Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 186103 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #585 on: February 18, 2020, 04:08:10 AM »
Will mass driver packets be routed through available LPs in huge systems, instead of taking the multi-year 0.2ly route?

I hope not, and given that they are not ships and have no engines I don't see how they could take advantage of LaGrange jumping anyway.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #586 on: February 18, 2020, 07:39:39 AM »
Accelerator packages will take the long route. Yes, that takes a long time.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #587 on: February 18, 2020, 03:11:19 PM »
Will mass driver packets be routed through available LPs in huge systems, instead of taking the multi-year 0.2ly route?

They won't use LG points. Long distances will require ships.

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #588 on: February 21, 2020, 12:18:30 PM »
idk if this is a question that can become a suggestion or a suggestion that might be jsut a question about colony mechanics but

what's going to happen if you grant independence to every colony of the empire? do you keep control of whatever navy is in space? can you still use ally's maintenance facilities to resupply and refuel?

I ask because I was thinking at some scenario I used to play in distant world where I automated everything and just took a supercapital around discovering anomalies and generally trekking space

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #589 on: February 24, 2020, 08:20:31 AM »
How is determined the CMC auto created military force? Can the player has any control on it, like there is a budget and you can create a template used for these installations?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #590 on: February 24, 2020, 12:52:25 PM »
How is determined the CMC auto created military force? Can the player has any control on it, like there is a budget and you can create a template used for these installations?

At the moment, no.  The CMC 'Garrison Battalion' is pre-defined, but it shouldn't be too difficult for Steve to draw it from the 'ground forces design philosophy' pool. . . or even pre-define a dozen or so options and mix & match.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2020, 01:02:50 PM »

At the moment, no.  The CMC 'Garrison Battalion' is pre-defined, but it shouldn't be too difficult for Steve to draw it from the 'ground forces design philosophy' pool. . . or even pre-define a dozen or so options and mix & match.

There is a template for CMC garrison forces which includes some random elements. Once the template is set for a particular race, it stays the same. Different races may have different CMC forces though based on that same original randomised template.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #592 on: February 24, 2020, 04:57:47 PM »
Does the template adjust with improvements of technology? That is, does the Personal Weapon or armour rating upgrade as weapons and armour technology improve?

And does the template draw from the empire's list of ground weapons which have to be developed by the empire, or does it simply always have the right weapons researched?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #593 on: February 25, 2020, 02:57:14 AM »
Does the template adjust with improvements of technology? That is, does the Personal Weapon or armour rating upgrade as weapons and armour technology improve?

And does the template draw from the empire's list of ground weapons which have to be developed by the empire, or does it simply always have the right weapons researched?

Yes, it updates with tech and yes it only uses what is available to the Empire.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #594 on: February 25, 2020, 06:05:26 AM »
Really minor thing, but will the C# version support any degree of UI customisation for text colour, window background colour etc?

Reason I ask is because I can see the yellow text on dark blue background used across the various windows kind of straining the eyes after prolonged sessions.... I often play Aurora to unwind after a late night shift at work into the early hours and especially at night I can see the constant yellow on blue being a bit of a eye strain. (Joys of getting oldish heh)

I suppose a second part of this may be how the UI text scales across larger resolution displays, perhaps it won't be as bad as some of the recent screenshots suggest it may be on a 4k display.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:08:18 AM by Tikigod »
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #595 on: February 25, 2020, 06:07:42 AM »
Really minor thing, but will the C# version support any degree of UI customisation for text colour, window background colour etc?

Reason I ask is because I can see the light blue background used across the various windows kind of burning my eyes after prolonged sessions.... I often play Aurora to unwind after a late night shift at work into the early hours and especially at night I can see the constant blue being a bit of a eye strain. (Joys of getting oldish heh)

Not on launch but I will probably add it.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5, DIT_grue, Tikigod, BigBacon

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #596 on: February 25, 2020, 06:11:38 AM »

Reason I ask is because I can see the light blue background used across the various windows kind of burning my eyes after prolonged sessions.... I often play Aurora to unwind after a late night shift at work into the early hours and especially at night I can see the constant blue being a bit of a eye strain. (Joys of getting oldish heh)

Cool.

It may not be a actual problem that needs addressing once the actual C# release is out if the UI scales reasonably decently on larger 4k displays, it's something more coming from looking at screenshots like:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg119044#msg119044
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg118725#msg118725

Which looking at everything just blurs together at a glance and requires focusing the eyes to read the list of text.... could just be a side effect of capturing part of a window taken from the game running at a entirely different resolution.
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #597 on: February 25, 2020, 08:35:58 AM »

Cool.

It may not be a actual problem that needs addressing once the actual C# release is out if the UI scales reasonably decently on larger 4k displays, it's something more coming from looking at screenshots like:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg119044#msg119044
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg118725#msg118725

Which looking at everything just blurs together at a glance and requires focusing the eyes to read the list of text.... could just be a side effect of capturing part of a window taken from the game running at a entirely different resolution.

The screenshots seem much more blurry than the actual text. I don't know why I get that effect.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #598 on: February 25, 2020, 11:24:13 AM »
They aren't blurry to me. Could it be a monitor issue?

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #599 on: February 25, 2020, 01:08:17 PM »
They aren't blurry to me. Could it be a monitor issue?

Would vary depending on display size and resolution yes.

I'd guess the screenshot factor is probably image compression being performed on upload, depending on the size of the display and resolution being used then you'll notice the side effects of such compression to differing degrees.

1080p on a 5" display would make things look sharper than 4k on a 90" display to use a extreme disparity scenario. :p
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:09:48 PM by Tikigod »