Author Topic: Deployment Time and Commercial Vessels  (Read 3231 times)

Offline deoved (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Deployment Time and Commercial Vessels
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:49:59 AM »
Do i realy need deployment time above 3 month in my freighter and colony ship designs? There is no notification when commercial vessel exeedes their deployment time and i did not notice any penalties doing that.

Offline AcidWeb

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Deployment Time and Commercial Vessels
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:09:03 AM »
Morale is dropping even on civilian vessels when deployment time was exceeded.
But i don't know that impact ship performance.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 04:10:23 AM »
There are two answers to this.

No you don't.  The crews will complain and their morale will drop and this doesn't affect the ship at all at least in 6.1 (and I don't think in 6.2 where I think that morale for ships that are unaffected by morale is removed).  Principly you could reduce the time even below 3 months.

Yes you do.  The crews will complain and their morale will drop and if you are role playing this is/can be a big issue for you.  Not to mention the constant complaints that show up in the event list.

So the real answer is that is up to you if you do or don't.  I sent crews on ships designed for 6 months on journeys twice that...but the first chance I got I upped their crew endurance.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 05:57:02 AM »
Be careful.   Dropping below 3 months will make your civilian ship a military design and trigger maintenance checks.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 06:48:32 AM »
See http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4835.msg56433.html#msg56433

If you have less than 3 months deployment time for a ship, it will be classed as a military vessel. Although most commercial vessels will not be affected by low morale, they still suffer from it. The three month requirement for commercial is to ensure that freighters, etc. will have some room for the crew.

Sometimes it will be worth having longer than 3 months for a commercial vessel though, such as a commercial-engined geosurvey ship.

Steve

Offline Traveler

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
Are there disadvantages to having longer than 3 months for commercial vehicles, or military vehicles for that matter?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »
You need more crew quarters if you want longer deployment and that means more tonnage, so I suppose that is a disadvantage.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 03:03:11 AM »
See http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4835.msg56433.html#msg56433

If you have less than 3 months deployment time for a ship, it will be classed as a military vessel. Although most commercial vessels will not be affected by low morale, they still suffer from it. The three month requirement for commercial is to ensure that freighters, etc. will have some room for the crew.

Sometimes it will be worth having longer than 3 months for a commercial vessel though, such as a commercial-engined geosurvey ship.

Steve

Ok I missed the part about a change to military for less than 3 months.  But my current freighters/fuel harvesters have 24 months crew endurance as the trips they are on are minimum of 1 year long.  I'm fairly sure most of my comercial ships have endurances of 12 months although there are exceptions.  I hate the constant pestering about morale.  I do use the morale message for my geosurvey ship to know when to pull the team off the rock they are ground surveying and go back for a break.  My tramp freighters have less endurance but they are planned to go from one settlement to another so they can always go on shore leave.