Author Topic: Cold War Comments Thread  (Read 71922 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Cold War Comments Thread
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2020, 04:23:12 PM »
The Shanirian's have a large number of MSx's as their installations were in part intended to function as repair facilities.   But yeah it sure helps with refits or pre-fab construction.

Oh boy...given what happened I'd drop the crew grade of those sovietski ships one level...that has to have impacted them and not in a good way.

I'm rather surprised the governors didn't make at least an attempt at contacting the RC given the alternatives are being overrun by aliens or "helped" by another set of aliens.  Though they may think they can stand on their own...strictly speaking they are just following orders...  I'm vastly curious what the RC may be thinking...the whole situation has to be giving both the military and the politicians collective fits.

Removed in the Edit: I spotted what the 19 ships were...joy for the russians the T'Pau still have not been seen...
Ask and you shall receive!

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2020, 11:00:18 AM »
Thanks Kurt!

Hmmm...I had discounted the whole New CO-Dominion alliance as not very likely...I still see it as very unlikely to last long...but we shall see what happens.  Clearly the aliens, not to speak of the crabs aren't going anywhere but the alliance is so inherently unstable and we have a young Stalin...and purges...well it sure won't be dull!

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
Thanks Kurt!

Hmmm...I had discounted the whole New CO-Dominion alliance as not very likely...I still see it as very unlikely to last long...but we shall see what happens.  Clearly the aliens, not to speak of the crabs aren't going anywhere but the alliance is so inherently unstable and we have a young Stalin...and purges...well it sure won't be dull!

The Coalition is in a difficult position here.  In spite of their truce with the D'Bringi, they have not forgotten that the D'Bringi launched unprovoked attacks on mining outposts in the Solar System.  They don't really trust them.  Not that they trust the Soviets, but they've coexisted with the Soviets in the Solar System for decades, and feel that they can trust them to act in a certain way, whereas, the aliens are, well, aliens.  Who knows what they are going to do. 

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2020, 01:11:28 AM »
Given the actions and rhetorics of Marshal Kosygin, alliance with D'Bringi almost seems like safer option.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2020, 01:37:32 AM »
I'm very much expecting him to launch a military coup, but the Rehorish and D'Bringi simply can't be trusted as allies.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2020, 12:08:28 PM »
Well Kurt my take on this only...

The RC is thinking the Sovietski's will be like hungry for a deal...and while that sorta makes sense for the older Sovietski's I aint sure the young Stalin is thinking like that...they didn't go to the RC the RC will be coming to them...I think the concessions would be virtually non-existent.  The RC abandoned them once, the Sovietski's likely know the RC can't allow the aliens in Sol and while the RC may have issues about civilian casualties I doubt young stalin cares in the least.  So to me I think they are basing their plan on some very shaky assumption on the Sovietskis.

I agree you can't trust the alien scum further than you can toss an assault shuttle.  But I'd also think even if they don't know it...they can trust the young Stalin even less...he knows they betrayed the motherland I can't imagine that he won't repay them for that.

I still think their only valid option is to take the sovietski's out of the picture and then deal with the aliens...   The Rehnorish have to secure that nexus near their homeworld...they have no option so that is a fight to the knife...since no one seems to know where the D'bringi homeworld is....exciting times.

Anyway...I have a bad feeling about what is to happen...

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2020, 08:57:13 PM »
How will the Soviets respond to the new Tomsk Union when they find out about it? I suspect the guy currently in charge won't like it.  How soon will the new shipyards be able to produce ships?

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2020, 08:52:24 AM »
How will the Soviets respond to the new Tomsk Union when they find out about it? I suspect the guy currently in charge won't like it.  How soon will the new shipyards be able to produce ships?

Well, their feelings about it, and their reception by the Tomsk Union and the Bjering will pretty much depend on the manner of their return.  If they return with a big and powerful fleet, with their enemies fleeing before them, then I'm sure the Tomsk Union will say something along the lines of "Look, see what we kept together for you!".  Anything else depends on the situation.  I'm sure the governors, and particularly Governor Orlov, would prefer independence, but that will be very situational.  The Bjering would probably prefer an independent buffer state on their border, too.  Still too many wild cards to say how this will all work out. 

Kurt

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2020, 11:56:36 AM »
There is the possibility that the friendly aliens are planning to D'bringi the D'bringi ...or not...with Moskova gone though the other sovietski colonies are now cut off from the RC right?  Is the sovietski fleet (such as it remains) in Sol or still on the other side near the WP?

Where are the RC forces?

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2020, 08:54:17 AM »
There is the possibility that the friendly aliens are planning to D'bringi the D'bringi ...or not...with Moskova gone though the other sovietski colonies are now cut off from the RC right?  Is the sovietski fleet (such as it remains) in Sol or still on the other side near the WP?

Where are the RC forces?

New alien races are always a risk. 

The Soviet Fleet has retreated into the Solar System, although it has scouts out watching the D'Bringi fleet in Moskva. 

The Coalition 1st fleet is in the Moskva system, shadowing the D'Bringi fleet at a respectful distance.  Neither the D'Bringi or the Coalition are very comfortable with this, but neither wants to provoke the other.  It is an unstable situation, with a lot of warships gathered in one place.  The D'Bringi and the Coalition want to avoid increasing tensions or having an accident that would start a war between them, so they are keeping about a light minute between their fleets.   

