on ships in C# Aurora?  Is it something that's been shuffled into "interesting space terrain" and left for 2.0?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #580 on: February 11, 2020, 10:32:06 AM »
The last time I cruised a fleet to (0,0) -- i.e. the heart of a star -- nothing happened.  Will flying into the corona (or even the heart) of a star have any effect on ships in C# Aurora?  Is it something that's been shuffled into "interesting space terrain" and left for 2.0?

For the moment, no impact. Same with planets and other bodies. The assumption is that ships fly above or below them. Having tactical terrain would complicate combat and the AI would need to add checks to every planned course. I'm not convinced the game play would benefit from the extra micromanagement and slightly lower performance.

Offline linkg

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • l
« Reply #581 on: February 14, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
Will this version support 1366x768 screen resolutions?
This is the biggest problem I have at the moment.
I wish I could play on my notebook.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #582 on: February 15, 2020, 06:03:34 AM »

At launch it will require 1440 x 900. I may have a look at smaller windows at some point, but probably not quickly. Because of the amount of information that is displayed, Aurora isn't well suited to smaller windows.  In fact, if anything I am heading the other way For example, the ship class window has a Wide Mode option, which changes it to 1850 x 900 and allows you to see more information. I play on two monitors with 3440 x 1440 and 2760  x 1440.

On option might be a cheap, external monitor for the notebook.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #583 on: February 15, 2020, 08:44:44 PM »

It depends heavily on the specifics of the device but if you have a dedicated GPU in your notebook take a look into DSR/VSR to simulate a higher resolution and then have it downsampled to whatever your display resolution is. (DSR for Nvidia GPUs, VSR for AMD GPUs)

However even if you have a dedicated GPU there's a good chance you have a Intel CPU with a iGPU and it will be the CPU (and as such the Intel iGPU) that's connected directly to the display rather than the dedicated GPU so DSR/VSR won't be a option, in which case it may be worth looking into 3rd party downsampling software solutions, there's a few out there.

I believe if you have a AMD CPU regardless to if you have a dedicated GPU or are using a iGPU on board the CPU chip then VSR should be available to you. So it's only if you're using a Intel CPU that you would run into issues and need to find 3rd party software work arounds as I don't believe Intel have yet to bother offering the functionality (And show no interest in ever doing so)

Most applications have zero issues with downsampling higher resolutions... Nvidias solution is a bit more temperamental than AMDs when using it outside of fullscreen applications from my experience switching between the two at various points, as Nvidia don't officially recommend DSR be used for desktop/windowed use.

How Aurora would react to having 'fake resolutions' fed to it that are actually downsampled to native resolution would certainly be something interesting for Steve to look into before C# releases if he hasn't already though.... as in terms of what the software thinks, it will think you're using whatever resolution you have DSR/VSR/Misc set to, as even the OS thinks you're running at say 1440p when actually it's 1440p downsampled to 720p or similar.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:52:49 PM by Tikigod »
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Ranged66

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #584 on: February 18, 2020, 03:40:18 AM »
Will mass driver packets be routed through available LPs in huge systems, instead of taking the multi-year 0.2ly route?