Author Topic: Civilian colony ships  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Traveler (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
Civilian colony ships
« on: December 04, 2012, 05:58:51 PM »
The civvies built a colony ship and are sending colonists from Earth to Mars.
There are presently .33m people on Mars with an infrastructure that can support 1.0m.

Will the civvies be smart enough to stop immigration when they reach the 1.0m infrastructure limit?

If not, how can I prevent the lemmings from entering vacuum, besides building more infrastructure? 

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Civilian colony ships
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:21:25 PM »
There are presently .33m people on Mars with an infrastructure that can support 1.0m.

Will the civvies be smart enough to stop immigration when they reach the 1.0m infrastructure limit?

If not, how can I prevent the lemmings from entering vacuum, besides building more infrastructure? 

Of course they won't.

You should be able to set the colony as a source, rather than destination for colonists. F2, Civilian tab.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »

Civs will only transport colonists if there is room at the destination. Occasionally some will check this at the same time so you will go a little over the capacity but not usually by very much.

Steve

Offline Traveler (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 06:40:04 PM »
Thanks for that.  The two check boxes, Source of Colonists and Stable, are grayed out on Mars.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:43:36 PM by Traveler »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 06:43:56 PM »
Thanks for that.  The two check boxes, Source of Colonists and Stable, are grayed out on Mars.

Stable would be what you want when it gets available. Usually when the colony is at 25m population.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 06:01:20 AM »
Civs will only transport colonists if there is room at the destination. Occasionally some will check this at the same time so you will go a little over the capacity but not usually by very much.

Steve

Steve, as of 6.1 this isn't occuring.  Routinely the civillians drop too many people for the existing infrastructure.  They load a colony ship fully and off load it.  If that is too much for the infrastructure then too bad.  With Luna and Mars even though they are set to stable and hence should be not targets they get colonization.  But Venus (which is below the limit of 25 m where you can turn off colonization) routinely ends up with -25% growth rates from mini colonization dumps.

I had to prepare 800 pts of infrastructure because when I open Io for colonization there 1.3 million people currently in the civillian colony ships and I am near certain they would get dumped on the moon the moment I put down my 30,000 starter colony.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
What I've determined is that every colony ship checks individually whether the target colony has enough space.  An individual ship will decide on a delivery as soon as the colony is able to house its current complement of frozen civilians.  If two (or more) ships make this decision simultaneously, oh well.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »
It's working fine for me. And the new overpopulation unrest thing (where it starts only after a certain amount of overcrowding) has also largely eliminated it being an annoyance. Largely, because I still had a few times where the unrest has increased (I have 2 civilian lines with over 100 ships each, so that's understandable).

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
Also, the civilians should automatically ship the trade-good infrastructure from your homeworld.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 02:27:05 PM »
Also, the civilians should automatically ship the trade-good infrastructure from your homeworld.

Unless, of course, you're keeping them busy with contracts and manually shipping your own infrastructure to the colonies.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »
Unless, of course, you're keeping them busy with contracts and manually shipping your own infrastructure to the colonies.
Like this?

I actually made the order for around 60,000 infrastructure, but they've shipped a lot of it already. ;D

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »
Why are you building infrastructure and then paying to ship it?
Your civilians will build it, ship it, and pay you tax if you leave them alone.
A moderate population (600 million) will produce several thousand infrastructure a year and the civilian shipping lines will pay tax to you like any other trade goods.

Offline Shaitan

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »
A moderate population (600 million) will produce several thousand infrastructure a year and the civilian shipping lines will pay tax to you like any other trade goods.

I have had demand for civilian constructed infrastructure outstrip supply before, though admittedly I was colonising a lot of sub optimal bodies, just because I wanted to.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 10:18:19 AM »

Because setting up contracts is the only way I can direct the development of my colonies.  If I let the civilians handle it, they will only deliver infrastructure to the first colony I set up (in 5.62.  I've read this is fixed in 6.0+, but I can't upgrade in the middle of my LP).