Author Topic: Population Growth  (Read 1883 times)

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Population Growth
« on: April 05, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »
So, I'm around 16 years into my current game, and I got a thing that bugs me:
My populace breeds like rabbits.
I started out with 1 billion, and 16 years later, I'm at 1.3 Billions, + roughly 100m spread over Mars, Luna, Mercury and Titan.
I mean, that essentially means the populace doubles 45 years. I can hardly imagine.... :shock:

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Population Growth
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
So, I'm around 16 years into my current game, and I got a thing that bugs me:
My populace breeds like rabbits.
I started out with 1 billion, and 16 years later, I'm at 1.3 Billions, + roughly 100m spread over Mars, Luna, Mercury and Titan.
I mean, that essentially means the populace doubles 45 years. I can hardly imagine.... :shock:
Actually well within the normal population growth rate

The world's current (overall as well as natural) growth rate is about 1.14%, representing a doubling time of 61 years. We can expect the world's population of 6.5 billion to become 13 billion by 2067 if current growth continues. The world's growth rate peaked in the 1960s at 2% and a doubling time of 35 years.

Offline UnLimiTeD (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »
Which is a decrease of 40% in 50 years, and should continue that way as living becomes easier.
Atleast on the home planet, on colonies with harsh conditions and not much to do, I can understand growth rates of over 10%

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
Which is a decrease of 40% in 50 years, and should continue that way as living becomes easier.
Atleast on the home planet, on colonies with harsh conditions and not much to do, I can understand growth rates of over 10%
There is no particualar reason to beleive that. The official estimates vary between an increase in population growth rate , to the continued decline you expect. I personally think it will continue at the current rate or increase as the level off in the 1st world has pretty much finished while the growth rate in the developing world will increase as medical provision increases survival rate more rapidly than cultural change cuts down the birth rate but that's OT.
I think it does indicate that the population growth rate in the game is credible even leaving out the general acceleration of growth, tech progression etc typical of these types of games

Offline rmcrowe

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 06:12:52 PM »
And some local populations were growing a lot faster than the average.  ON one Pacific island I am familiar with, (Roman Catholic, large family tradition), the growth rate was at least 4% a year, and I knew one family with 20 kids under the age of 21.

robert