Author Topic: Noob question on designing an asteroid miner  (Read 6552 times)

Offline Foolcow (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
Noob question on designing an asteroid miner
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:31:32 PM »
Under the Research tab on the F2 (economy) screen, I researched the Asteroid Mining Module technology, and that research project just finished.    I expected that I would then be able to design an asteroid mining component on the Design screen (Design button from F2 screen) but no such component seems to be there.    There is also no such component when I bring up the Class Design screen. 

So, how do I design and build a ship capable of extracting minerals from asteroids?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:39:49 PM by Foolcow »

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Noob question on designing an asteroid miner
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »
It should be on the Class Design screen, check and make sure you have not hidden commercial components on the screen?

Also, if you had the Class Design screen open when the research project completed then the component would not show as the Class Design screen will not refresh until you open it again.

Offline Foolcow (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Thanks for that; it was the refresh issue, as I already had the screen open.

So I've now designed and built a ship with several asteroid mining modules and sent it to a mineral rich asteroid.   But in the task group screen, there doesn't seem to be a mining order under "actions available. "  What else do I need to do?  Does it mine automatically as long as it's at the asteroid, and if so is there a way to see how much of each mineral is waiting for pickup?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
It will mine automatically and deposit the minerals on the asteroid.  You will need to designate the asteroid as a colony to make this work.

Brian

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 07:01:02 AM »
In my experience, asteroid miners will not work on worlds with gravity <0.1. Seems only automines/mass drivers work in these circumstances.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:06:37 AM »
In my experience, asteroid miners will not work on worlds with gravity <0.1. Seems only automines/mass drivers work in these circumstances.

Asteroid mining modules are only restricted to bodies tagged as asteroids.  I haven't used them is quite some time, but I don't recall Steve adding any gravity restriction to them.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley