Author Topic: Unable to Select Engine Platform for Research  (Read 1518 times)

Offline DrLucky (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
Unable to Select Engine Platform for Research
« on: October 23, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
Hi folks,

(Very) new to the game here.   

I'm trying to follow along the tutorials.   I realize they're a bit out-of-date, but I'm struggling with making civilian engines.

I started with a Trans-Newtonian race, and de-selected the checkbox that automatically chooses tech.

The tutorials refer to "7 drop downs" when designing an engine.   I see only 5:
Engine technology
Power / Efficiency Modifiers
Fuel Consumption
Thermal Reduction
Engine Size

There are instructions referring to "engine platform" - where I'd select Naval / Commercial / FAC / Fighter type, presumably.   This drop down is not evident for me. 

I did some searching, and turned up a tech-tree.   I assume it might be somewhat out-of-date, but it shows "Commercial Engines" as a tech.   When I go to the Research tab, I don't see that under Power / Propulsion using any of the Available / Completed filters.   (that is, I don't seem to have it as a possible tech, now or ever, nor have I completed it). 

In contrast, "Civilian Jump Engines" *is* an available tech.

I've installed the 6. 10 version of aurora (although I tried this previously using 6. 00).   Perhaps I messed up the install?  The Aurora. exe and . mdb file were both from the 6. 10 version.

Any input appreciated, I can't seem to run this one down.

DrLucky

Offline DrLucky (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
Re: Unable to Select Engine Platform for Research
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:38:04 PM »
Oh good, the self-reply:

I'll leave this up here in case other rookies can search and find the answer.

In the latest version (as explained by a text block in the middle of the design screen), a Civilian engine must have size 25 HS or greater and power x 0. 50 or lower.   Then it selects as a civilian engine.   Not sure about FAC engines, but Fighter and Jump engines are separate research topics.

I swear, Officer,  I batted this around for a couple hours and then searched for answer for a while after that. . .

DrLucky

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:41:08 PM »
Dang, I was too slow typing.

Anyway, here is a link to the post describing the engine changes. Starting with version 6.0 the old Military/FAC/Fighter etc distinctions were replaced by an expanded Power / Efficiency modifier tech line.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:58:02 AM »
Just a note in case you go diving back into the tutorials: 6.0/6.10 just came out recently, so all the tutorials are written in reference to the previous version, 5.60 (or earlier, though a kind gentleman here has been going through and updating/enhancing the wiki).

Offline Traveler

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
What page do I use to design engines?

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 03:54:03 PM »
Create Research Projects button from the system view window. Or the 'Design' button from the Population and Production window. Or the 'Design Tech' button from the Class Design window. Any of those will bring up the Create Research Project window where you can design various ship components to be researched. One of the dropdowns is for engines.

Offline Traveler

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Thank you sir. 
Although I've researched new engine tech, new engine types do not appear in the drop down windows in the ship component design page.  I can't seem to design new engines based on the research projects I've created.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 05:25:32 PM »
Have you closed and reopened the design tech window? It doesn't update with new available tech until you do.