Author Topic: VB.NET?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
VB.NET?
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:15:47 PM »
I did a search on VB.NET and nothing came up, so if this was asked before, I apologize.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if Steve ever considered moving to VB.NET from VB6? That would solve some problems like the mouse scroll wheel.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: VB.NET?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
Quote from: "AndonSage"
I did a search on VB.NET and nothing came up, so if this was asked before, I apologize.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if Steve ever considered moving to VB.NET from VB6? That would solve some problems like the mouse scroll wheel.

Yes, we've had the .NET discussion (it might even be near the beginning of the current official suggestions thread).  And, IIRC, there's a whole thread (or fragment thereof) on the mouse scroll wheel issue somewhere.

John

PS - I've noticed some of the more recent users starting a lot of new threads in suggestions and mechanics in the last week or so.  There are several places on the board (such as the "where should I post" FAQ) where it is explained that suggestions should be made in the official suggestions thread (rather than by starting a new thread), as this is the place that Steve uses as his "filing cabinet".  More recently, that thread got flooded with a lot of OT discussions about suggestions, which drove the noise/signal ratio in the thread up, so Steve opened up a discussion in the "suggestions about suggestions" thread about how we should manage the Suggestions board to optimize results.  Whatever the answer will be, Steve indicated in the post that one thread doesn't work:

Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
One thread for each suggestion is no good either as most of the time I will read a single suggestion thread, think it sounds like a good idea, don't have time to act on it immediately and then forget about it when I get distracted by something else.

So gang, could we please post questions/suggestions like this either in The Academy or in the official suggestions thread or in Aurora Chat?  I'm sorry to sound like a broken record here, but swamping Steve with noise is not the way to get our suggestions implemented.  Thanks!

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Yes, we've had the .NET discussion (it might even be near the beginning of the current official suggestions thread).  And, IIRC, there's a whole thread (or fragment thereof) on the mouse scroll wheel issue somewhere.
Sorry :( I should've posted this in The Academy. It's more of a question than a suggestion, as I'm sure Steve had considered VB.NET and I was just wondering why he was still with VB6. As a programmer myself, I'm just interested in this. Can you move this thread?
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:45:12 PM »
Can you move this thread?

Done.  Moved thread from Suggestions to The Academy.

On the VB.NET thing, I don't think it was actually "VB.NET" in the thread.  Gotta run, though, so can't track it down.

John

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 08:29:38 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Sorry :( I should've posted this in The Academy. It's more of a question than a suggestion, as I'm sure Steve had considered VB.NET and I was just wondering why he was still with VB6. As a programmer myself, I'm just interested in this.

Much of the basis of Aurora lies in the Starfire Assistant (SA) program Steve wrote last millenium, well before .NET was avaliable - IIRC Steve originally started SA to teach himself VB (as he was a C crafter before then).  I think theres a post about this here http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2187&start=0
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:10:36 AM »
The short version is Steve programs in Visual Basic 6 because that's what he knows, and to use anything else would mean putting Aurora on hold for months while he learned a new language, months more while he duplicated all the work that's been done so far, and then, maybe, if all that hadn't killed his interest, Steve would get back to adding new features and bug-fixing.

I don't think any of us want Aurora to take a two-year hiatus and maybe never come back.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:44:41 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
The short version is Steve programs in Visual Basic 6 because that's what he knows, and to use anything else would mean putting Aurora on hold for months while he learned a new language, months more while he duplicated all the work that's been done so far, and then, maybe, if all that hadn't killed his interest, Steve would get back to adding new features and bug-fixing.

I don't think any of us want Aurora to take a two-year hiatus and maybe never come back.

Amen to that!
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
No, I definitely don't want that.

OTOH, two years might be about the amount of time it takes me to figure this game out...  ;)