Author Topic: Getting back into Aurora (probably)  (Read 3533 times)

Offline canshow (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • c
Getting back into Aurora (probably)
« on: August 10, 2015, 09:42:41 PM »
I had quit playing aurora around 2 years ago because of some unknown reason.
A friend just reminded me about this game 30 minutes. 

I kind of want to dink myself in the head for forgetting entirely about Aurora. 

So, I guess just a general question, but have there been any noticeable changes since v6. 20? Or is it just all bug-fixing?
Hopefully all of that college drinking during my hiatus will make this game feel fresh ;p

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Getting back into Aurora (probably)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:31:52 PM »
Check here and here for the recent changes.

6.50 (not out yet) will be a pretty big revision, adding NPR fighters among other things, the current patch notes are here

Offline canshow (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
So NPR battles in undiscovered systems aren't going to affect player turns in the next patch apparently?

Is there any time estimate on that patch?

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 04:06:22 AM »
There pretty much never is.  Steve is working on a very large game which is testing some stuff for 6.5 ... I would say it's probably relatively close, but it seems to me these things usually work on a 'when he thinks it's ready' basis.

Edit:  I should mention that, if it was me and the sensor thing mattered to me(if you want to use NPRs it probably should matter a lot) I'd say you are better off waiting.  It's hard to wait, but it would really suck to just nicely get into a new game and then have it released with a feature that makes it a lot better.   
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:42:35 AM by Bryan Swartz »

Offline canshow (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:47:43 PM »
Doesn't really matter to me, unless the patch won't get integrated and I will need to start a new game. . .

Quick question though, is shooting my civ ships the only way to make them stop consuming my fuel? And will my fuel efficiency techs carry over to the civilian sector when they make new ships?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
civ ships don't eat your fuel, and yes 6.5 will be a database patch requiring new games.

Offline canshow (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 06:13:49 PM »
Quote from: TheDeadlyShoe link=topic=7866. msg80251#msg80251 date=1440025235
yes 6. 5 will be a database patch requiring new games.
Oh. . .

OH!

Well crap. 

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 06:04:36 AM »
So NPR battles in undiscovered systems aren't going to affect player turns in the next patch apparently?

Is there any time estimate on that patch?

If I were you I would NOT wait.  Steve has had very limited bandwidth for Aurora for the last few years; I could easily see 6.5 taking another 4-6 months to come out.  On the other hand, it could come out 2 weeks from now :)

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 04:31:13 AM »
If I were you I would NOT wait.  Steve has had very limited bandwidth for Aurora for the last few years; I could easily see 6.5 taking another 4-6 months to come out.  On the other hand, it could come out 2 weeks from now :)

John

Good advice. I hope I can release something in a few weeks but real life usually interferes with my Aurora plans :)

Offline canshow (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 11:53:33 AM »
Np. Even though I'm about to rip my hair out because of endless 1 day turn increments.

Anyway to speed up Aurora processing time outside of game, like making use of multi core threading and etc?

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »
Anyway to speed up Aurora processing time outside of game, like making use of multi core threading and etc?

Keep in ind that Aurora is written in VB6. Multi-Threading and other modern stuff is simply not possible.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 12:17:40 PM »
Keep in ind that Aurora is written in VB6. Multi-Threading and other modern stuff is simply not possible.

Very true. VB6 is an 18-year old language. It isn't even aware of mouse-wheels :)

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »
I am not familiar with software and understand you are reticent about opening up your code. But I had an odd idea. would it be possible to contract out a conversion from VB6 to a more modern language that you are familiar with, (bugs and all) (except hyperdrive needs to work  :) ) and thereby maintaining control of the code. I wouldn't begin to know how difficult it would be or how much it would cost, maybe a kickstarter project? Just  a thought.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 04:58:43 PM »
I am not familiar with software and understand you are reticent about opening up your code. But I had an odd idea. would it be possible to contract out a conversion from VB6 to a more modern language that you are familiar with, (bugs and all) (except hyperdrive needs to work  :) ) and thereby maintaining control of the code. I wouldn't begin to know how difficult it would be or how much it would cost, maybe a kickstarter project? Just  a thought.

I know C#, C++ and I have been learning Java lately as well. In fact, 20+ years ago my day job was C++ programmer (on Windows 3.1 :) ). The problem is that Aurora is huge in terms of the code base and rewriting in C# would take a LOT of effort. The upside would be nicer graphics and faster execution. The downsides would be that I would have to maintain enthusiasm for that effort, and I know from experience that staying enthusiastic while replicating something I already have is very difficult, plus I would be missing out on playing and updating the current version. Once you take into account that graphics have never been the reason why anyone (including me) plays Aurora then it comes down to speed.

If you look at the potential speed increase vs. the total amount of time it would take programming to achieve that speed increase, then in the long-term I would play a lot more Aurora if I stuck with the current version :)

Offline canshow (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 12:25:26 AM »
I am sure nobody is playing Aurora for the graphics, Steve  :). But yeah. I understand your position.

If you don't mind my asking, how many lines of code does Aurora have going for it?