Author Topic: PDC Weaponary  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Gump (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
PDC Weaponary
« on: December 21, 2013, 06:38:36 AM »
I know that some weapons will work firing through an atmosphere,and some won't.  Could someone kindly tell me which will and won't?

In addition, I am thinking of placing PDCs on Luna to offer additional protection to Earth. 
With there no atmosphere I'd assume that all weapons can fire into space with no penalties.  If I added any gases would the effectiveness of any weaponary drop to zero immediatley, or drop off as the gases increase?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: PDC Weaponary
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:02:44 AM »
Mesons work through atmosphere, as far as i know, all other beams dont.
The other questions I would like to know myself.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
All beam weapons work in a vacuum.  Only Mesons will work through any thickness of atmosphere.  All other beam weapons lose power as the atmosphere gets denser on a linear scale with 1 atmosphere pressure being the point where beam weapons lose 100% power.  Any beam weapon which has its damage reduced below 1 does no damage at all.  A simple example would be a 10cm laser.  At .33 atmosphere pressure it would do a max of 2 points of damage at point blank range and it's total range would be reduced by 1/3.  At .67 atmosphere pressure it would only be doing 1 point of damage and it's total range would be down to 1/3 of original (reduced by 2/3)  If the atmospheric pressure was .8 then the laser would not penetrate the atmosphere at all (1/5 damage from 3 max is .6 damage).  This does work in both directions so firing from a planet is just as hard as firing at a planet as well.  As noted above Mesons ignore the effects of atmosphere completely.  Also there may still be a partial bug that allows point defense beam weapons to work without checking the atmosphere.  It may have been removed, or Steve might not have bothered to change it. 

In addition missiles work just fine through any atmosphere which is why they are the most common defense systems on a planet.

Brian

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »
Do kinetic weapons (gauss/rails) count as "beams" for the purposes of this penalty?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »
Do kinetic weapons (gauss/rails) count as "beams" for the purposes of this penalty?

Yes.