Author Topic: Using A Hyper Drive  (Read 2453 times)

Offline WHCnelson (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
Using A Hyper Drive
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »
I have started a new campaign and my Geo and Grav Survey vessels all have Hyper-drive...  But, I am not sure
how it actually workds...  I have a ship outside the Hyperlimit at a waypoint...  then entering hyper to another waypoint on the oppiste
side of the sytem...   But, I keep getting an overflow type error...  What am I doing wrong???

Thanks

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
Re: Using A Hyper Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
In the F3 system map you can tell it to show you the hyper limit.  It will be a colored circular area around the star, and if there are multiple stars there will multiple (sometimes overlapping) colored areas.  The area outside that limit is where hyper drives work.  You cannot target a destination where some portion of your path takes you through a hyper limit and stay in hyperdrive, otherwise the AI takes you out of hyperdrive.  Set waypoints that are outside the limit.  Even if you have to take a long detour, it's still much faster than going through the hyper limit area.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:11 PM »
Quote from: "WHCnelson"
I have started a new campaign and my Geo and Grav Survey vessels all have Hyper-drive...  But, I am not sure
how it actually workds...  I have a ship outside the Hyperlimit at a waypoint...  then entering hyper to another waypoint on the oppiste
side of the sytem...   But, I keep getting an overflow type error...  What am I doing wrong???

Let's say you're near waypoint 1 (which is outside the hyper limit) and you want to go to waypoint 2 (the path to which doesn't cross the limit, i.e. the simple case), and which is a looooooong way away.  What I suspect you're doing is selecting waypoint 2 on the orders screen, and giving an "enter hyper" command.  What this does is tell the ship to move to waypoint 2 using whatever (presumably non-hyper) drive mode the ship is currently in, then when it gets to waypoint 2 it should switch to hyper mode.  What you should do is to give an "enter hyper" order at waypoint 1, and a "leave hyper" order at waypoint 2.  The overflows in this scenario are because it'll take forever to make the trip outside of hyper.

Just a guess....

John

Offline WHCnelson (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »
I actually move to WP1 which is outside the Hyperlimit and Enter Hyper at WP1 and Leave Hyper at WP2 and I get an Error Message:

ERROR in ExecuteOrders
ERROR 6 was generated by Aurora Overflow
Please report to Http://aurora.---.org/viewforum etc etc...

Any help is appriciated...

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
Will civvies make use of LP points?

Offline Elmo

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:37:22 AM »
Quote from: "WHCnelson"
I actually move to WP1 which is outside the Hyperlimit and Enter Hyper at WP1 and Leave Hyper at WP2 and I get an Error Message:

ERROR in ExecuteOrders
ERROR 6 was generated by Aurora Overflow
Please report to Http://aurora.---.org/viewforum etc etc...

Any help is appriciated...

Be sure to post that in the bug thread if you haven't already.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 02:47:53 PM »
Quote from: "mrwigggles"
Will civvies make use of LP points?

Yes, unless they're currently suffering from the intermittent bug that crops up and stops them.  Generally the latter case is only discovered when the ship runs out of fuel or is spotted someplace it shouldn't be.

Offline WCG

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • W
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 08:32:39 PM »
Oops! I thought "hyperdrive" was an engine that could make a jump. Apparently not, since my brand-new ship can't transit to a new system. OK, I guess I needed a "jump engine." So a hyperdrive just works within a system,... yeah, all right. And there's the checkoff on the System Map which lets me see the hyperdrive limit.

Hmm,... this might have been handy for putting mines on Charon. My slow freighters take a LONG time to make that trip! I guess I should have done a search for "hyperdrive" when I started this game.

But I do have another question: What's an LP point? I've seen one - or rather two - in another system, and I'm guessing that it might be similar to a jump point, but just permitting travel between those two points? Is that correct? And if so, can I assume that it also requires a jump engine?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »
Quote from: "WCG"
Oops! I thought "hyperdrive" was an engine that could make a jump. Apparently not, since my brand-new ship can't transit to a new system. OK, I guess I needed a "jump engine." So a hyperdrive just works within a system,... yeah, all right. And there's the checkoff on the System Map which lets me see the hyperdrive limit.

Hmm,... this might have been handy for putting mines on Charon. My slow freighters take a LONG time to make that trip! I guess I should have done a search for "hyperdrive" when I started this game.

But I do have another question: What's an LP point? I've seen one - or rather two - in another system, and I'm guessing that it might be similar to a jump point, but just permitting travel between those two points? Is that correct? And if so, can I assume that it also requires a jump engine?
LPs are Lagrange points and are intra-system jump points. You can jump from any LP to any other LP in the same system and you DON'T need a jump engine. Very useful for systems with more than one star that have a LP in each solar system.

Steve