Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 263536 times)

Offline TheBawkHawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1935 on: December 13, 2018, 10:37:01 PM »
Well, that settles it! I'll see if I can't get started on writing something up. I guess a good question to ask now is... where to post it?

edit: Quick analysis of the fleets I'm going to be using, and the total number of warships in the mainline fleets:

Off-Topic: show
Main Line:

Battlefleets 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8
Crusade Fleet (with Titan) 1
Expeditionary Fleets 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9
Patrol Squadron 1

Support Fleets:

Tanker Fleets 1, 2, 3
Transport Flotilla 2
Dropship Flotilla 1
Resupply Fleets 3, 4, 5, 6
Repair Ship 1
Bombardment Group 1
Survey Ships 1, 2, 3, 4

Total Warships in the Main Line:
TT:    1
DN:   7
CV:   4
BB:   15
CLE:  17
CC:   35
CA:   55
CVL:  30
DDG: 65
DD:   45
DE:   25
FF:   115
ES:   52
FB:   552
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:45:22 PM by TheBawkHawk »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1936 on: December 14, 2018, 12:58:12 PM »
Well, that settles it! I'll see if I can't get started on writing something up. I guess a good question to ask now is... where to post it?

edit: Quick analysis of the fleets I'm going to be using, and the total number of warships in the mainline fleets:

Off-Topic: show
Main Line:

Battlefleets 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8
Crusade Fleet (with Titan) 1
Expeditionary Fleets 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9
Patrol Squadron 1

Support Fleets:

Tanker Fleets 1, 2, 3
Transport Flotilla 2
Dropship Flotilla 1
Resupply Fleets 3, 4, 5, 6
Repair Ship 1
Bombardment Group 1
Survey Ships 1, 2, 3, 4

Total Warships in the Main Line:
TT:    1
DN:   7
CV:   4
BB:   15
CLE:  17
CC:   35
CA:   55
CVL:  30
DDG: 65
DD:   45
DE:   25
FF:   115
ES:   52
FB:   552

The fiction forum?

Offline TheBawkHawk

• T
« Reply #1937 on: December 14, 2018, 07:38:42 PM »
Oh yeah, the fiction forum exits. Doh. Don't know I forgot about that... I visit it nearly every week!

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #1938 on: January 24, 2019, 08:03:24 AM »
Just encountered a new NPR.  They call themselves the Batman Republic.  Should I be worried?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1939 on: January 24, 2019, 02:36:47 PM »
Just encountered a new NPR.  They call themselves the Batman Republic.  Should I be worried?

Depends. . .   Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?

(P.S.:   I hear they're crazy prepared.  You're almost certainly going to lose, but on the bright side you probably won't die.  Have fun confined to the three systems of the Arkham Asylum cluster. . . at least until you inevitably escape.)

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • M
« Reply #1940 on: January 24, 2019, 04:05:31 PM »
But somehow he'll always find you in the Gotham galaxy no matter how many ships you have.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #1941 on: January 24, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »
Worst thing is their diplomacy is limited to them just saying "I'm BATMAN"  waste of resources learning their language and establishing communications if you ask me!
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #1942 on: January 30, 2019, 02:32:29 PM »
But somehow he'll always find you in the Gotham galaxy no matter how many ships you have.

I did name their home star Gotham, and the star next to it Arkham (that one's full of hostile spoilers).  Obvious, I guess!

Offline Rye123

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Hi.
« Reply #1943 on: February 04, 2019, 11:16:21 PM »
So, err, today I learnt I didn't need 20 fire controls for 20 anti-missile launchers since they target each incoming salvo and not each incoming missile...

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1944 on: February 05, 2019, 12:35:05 PM »
What a useful learning experience!  ;D

Inspired by the conventional, 0 RP warships that were recently shown in the Bureau, I started a test game to test conventional space war out. The Atlantic Federation and the Pacific Alliance are locked in Cold War situation on Earth but are both racing to build warships to duke things out ASAP. The first generation ships will use only conventional components, with one exception being made for Active Sensor Sensitivity 10 so that the ships can actually scan the skies for enemies. Weaponry will consist only of re-purposed ICBMs to begin with.

At the moment, the first ships are being built, I'm looking forward to the battle of the Moon to see which side wins the first round.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1945 on: February 05, 2019, 05:14:31 PM »
I'm looking forward to the battle of the Moon to see which side wins the first round.

And then you will write up the AAR and post it here for all of us to enjoy?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1946 on: February 06, 2019, 08:39:18 AM »
I'm looking forward to the battle of the Moon to see which side wins the first round.

And then you will write up the AAR and post it here for all of us to enjoy?
Ask and you shall receive: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10264.0

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #1947 on: February 13, 2019, 01:14:23 AM »
I made these two threads before remembering that this thread exists, oh well.

The conclusion of the outbreak of third world war in 1982 following the Warsaw Pact's pre-emptive strike in response to NATO's "Able Archer" exercise, which was seen from the Kremlin as NATO's preparation for their own recreation of "Operation Barbarossa", devoured earth in a nuclear firestorm. Descending into a over a decade long radioactive nuclear winter, during which majority of the world governments perished on their own or were conquered by the hurt but still functioning Soviet Army, whose doctrine had prepared it for a nuclear war unlike their opponents. Historians still argue whether the war ended after some of the surviving leadership of NATO members declared surrender, in January 1983, or when the last NATO military elements in Spain were destroyed in summer, 1989.

