Author Topic: Mystery ship (spoiler?)  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Mystery ship (spoiler?)
« on: March 24, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »
A few game years ago, I encountered my first (5.42) alien ship just drifting between two jump points. It was completely stationary, and largely remained so for the following years. I had a scout on station to keep an eye on it, but nothing ever happened. Here's the observation data I ultimately gathered:

Cross section: 274
Estimated tonnage: 13700
Thermal signature: 2250
Observed speed: 8211 km/s
Estimated speed: 8211 km/s
Armour: 3
ECM: 30

Given it's puzzling nature, I eventually managed to build a couple of dropship-equipped assault carriers to try and capture it. Despite its tonnage and impressive speed, the vessel didn't appear to be armed, as it tried to flee whenever one of my ships tried to get closer than 30 million km or so. My first attempt speed failed largely due to the insufficient speed ratio between the target and my dropships (25k+ km/s). On my second try, a year or so later, I employed a squadron of HPM-armed corvettes: the ship came to a stop presumably when it couldn't see my units, so to infinitely boost the ratio for boarding, I would have the corvettes blind it.

That part of the operation went well, if a bit bizarrely. As far as I understood, microwaves weren't supposed to damage anything but electronics. However, somehow, they gradually slowed the target down through sustained fire and even caused a secondary explosion, meaning they were possibly damaging engines and/or potential reactors.

So once I had the alien vessel down to 455 km/s, I sent in the dropships. The 10 companies of marines landed perfectly, yet they ended up fighting a slow, losing battle. My ground unit strength technology was 25, and I had thought it was enough. But it wasn't, and eventually all my marines perished. I had the aliens vaporized with missiles in anger, despite surprisingly capable CIWS.

But now I'll never know (at least by conventional means) why the ship remained there all those years. Given the advanced technology and crew fighting strength, I assume it was a Precursor vessel that either ran out of ammunition, broke its jump drive and/or was damaged in a battle against an unknown NPR. But as far as I know, all Precursor ships are armed, and either this one got heavy damage exclusively to its armament (my corvettes went in as close as 10,000 km to fire on it, and the target never shot back) or wasn't a Precursor at all.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Facts? :o
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:18:55 PM by Shadow »

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Mystery ship
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 06:10:15 PM »
I've seen this too, it was a 125k-ton ship that was lurking near some wrecks, it had a salvo of what my sensors called missiles next to it.  but they must have been buoys or something as they never moved at all in the 2 years I kept an eye on them, it rammed my salvage vessels when they got close to the wrecks so I shot it with missiles.
Upon salvaging I found ECM4 and Cargo handling technology, so I have pretty much no idea what it was either, had a speed of around 8000 kms as well.
I think there is some bug in some of the spoiler ship designs

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Mystery ship
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:17:02 PM »
Havent ran into it yet myself.

You might want to put 'spoiler' in the thread title just in case!

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
Re: Mystery ship (spoiler?)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »
Done.

And I'd say this isn't necessarily the work of a bug. There are things out there in the universe we may not fully understand. ;)

I personally liked the mysterious aura around the enigmatic ship.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
Do you have swarm on? It might be one of the queen ships

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
It wouldn't be because of the size and speed.

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Yeah, those are multi-megaton vessel. What I did find was a 25-megaton wreck in an adjacent system.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=3397. msg32691#msg32691 date=1301011967

In my case at least, I could salvage it after destroying it, so I doubt it.

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »
By the way, soon after destroying the alien ship I discovered a destroyed outpost (ruins) on a fairly inhabitable planet in the same system, so the vessel might've been some bizarre kind of Precursor.

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 02:01:39 AM »
I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but no idea where it came from.  I'll spoiler it as it could lead to some fun that I have not seen anyone report.

I'm guessing its a troop transport.  If so maybe one of the spoilers can now make colonies and unleash some real fun.

Offline randal7

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 09:22:26 AM »
This is probably accidental, but it's still cool. I would like to see more things like this in the game (or in some game). These are aliens. They shouldn't be completely understandable. Every now and then you should find something that doesn't entirely make sense, or doesn't make sense at all. Like a ship that passes through your systems, surveying jump points or planets, or building gates, but completely ignoring you unless you shoot at it. Or a planet with alien orbitals that destroy any missile or military ship that comes close, but, again, otherwise ignores you. I'm sure everyone can think of similar things, that make you feel like you don't always know what is going on and sometimes can't do anything about it (without drastically affecting gameplay, of course).

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but no idea where it came from.  I'll spoiler it as it could lead to some fun that I have not seen anyone report.

I'm guessing its a troop transport.  If so maybe one of the spoilers can now make colonies and unleash some real fun.

You're correct, in fact. I just salvaged the vessel, and besides a nifty EM detection sensor, I could also extract two battalion-grade combat drop modules! Funny how the sensor survived to be salvaged despite the intense microwave damage the whole ship suffered at the hands of my Viking-class corvettes.

Might also explain why my marines had such a hard time, too: maybe the troop bays were loaded!

And as I mentioned earlier, I found ruins in the same system. So if you think about it, this could've been a pretty devious backstab.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:19:09 AM by Shadow »

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »
My first contact in Aurora was similar. The differences being that rather than fleeing when I got close the ship would try to ram my ships, and I later salvaged cryogenics from an existing wreck of the same class. I had to get very close so I'd guess it only had the default strength 1 passives.

When first encountered it was in orbit of a planet with ruins and robots. Now I wonder if the cryogenics were occupied. Could I have dropped some infrastructure on the planet and transfered the colony to that race ...

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »
If not, that would be totally awesome.  Breed a new race of hateful murderous aliens.

Offline Caesar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »
A short while ago, I discovered a ship not unlike this one, right next to a planet I had designated as a colony.

I never saw the civilians I had sent there again... Until my Combat Task Forces arrived!
What did I find out?
My civilian's ships were now actually theirs! Now I can be sure 'bout it and find some rest, though. Thanks.