Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 185554 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #780 on: April 11, 2020, 05:24:20 AM »
I had a question about the fleet manager.
Are there alternative methods of  adding ships to a fleet or sorting fleets for admin commands besides drag and drop?

The join fleet and sub-divide fleet and form new fleet and similar orders should all still be there for individual issue.  I believe "change parent fleet" is still a drop-down, so maybe not that great an option for a screen reader.

You may need to use SpaceMaster on the Fleet Orders or Individual Unit Details window and change the current fleet assignment of a ship.

The following users thanked this post: hadi

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #781 on: April 11, 2020, 05:29:52 AM »
In VB6 if i am building something and the end date is for example 3 of August and the current time is 2 of August and i run 1 day increment, the end date is now 4 of August, and the delay continues forever if i keep trying 1 day increments, in order to complete the building i need to do a 5 day increment, this will be fixed in the C# version?

No, because this is not a bug.

The default production cycle is (almost) 5 days -- actually 400,000 seconds.  The production cycle code is only called if the time advance exceeds this amount.  (The code then uses the actual number of elapsed seconds since the last production cycle, thus no progress is lost.)

If it is absolutely critical to your empire that an item finish on the date in question, then run your one day advances earlier and do a five-day advance on July 29 (July only has 30 days in Aurora). . . late on July 29, because you don't want to come up a few hours short.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:31:48 AM by Father Tim »

The following users thanked this post: Yesus

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #782 on: April 11, 2020, 05:42:55 AM »
Are there alternative methods of  adding ships to a fleet or sorting fleets for admin commands besides drag and drop?

There are orders to join fleets but the drag and drop is used for manual transfers.

EDIT: Just realised that was a screen reader question. I hadn't considered that aspect. Post-release I will look at some non-drag drop options. This affects a few windows, not just Naval Organization.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:45:02 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #783 on: April 11, 2020, 05:55:49 AM »
Yesus, you can also change the production cycle length from the Game Menu. As Father Tim said, the default is 400 000 seconds. I don't recommend dropping it to 86 400 seconds (24 hours) as I recall that has caused some issues but I've done games with 259 200 seconds (72 hours, 3 days) without any problems. I've also played it set at 432 000 seconds (exactly 5 days) and running 1-day increments works well for both.

The following users thanked this post: Protomolecule, Yesus

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #784 on: April 11, 2020, 06:12:37 AM »
Yesus, you can also change the production cycle length from the Game Menu. As Father Tim said, the default is 400 000 seconds. I don't recommend dropping it to 86 400 seconds (24 hours) as I recall that has caused some issues but I've done games with 259 200 seconds (72 hours, 3 days) without any problems. I've also played it set at 432 000 seconds (exactly 5 days) and running 1-day increments works well for both.

Do you recall the issues exactly? I remember reading an AAR where the player had lowered the cycle to about three hours so that land battles would play out faster, since they mostly took place on small bodies like comets or on small moons meant to have only one colony.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #785 on: April 11, 2020, 06:15:44 AM »

Do you recall the issues exactly? I remember reading an AAR where the player had lowered the cycle to about three hours so that land battles would play out faster, since they mostly took place on small bodies like comets or on small moons meant to have only one colony.

For most activities, the length of the production cycle is considered. So shorter cycles mean less production, etc. However, for some activities it happened once per cycle, so faster cycles changed the rate at which that activity happened. I think I have avoided that for C# but widespread use should prove that either way.

The following users thanked this post: Tree

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #786 on: April 11, 2020, 06:19:54 AM »
I vaguely recall that the production cycle didn't actually run properly - some things were not done - but it was so long ago that it might have been a pre-7 version. I don't have Aurora installed at the moment so I can't test.

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #787 on: April 11, 2020, 06:23:20 AM »

There are orders to join fleets but the drag and drop is used for manual transfers.

EDIT: Just realised that was a screen reader question. I hadn't considered that aspect. Post-release I will look at some non-drag drop options. This affects a few windows, not just Naval Organization.
Thanks! I believe with join fleet orders i still would be able to form basic fleets and a navy structure till then.
Do you know of any other important windows that necessarily require drag and drop, so while i'm tinkering with the release i could ask for sighted assistance in those windows?
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

Offline Chris Foster

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #788 on: April 11, 2020, 06:40:42 AM »
On the theme of fleet organisation, and the fact ive never used it in VB6.  Will there be updated guides to the wiki for C# about fleet organisation and such?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #789 on: April 11, 2020, 07:13:48 AM »
On the theme of fleet organisation, and the fact ive never used it in VB6.  Will there be updated guides to the wiki for C# about fleet organisation and such?

I don't actually edit the wiki. That is all done by players.

Fleet org in C# should be a LOT more intuitive than VB6.

The following users thanked this post: Impassive, Chris Foster

Offline Impassive

• Gold Supporter
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #790 on: April 11, 2020, 07:16:49 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10097. msg120791#msg120791 date=1586607228
Quote from: Chris Foster link=topic=10097. msg120790#msg120790 date=1586605242
On the theme of fleet organisation, and the fact ive never used it in VB6.   Will there be updated guides to the wiki for C# about fleet organisation and such?

I don't actually edit the wiki.  That is all done by players.

Fleet org in C# should be a LOT more intuitive than VB6.

This is one of the features I'm very excited for as it allows for a very robust hierarchy and a great tool to keep track of all the fleets.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #791 on: April 11, 2020, 07:48:59 AM »
Do you know of any other important windows that necessarily require drag and drop, so while i'm tinkering with the release i could ask for sighted assistance in those windows?

I assume you're familiar with the App "Be My Eyes"?   I bet there's folks on this board who'd help in a similar fashion.

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #792 on: April 11, 2020, 10:02:47 AM »

I assume you're familiar with the App "Be My Eyes"?   I bet there's folks on this board who'd help in a similar fashion.
Yeah, If what i wanted to do was simple enough i guess, bunch of friendly people on that platform. also once aurora is released i'll make a dedicated topic for myself and other screen reader users and can ask for help from Steve and others there.
Just really waiting for the release to see which parts are going to be very tough to work with, I do hope the events window is back, I 100% rely on that one to play the game......

edit: Now that i think about it, i think the ship designer may have been also effected by drag and drop, but not sure. on vb 6 you could just click on the modules and parts and they would transfer around.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:09:25 AM by hadi »
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #793 on: April 12, 2020, 07:44:19 AM »
What's the function of the last two buttons on the controls panel? The blue orb and the red/green button.

Offline Demonides

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #794 on: April 12, 2020, 07:46:42 AM »
How to create "conventional new game"