In one of the remaining "Closed Cities", one particular research complex near the shattered radioactive remains of the Ural mountain range. The research of the nuclear war's effects to atmosphere discovered some neutrons behaving erratically. Theories explaining this were created and shot down, testings followed and observations were made. Until weeks later, a startling conclusion was made; these "neutrons" were a completely new element, an element that defies laws of physics. Test samples could be accelerated to a fraction of a light-speed instantly. These new elements that defies everything the Newton had taught were fittingly named as "Trans-Newtonian" elements.

Unfortunately, this discovery could not be exploited until 24th of December, 2032. When the global situation had stabilized to the point that reconstruction and feeding the people didn't demand all of the available resources. "Molnya-O" Space rocket constructed almost completely out of trans-newtonian elements was launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, which carried a payload of a single "Kosmos" Geological surveillance satellite. Propelled by four powerful 3T94 solid-fuel rockets, the rocket reached it's destination, earth's moon, in mere minutes. While the Warsaw Pact's first space mission in decades failed to find any trans-newtonian elements on the moon, it's still regarded as the turning point when humanity had completed it's recovery from the war and began the unstoppable march of progress.

Since then, several space missions were launched, trans-newtonian mineral deposits were found on Mars, Venus and several asteroids. The following decades saw a lunar colony established, mars colonized and terraformed. This growth was stumped however, when the Duranium deposits on earth were exhaused and demand of it only grew. Only large sources were Venus and Titan, of which the former saw the launch of a terraforming program with several terraforming installations constructed on it's hostile surface.

After years of enormous effort and intense research into terraforming technologies, it was realized that it's colonization would be too cost-intensive to be justified in a hundred year, and in all quietness the Saturn's moon "Titan" had a gulag established to mine the desperately needed Duranium deposits it had. It took decades of tried and failed terraforming which only succeeded to remove the lethal methane gas from the atmosphere, but leaving the surface still lethally cold. By 2083 the environmental and life-support systems had been advanced enough to make Titan's "colony" sustainable to the point that less than 76% of the colony population could be directed to mining works rather than keeping themselves alive with environmental maintenance and hydroponics. However, despite the best of soviet technological sciences at the time, the colony could only sustain so many people before the needs of environmentals increased, thus cutting on the workforce available for the mines.

Fuel harvesters were constructed to improve the logistics of expanding a maintaining the colony, not to mention providing a refueling spot for the freighters coming and going.

With various breakthroughs in fields of mining technologies, gulag's annual duranium output peaking at little more than 3,000 million tons. To alleviate the situation, asteroid mining vessels were constructed and organized under new "Asteroid Mining Division" of the Bureau of Logistics and Colonization. Shortages prevented further construction efforts and these new asteroid miners while still helpful, couldn't increase the total duranium production together with the civilian mining sites to solve the chronic shortages. Mere 4,400~ million tons total a year would set the limit on the march of progress for the Soviet Union for almost a century.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:17:15 AM by Marski »

The following users thanked this post: Cavgunner, GodEmperor

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1948 on: February 15, 2019, 09:39:19 PM »
About 6 months earlier in my campaign, I discovered a +30% C&P anomaly on the far side of 2 level 1 nebula systems.  20 billion km away from Earth, my hope for exploiting it depended largely on finding a short cut.  A system recently cleared of Swarm had a jump point that opened into an already known system... in an otherwise useless deadend.

Then I discovered a +70% C&P anomaly one system beyond a former Precursor system, only 15 billion km from Earth, with only 2 jump gates required to connect it.  As an RP matter, I have the exploration and survey crews engage in real estate speculation and insider trading to augment their pay and to justify the huge risks they take.  The real estate market for Clahn just crashed as the news from Viebled IV came in.  Especially as Viebled III is cost zero, and there are a lot of terrestrials and moons in Viebled left to survey.

Astrographers are concerned that with systems opening up on previously explored systems we might run out of open jump points to explore.  But with so many systems with ruins to exploit, our economic expansion plans are to build Military Academies and Ground Force Training Facilities.

The following users thanked this post: Marski

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #1949 on: February 17, 2019, 03:03:26 PM »
So far, no new jump connections have actually made it faster to get from Earth to anywhere, but we did have one notable development.  All the warp chains from Sol are now connected.  The Sol-Farreach-Chiav chain now connects to the Sol-Plian-Thengo-Dalazh chain.

The Sol-Plian-Thengo chain had recently connected to the Sol-Sansibar-Elfiabr chain.

The former Swarm system of Thengo apparently connected to quite a big part of the galaxy.

The Plian, Sansibar and Farreach network is far larger than the Ninjar, Querion, Shayou chains, but Shayou contains the oldest colony, and currently the most important mining site, as measured by Duranium production.  Earth Duranium production recently fell to third place, as mines were shifted to Shayou Gateway, falling behind the production of the 1st extra solar cost 0 colony world of Hissan's Prize (I name the planet after the Geo Survey team that discovered high availability Duranium deposits.)

The Ninjar-Querion-Shayou chains have only one unsurveyed system and no unprobed jump points.

The following users thanked this post: Marski