Kurt

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2020, 01:19:15 PM »
Well with the 12 DDs the sovietski's suddenly have a fleet again.  Have you considered 11 HS ES and full sized FG?  Assuming the Sovietski's can build 11 HS/turn these two would be able to be pumped out.  The FGs could mount 2P and a T this would make them very dangerous at close range to the warp point where they could tractor a ship and the next turn remove a critical system.  The ES could carry F and snipe from long range (easily have -4 or -5 to hit).  I did the first thing in my first game under like 2nd edition rules where I had 25 HS DD, 50 HS CA and 75 HS BCs that were "war" designs.  I also used odd sized hulls in the munich game where I was playing a J engine race and had to like get them into jump carriers.

I think it is going to hinge a lot on what happens this turn...if the sovietski's get 3 turns to recover the warp point to sol will be seriously sewed up.  If the D'bringi assault goes in before the RC alliance is formalised things will be more than a bit exciting.

The crabs are frankly at the point where they are starting to pose a serious threat to that colony.   If nothing else the situation should drive home to the RC how untenable a shared system is when the peoples are not the best of friends.

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2020, 03:36:25 PM »
Well with the 12 DDs the sovietski's suddenly have a fleet again.  Have you considered 11 HS ES and full sized FG?  Assuming the Sovietski's can build 11 HS/turn these two would be able to be pumped out.  The FGs could mount 2P and a T this would make them very dangerous at close range to the warp point where they could tractor a ship and the next turn remove a critical system.  The ES could carry F and snipe from long range (easily have -4 or -5 to hit).  I did the first thing in my first game under like 2nd edition rules where I had 25 HS DD, 50 HS CA and 75 HS BCs that were "war" designs.  I also used odd sized hulls in the munich game where I was playing a J engine race and had to like get them into jump carriers.

I think it is going to hinge a lot on what happens this turn...if the sovietski's get 3 turns to recover the warp point to sol will be seriously sewed up.  If the D'bringi assault goes in before the RC alliance is formalised things will be more than a bit exciting.

The crabs are frankly at the point where they are starting to pose a serious threat to that colony.   If nothing else the situation should drive home to the RC how untenable a shared system is when the peoples are not the best of friends.

The Tarek (crabs) really hate the Coalition, and humans in general, but, and this is a big but, they are firmly aware that the humans have at least one system beyond their own.  And while the biggest ship they have seen is a cruiser, there is no guarantee that that is the biggest ship that the humans have.  The Tarek really want to attack Wunderland, but fear human tech, which they know to be in advance of theirs, and the size of the human navy, which is a completely unknown data point.  They have a goal, but are aware that they don't have enough information to have an intelligent plan to achieve that goal.  Right now their plan is, essentially, (Growth+tech increase+something unknown but probably clever=victory).  As long as there is that big unknown in the middle of the equation they will wait, and watch.  For now.  Unless they get even madder and just decide to throw everything out and go for the goal regardless. 

In my previous campaigns I got irritated with the rules that said that a one-system, sometimes one planet, NPR would declare war on a galaxy-spanning empire, because "reasons".  If they are crazy or chauvinistic that might happen, but it should be unusual for a race to declare war on a star-traveling race in that situation, in my opinion.  That doesn't mean that they'll just bend over and take it, either, but open aggression against a race so powerful you aren't even a bump in the road to them is not a survival oriented decision. 

Kurt

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2020, 08:36:37 AM »
Ouch, that hurt the Soviets, the enemy now has intel on where to look for Sol, and they lost those assets for little gain.  Hopefully the politicians can organise an alliance before their enemies can join forces.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2020, 11:00:58 AM »
Yeah but I have to say the Shanirian's have been stuck with some ugly results of that sort...3 races (the seals, the aussies, and the martians) for the most part they were more or less lucky the Shanirian's are more inclined to just leave them be rather than attack.  The RM and the Simean's made a 100 roll and averted a "hostile takeover."   But I agree the NPRs should behave sensibly...though in this case that must be like sand under the shell to them...

The damage the EXs did is surprising since the first point of damage either way kills an engine...so the EXs would be without drivefields when they ram...but *throws up hands in disgust* the rules are horrid with ramming, one thing that I think J'Rill EAVs does better.  They still accomplished about what I thought they would...even less, but then that was due to the warning...without that warning the attack might have been a bit more costly.  They should not have attempted to ram the CTs...though I doubt that would have really made much difference as the DDs were clearly the intended first wave.

Any reason you didn't send 7 DDs through or are they only speed 6?

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2020, 09:14:56 AM »
Yeah but I have to say the Shanirian's have been stuck with some ugly results of that sort...3 races (the seals, the aussies, and the martians) for the most part they were more or less lucky the Shanirian's are more inclined to just leave them be rather than attack.  The RM and the Simean's made a 100 roll and averted a "hostile takeover."   But I agree the NPRs should behave sensibly...though in this case that must be like sand under the shell to them...

The damage the EXs did is surprising since the first point of damage either way kills an engine...so the EXs would be without drivefields when they ram...but *throws up hands in disgust* the rules are horrid with ramming, one thing that I think J'Rill EAVs does better.  They still accomplished about what I thought they would...even less, but then that was due to the warning...without that warning the attack might have been a bit more costly.  They should not have attempted to ram the CTs...though I doubt that would have really made much difference as the DDs were clearly the intended first wave.

Any reason you didn't send 7 DDs through or are they only speed 6?

I use the pulsed movement chart for tactical combat, which means there are six movement impulses, and thus only six ships can go through the warp point per turn. 

Kurt