Author Topic: Brand new and have some questions please  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Antmf (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
Brand new and have some questions please
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:31:51 AM »
Hiya all, First off allow me to introduce myself.  I am a man who LOVES deep games.  Played Dwarf Fortress and loved it for its complexity.  Now I heard about this game and I hear it is like DF in space.  Well, I can not wait to start playing.  So here are my questions. 

1-What version do I download and where is best place to get it?

2- Are there any mods or addons that I need to get? For example DF has the lazy noob pack that comes with mods already installed making it easier to use for the noob like me lol.

3- Any what is best way or easiest way to start learning this game so I can dive in and start playing?

4- And last but not least how deep is this game and is the learning curve really really bad? And is this really like DF in space where you are building and colonizing etc? How does this game compare to Distant Worlds which I have been playing a lot of and really enjoy it, although I am no expert lol.  Thanks all :)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Brand new and have some questions please
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:44:47 AM »
Welcome :)

1. The current version is 6.3, you get it here. As far as I know, this is the only official place to get Aurora.

2. No mods... Add-ons are in the Installation forum. There is a Portable release, and a game backup utility.

3. Read the forums, the fiction especially. And the wiki. The Academy forum has a lot of beginner questions.

4. I personally find Aurora much easier than DF. I'm sure some DF people will disagree. Both have a brick wall curve though. Aurora allows you to customize your technology completely. Aurora is about exploring and exploiting other planets. So you will colonize, build fleets and go to war with those pesky natives inhabiting your new world ;)

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »
Play both DF and Aurora.  Agree about the brick wall.  Just like DF your first attempts at glory will end in disaster.  Although I admit I find DF's disasters more amusing.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:42:47 PM »
I learned by reading Steves NATO vs Soviet Union campaign along with some tutorial info from this website. I have also watched some of Alfapiomega's youtube series and would recommend that for new people getting into the game. His thread for that is http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,6289.0.html

-Five

Offline Minarin

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:45:11 AM »
I second the Alfapiomega's youtube series. I've learnt a lot from it.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 02:01:52 PM »
I learned by reading fiction and seeing what was possible (though people add details to their fiction that aurora cannot actually simulate...yet)
and then trying to just dive right in and start playing.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound