Author Topic: Hydrosphere  (Read 1768 times)

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Hydrosphere
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:50:38 AM »
If I remember correctly the absence of a hydrosphere makes no difference to a planets colony cost. If I wish to add a hydrosphere is there an option? I can add water, but the environmental control screen says add gas. The last thing I want to do is just add water vapour and if I have interpreted the screen correctly this is my only option or do you know different? Does adding water not add it to the atmosphere?

I would like to have the option to add liquid water, an abstract representation of crashing water rich asteroids or comets into a planet to provide the hydrosphere, transforming a desert planet into a paradise – so long as you are not under the asteroid when it hits! ;D

Regards
IanD

Offline bobterrius

• Petty Officer
  • b
Re: Hydrosphere
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:19:13 PM »
What is the problem with adding water vapor into the atmosphery or water liquid on the ground ?

At the end, if you are in the good temperature range, you will have rain and finally water on the planet.  No?

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:29:03 AM »
What is the problem with adding water vapor into the atmosphery or water liquid on the ground ?

Adding water vapour to the atmosphere will at the least increase the atmospheric pressure, which can be a bad thing especially if it moves the atmospheric pressure outside of your race's tolerance. It may also act as a greenhouse gas - can any one clarify.

Does adding water not add it to the atmosphere?
Tried it and it does as suspected introduce water vapour into the atmosphere increasing the atmospheric pressure. Whereas I would like to add liquid water.

Regards
IanD

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
Thinking of which, it is possible to make a planet with a water-atmosphere that that has no hydrosphere.  ;)

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
And it's not unusual to see a planet with a 'vapor' hydrosphere that has no water vapor in its atmosphere.