Author Topic: Comments Thread  (Read 15841 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Comments Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2020, 11:39:00 AM »
Awesome!  But on the Leander class, shouldn't the sensor line read (5,5,0,0) if the ELINT counts as EM5?

Very good spot. Yes, it should. I'll fix that bug.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2020, 05:49:57 AM »
That's some Cold War you got going out there Steve, all that's missing is Turkey Missile Crisis: Aurora Boogaloo and you're all set for mother of all showdowns.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »
I'm not sure whether to hope to see everything go up in nuclear fire, or to see Steve somehow manage to keep a fragile peace together because the new NPRs and new diplomacy system actually allow that.

Probably somewhere in the middle, where two or three factions form and go after each other but leave intra-faction warfare for later. That would be awesome.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2020, 05:31:55 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley
29th December 1893
As diplomacy will be even more important in the coming months and years, a small diplomatic station, Babylon One, has been constructed in Earth orbit.

"A final refuge for dreams... and our last, best hope for peace."

AI: Target the Babylon One first!

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2020, 07:41:32 AM »

With the end of the non-aggression pact only two weeks away, the British government decides to begin withdrawing installations and forces from Alpha Centauri. While there are numerous suitable mining sites, especially at Roanoke, the large number of warships in close proximity makes this a very dangerous system.

Ah yes, Operation Croatoan

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2020, 08:38:29 AM »
So, aside from the Solarian powers, things have been rather quiet in this universe - is that on purpose, or have the rolls just not given us any alien encounters yet?

Also, since we have yet to see them in any of your games so far... are we actually sure that the generation code for the Orks is working?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2020, 09:05:19 AM »
So, aside from the Solarian powers, things have been rather quiet in this universe - is that on purpose, or have the rolls just not given us any alien encounters yet?

Also, since we have yet to see them in any of your games so far... are we actually sure that the generation code for the Orks is working?

No action so far, although that was very likely given the truce was in effect.

C# has much lower generation chances for spoilers in first 10-20 systems.

Orks not appeared yet but due to lack of suitable planets rather than RNG issues. I may increase their environmental tolerances (again) :)

Offline Protomolecule

• Leading Rate
  • P
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2020, 09:00:46 AM »
Tensions do seem to be rising.  Im rather worried about the apparent battleship imbalance.
I really do love reading these AARs, keep it up Steve!

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2020, 10:02:02 AM »
I wonder when the NPRs will be staking claims  ;D

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2020, 10:32:38 AM »
Aeolis will blow up any moment now, I'm sure of it!  ;D

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2020, 10:43:53 AM »
Yes interesting progress. Given the limited number of available routes out of Sol it looks like the NPRs are not putting too much value on expansion options otherwise I would have thought they would be against claims that create more bottle necks.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2020, 10:46:37 AM »
Aeolis will blow up any moment now, I'm sure of it!  ;D

That is the one that worries me - plus the Jovian have several small colonies in Thebes so a claim from them on that system is likely to be a matter of time. I don't want to be cut off from my colonies - although I might be able to sneak through Aeolis without being spotted :)

This is adding a completely new dimension as I am creating colonies in systems purely for territorial claims and watching out for signs of potential NPR claims. In fact, I am seriously considering building actual patrol craft - fuel efficient with good sensors and designed to travel through lots of systems and monitor what is happening.

I still need to play through the situations when the NPRs start claiming systems, but I am encouraged by the game play so far, plus I will keep adding extra elements to Diplomacy post-release.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2020, 10:48:26 AM »
Yes interesting progress. Given the limited number of available routes out of Sol it looks like the NPRs are not putting too much value on expansion options otherwise I would have thought they would be against claims that create more bottle necks.

They are checking on bottlenecks that cut them off from systems of value. When I claimed Sigma Draconis, the NPRs had nothing of value beyond that system.

Longer term I might add a consideration simply on number of systems cut-off, regardless of value.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2020, 12:52:09 AM »

They are checking on bottlenecks that cut them off from systems of value. When I claimed Sigma Draconis, the NPRs had nothing of value beyond that system.

Longer term I might add a consideration simply on number of systems cut-off, regardless of value.

(Stating the obvious, but to put it on the screen: ) Of course, a simple check on the absolute number of known systems effectively claimed because the only known access is through a claimed system, while it would alter the perceived magnitude of what the claimant is demanding, doesn't really capture the threat aspect of what is given up in acceding to the claim. Possibly percentage of explored space, or of discovered jump chains that are believed to be open? *shrugs* Or maybe it's simply that when there are few known options for exploration (below some threshold) each is valued just for that, which would fit into the existing code rather than needing a significant addition. Might be affected by the number of empires known to be competing for them, too.

Offline amschnei

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2020, 09:43:36 AM »
I'm sorta confused why "systems cut off" should be an issue for the A. I.

Unless I'm missing something, which I may well be, at this point in the game, and indeed realistically most of the game*, number of systems in an arm is pretty much directly proportional to the number of exploration ships exploring that particular arm.  If they are cut off from an arm that has a number of systems but none yet of interest to them, they can simply redouble their efforts to uncover territory down the arms they do control.

*Granted maybe with the increased functionality in C# positioning yourself for late-game when the galaxy is well explored may be a more legitimate concern, IDK.